hi, i have a bit of a problem tapping, whenever i tap there is less sound from the note tapped than the noise from the pickups picking up (no pun intended) vibrations from the other strings. what am i doing wrong? i watch all these videos and those guys have it perfect, no extra noise. wtf?
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
your tapping finger may be going too wild, and you may have to be controlling to other strings more. you have to put some pressure on some of teh other strings so that they don't ring.

hope i helped

p. s. control that tapping index (or middle finger, if youre on drugs) so that it only makes contact with one string

i take back what said about putting pressure on the other strings. it doesn't matter. just focus on getting contact with only one string
Make sure you are muting the otehr strings, and make sure you are doing your hammer and pulloff correctly when you tap to avoid hitting other strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i have trouble getting the tap to sound out at all, even tho im "tapping" the string as hard as i can. any help with that?
The sound doesn't come as much from the hammer on but the trail of pulloffs.
Play with a metronome, it could be a timing issue. Think of the clicks in patterns of 3's.

Start out on the low E string, its less sensitive to just about anything and do this pattern.

-h10p-7p-4-h10p-7p-4 etc.

Start with the timing at hm, lets say 120 or so, and play in 3 4, so you'd be playing quarter notes, making the sound once per click, in 3 click/note cycles. Build the speed up to about 160 spending at least a minute at every 5-10 second interval. Once you get to 160 or higher go back to 120 and go to the high E string and try not to kill the strings but fluently and using finesse, tap and increase the speed.

Once you master that string try the B or G string, they take more accuracy to hammer and pulloff between the strings to prevent excess string noise.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Practice good string muting techniques, they are 100% essiental in tapping and legato usage. Keep your right hand slightly on the strings not being tapped and use your left hand to barre over the non-played strings to clean things up. Your always going to get some noise but good practice of that will help.