when i hold a guitar pick i hold it with my thumb, index finger, and middle finger(like a paintbrush).. is this not good? ive been playing for a year and a half so im very used to doing this.
You should only be using two fingers.

I'm assuming you're holding it from the top. That is wrong, you need to be using two fingers coming in from the side. Your thumb should make a right angle with the center line of the pick.
Member #1 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club
PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo

Ibanez RG1570
Tone Zone
Paf Pro
Aria STG-003DX
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Boss DD-20
MXR ZW-44
Boss TU-2
You can hold the pic any way you want... if it works that is...
I hold it with two fingers
Maybe you cant do pinch harmonics cuz u have a crappy guitar, I used to have a very old one, and I thought I wasnt going to be able to make ph ever... I bought a new one and it solved the problem lol.
Eh, proper pick holding technique?

I smell bull shit. Really now I can do pinch harmonics just fine and from the decription I'm pretty sure that's how I hold my picks too most of the time. I rotate them some in my fingers based on things like Palm Muting and such so that it's always at the best angle for me.
Quote by RadioMuse
Eh, proper pick holding technique?

I smell bull shit. Really now I can do pinch harmonics just fine and from the decription I'm pretty sure that's how I hold my picks too most of the time. I rotate them some in my fingers based on things like Palm Muting and such so that it's always at the best angle for me.

same here, jean simmons used the rock on/metal horns symbol as he held his pick...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
OK i hold my pick just like You with my thumb and index and middle finger. i can do pinch harmonics fine. James Hetfield i believe also holds his pick like that.

There is no proper pick holding technique thats bullshit you just hold it in a way that is most comfortable to you. I tried the other way and i hated it so i play my way there is no wrong way. If you want to hold it with your thumb and your pinky ****ing go for it who cares if you can still play good it doesnt matter
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I think all those ways work fine, but the one that is the most preferred index 90 degrees to thumb is favoured because your thumb is in more control so you can alter your picking dynamics. the method with index, thumb and middle finger requires you to use your wrist more, and your wrist isn't as capable of intricate movement like your thumb.

Each to their own though.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
There is a correct way - it's in every guitar beginners book on the planet. But that doesn't have to stop you from having your own technique. Myself, I do it the textbook way, always have without even noticing. There's nothing wrong or shitty about holding it a different way really..