Some friends and I want to start a new band and I play the bass. I need to buy some type of effect peddle that I can use for practice and gigs. I also need to start off with at least a combo that I can practice with and be heard. I don't even know where to start looking, to get the best for my money. Maybe even a smaller half stack would be better than a combo amp? I might be thinking about upgrading my bass as well, so is there any certain deals out there that have caught anyones eye that I haven't seen? Thanks guys.
Well, i'm of the strong opinion that if you're going to play music and you're serious about it you should get something that's going to last for a little while. More specifically at least a half-stack. Although there's gonna be alot of people that are going to tell you to go for the combo.

IMO, if this is some weekend garage band, get the combo. If you're serious about it, get a halfstack, you can get something off ebay for a reasonable price, and then you dont have to upgrade for a while, you can save up your money and maybe buy a new head later. Whereas with a combo if you want to go to the next step you have to replace what you have completely.

As for the bass and effects, thats at your discretion man. Unless your bass is completely unsatisfying i'd use the money to get an amp, and the pedals really depend on what you're looking at playing.
"Shut up and play your guitar" - Frank Zappa

I go to 11.

My Guitar Heros
1. Dave Mustaine
2. Marty Friedman
3. Dimebag
4. Chuck Schuldiner
5. Zakk Wylde
6. Tom Petty
7. Frank Zappa
8. Pete Townshend
9. Steve Vai
10. Nigel Tuffnel
Quote by elroachae
Well, i'm of the strong opinion that if you're going to play music and you're serious about it you should get something that's going to last for a little while. More specifically at least a half-stack. Although there's gonna be alot of people that are going to tell you to go for the combo.

IMO, if this is some weekend garage band, get the combo. If you're serious about it, get a halfstack, you can get something off ebay for a reasonable price, and then you dont have to upgrade for a while, you can save up your money and maybe buy a new head later. Whereas with a combo if you want to go to the next step you have to replace what you have completely.

As for the bass and effects, thats at your discretion man. Unless your bass is completely unsatisfying i'd use the money to get an amp, and the pedals really depend on what you're looking at playing.

Exactly. I bought a combo (Fender Bassman100) when I started, and it served me well for practicing w/ the bands and such, but anything larger than a large room was kind of a pain. I'm now looking into getting a half-stack.

If you're serious, and you know you're gonna be playing music for awhile, then I suggest getting the half-stack. Even if you're not in a great band right away, it's like if you take advanced courses in school: you get it done earlier, so you don't have to do it later.

Like elroachae said, the pedals and such depend on your playing style.