Hey whats up everyone. I would like to know how my progress is coming, like if I'm ahead or behind where I should be. I am taking lessons, and I practice no less than 5 hours per day for 5 days per week. I have been playing for 6 months exactly. I am able to do pinch harmonics, sweep cleanly at moderate speeds, I can play most songs after I read the tab (excluding the solos except for a few,) and I know how to construct chords, arpeggios, and scales and play them cleanly. The worst problem is that no matter how hard I try or how much time I spend on it, I can't tab out a song by ear. Anyways, thanks for the advice
Quote by BHC zoley
Everything I play comes out like a fart from God
Ya, that's pretty impressive. How do you find time to practice that much?
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
nah I'd rather someone tell me I suck and be honest about it than to tell me I'm great and be lying-you never make progress if you lie about it. My guitar teacher said I'm doing great, but I figured it was because he didn't want to lose business or was afraid I would take it as an insult.

Eh well I'm only in high school so I have a good bit of free time anyways, and when I don't I just make it, like stay up really late and sleep some in class. I dont do homework usually either, so that helps in a sad sort of way, probably shooting myself in the foot there. But I get home at 3:00, play as soon as I get there until dinner, taking 5 or so minute breaks every now and then when I get tired or the room gets hot (its so small and all my equipments in it, so it's a pretty good measurement of how much time has passed.) Take a good hour or so for dinner, then play till 9:30 or 10:00. If I don't have time, I make it by skipping something else I wanted to do or would do, like watching tv. Also I take my guitar and sometimes a small amp whenever I go on trips, just have to play without the amp in hotels and places like that, but thats pretty rare anyways
Quote by BHC zoley
Last edited by Michael_jones at Feb 8, 2007,
youre word for word where I am. Ive been playing since september, I play 3-4 hours a day, can do all the chord stuff youve told me about, yet I cant sweep.

However, I can tab a song by ear, so...=D

I'd say youre doing awesome!! not to be self-conceited hehe
You're seriously doing very well for the amount of time you've been playing, I'm not patronizing you
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Do YOU think you are good?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
dude its takes awhile to get a good enough ear to learn songs with out using a tab just by hearing the song, i have been playing for 2 years and i cant even come close to tabbing out songs by ear lol
I've only been playing 8 months or maybe abit more and I lack any technical speed but I am able to tab out some stuff by ear its not that difficult after noodling on the guitar after a bit.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Do YOU think you are good?

Honestly I don't know because I don't have anyone to compare myself to-everyone I ever play with either doesn't know what a pick is or are flyin up and down the fretboard and expecting me to keep up. Being from the south its mostly just acoustic players or acoustic-electric that are self-taught and really haven't taught themselves anything. Thanks to everyone who is being honest, good to see the time is paying off.
Quote by BHC zoley