alright i dont know if this is the right forum... so please dont flame me and report me and such.. .i tried to find the right forum as besti could.. anyways...

um... so im lookin to raise the strings from the fretboard in hopes of eliminating a tiny fret buzz on the 12th fret... ive got the allen key right here...

which way do i turn it?
"Lies, sanctions, and cruise missles have never created a free and just society. Only everyday people can do that." -Zack de la Rocha

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
I'd be careful doing this, it's better to take it to a guitar tech or professional because its real easy to mess up your neck.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncan SH-6 in bridge)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Duncan Hotrails in bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender SCN Pickups)
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
First. If you want more space between the strings and the neck, you want to have more relief in your guitar neck... not straighten it out. Second, try raising the action. You'll get more out of it then you would by bowing your neck more.

*Also, don't mess with the trus rod too much. When you do modify it, you should only end up turning it a half a turn or so. Any more can ruin your guitar neck.
i know im asking which way do i turn for more relief
"Lies, sanctions, and cruise missles have never created a free and just society. Only everyday people can do that." -Zack de la Rocha

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix
WAIT!!!!! Don't do anything.

Seriously, don't listen to these n00bs. You have to take certain steps before doing that kind of adjustment.

First, gauge your neck relief. Put a capo on your first fret, hold down the low E at the last fret, and look at the gap between the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of your E string. There should be a gap there, but no greater than the width of a credit card. Do that before making ANY adjustments to your truss rod.

From the sound of it, if you're only getting buzzing at your 12th fret, you may have an uneven fret that may need to be re-filed or replaced. But do that measurement first before doing anything else.

Second, you will not harm your guitar in any way if you do truss rod adjustments properly. And that doesn't mean "very slowly." It means doing it in small increments (1/4 of a turn at a time) and letting the guitar rest between adjustments, so it can conform to the changes you've made.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 7, 2007,
wow ... haha nevermind no worries i just busted it... dirk you were like honestly 1 minute too late aha... oh well at least it was only 100$ ... it was a nice guitar though :'( picked it up at a pawn shop... **** im actually right depressed now

no
i heard a huuuge snap and now when i turn the truss rod theres no tension at all... it just turns over and over

but the guitar still works the same... just buzzy a bit ... but like.. will the neck slowly rip off now or something

No, it'll just start to bow and there won't be anything you can do about it.
Hi, I'm Peter
which way will it bow? the way which makes it buzz or the way which puts a huge gap between the strings asnd the fretboard

well, the truss rod needs something on the end to keep pressure on the neck. Eventually, it'll bow under the pressure of the strings, increasing the amount of bow.
Hi, I'm Peter
alright thanks... nothin i can do about it but get a new one put in right? and that costs a pile right?