I want to buy a guitar for my 11 year old son. He played a lot of guitars and loves the Seagull S6. Now, I see there's also a "Slim" model. I've been reading that the only difference between the two is the size of the nut. Doesn't that mean it will have a smaller neck? If so, doesn't that affect the sound in any way or is it just preference of the "feel" of the neck? Someone told me the original model will sound warmer or richer, having a thicker neck (true?). Even though he's only 11, he has big hands. Is the S6 more for younger beginners? I just want to make the right purchase. Thanks for any help on this!

Marty
the difference is actually the nut width, not the neck thickness. the nut on the slim model is slightly less wide. this just means that the fretboard won't be quite as wide. it shouldn't have any effect on tone. typically the smaller nut is geared towards younger players, female players, or other players with smaller hands... but that doesn't mean that it's only for those groups. it's really just a matter of personal preference. see if you can't find a slim model for your son to play and compare with the original. the only real drawback that comes to mind from the smaller nut is that it isn't as suitable for fingerstyle, but you can certainly still play fingerstyle with the slim... it just doesn't lend itself quite as nicely.
HI and thanks for the reply. Forgive me for asking, but what do you mean by fingerstyle?

I will take your advice and have him play both.
finger style is playing with your fingers rather than using a pick. Personally I would go with the wide neck just because it's more versatile since it's easier to switch between fingers and picks. The kids at the age when he's just starting to grow too, wider neck might be safer just in case he needs that extra finger room in a couple years. But yeah, have him play it first.