Well Ive been trying figure out basic scales for a long time, but whenever I think I figure one out, I find (or at least I think I find) an error in the progression. And I'm not sure how these work.

KEEP IN MIND, I've done these all by sound and following along with SRV videos and stuff, so youll have to help me out here.

This is called a pentatonic scale, right?
e|-15-12------------------------------------------
b|---------15-12----------------------------------
g|-----------------14-12---------------------------
d|-------------------------14-12--------------------
a|----------------------------------14-12-10-----
E|-----------------------------------------------12--

This scale I learned from Texas Flood, not sure what it is...
e|-8-6-----------------------------------------------
b|------8-6----------------------------------------
g|-----------7-5-3-----------------------------------
d|-------------------5-3----------------------------
a|------------------------5-3-1-----------------------
E|--------------------------------3--------------------

I do not know if I have these right or not however, it would help greatly if I could just figure out this stuff. Please help me out! Thanks!
Quote by Brendan1993
what is the point of learning all those scales anyway????

by playing slowly but perfectly you can build the speed of perfect playing the more you play them, which greatly helps with skill
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
Quote by Brendan1993
what is the point of learning all those scales anyway????

You need to know scales. End of story.

speed picking drills, solo-writing in certain keys is made eaiser, etc
i saw a video lesson on the internet and it said you didn't need to but where do u get the scales from?
Quote by Brendan1993
i saw a video lesson on the internet and it said you didn't need to but where do u get the scales from?

You are retarded. Sorry, but you know nothing if your entire philosophy of music comes from some internet video that you can't even remember....
Quote by Brendan1993

did you even read my post?

I study songs and I try to follow the structure of their solos. For instance, Stevie Ray Vaughan and BB King, study them and their solos and you pretty much automatically learn the scales they play in.
Also yes your minor pentatonic scale is correct. Most people put the F (10th fret, A) on the 15th fret, E.
Quote by garden of grey
Also yes your minor pentatonic scale is correct. Most people put the F (10th fret, A) on the 15th fret, E.

Thanks! So thats a minor pentatonic...

What about the other one? Is that just a progressive scale?
i just learn the music i like and i have no teacher so i never new i had to learn this stuff
Lol, I do not have a teacher either. I respect your eagerness, but do not come in here and make stupid statements if you do not know for sure that they are true or at least have some backing.
Quote by Brendan1993
i just learn the music i like and i have no teacher so i never new i had to learn this stuff

ive never had a lesson
ive been playing 6 months
if you dont know scales of the songs, you arent learning the music
stick to these forums, theyll help you if youre serious
i never said i thought it was true and was not making a statement i was just asing y i had to learn scales and i just mentioned that video because IT disagrees with what your telling not me
Quote by Brendan1993
i never said i thought it was true and was not making a statement i was just asing y i had to learn scales and i just mentioned that video because IT disagrees with what your telling not me

any video that says scales are unimportant is unworthy of listening to. Thats ludicrous.
There are a few books out there on all the shapes of scales... and application.
Essentially though there are two scales you really need to know how to play.
Pentatonic (as Minor and Major are pretty relative in this scale...) and the Major Scale.
Learn all five or six shapes so that you can play the scale anywhere on the neck...
After you learn the major scale research modes and you will see that you can achieve any other traditional scale through the major scales different modes (like the Dorion, Lydian, Phrygian...)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
**** it just play youre guitar and enjoy it man...make up youre own shit..just figure how you like to play and learn how to make sounds you like..
scales are like basic patterns to know... just learn the major and minor pentonic. Once you got it down you can start moving out of the scales to make more interesting music, and from there build your skills and master the guitar.
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
The two scales you posted are E minor penataonic and G minor pentatonic respectively - although they could also fit plenty of others. It would depend on the chords they were played over.

And ignore the guy two posts above me, because you should be learning the intervals of scales and figuring out which notes to use, not relying on patterns. Many guitarists don't bother with this because they're lazy and they don't want to learn all the notes on the neck of the guitar.

(Cue six guys who can't spell "scale" telling me that Jimi Hendrix didn't know any music theory, and therefore I have somehow magically become a douchebag)
It's still helpful though.^

*edit*: I thought you said the two posts above me. My apologies.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
poor JDawg4098...

I can't believe nobody has posted this link.....

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!