Poll: Burny vs. Edwards
Poll Options
View poll results: Burny vs. Edwards
Burny
12 33%
Edwards
24 67%
Voters: 36.
So, I'm wondering, because I'm trying to figure out what would be the wisest thing to trawl eBay for, which of these fine Gibson copy brands is the best? Burny (by Fernandes) or Edwards (by ESP)?

...and please- only vote if you have some kind of clue what you're talking about. Thanks.
Edwards and Burny are both great companies. I like Edwards better but if you can get your hands on a guitar by either company you won't be disappointed.

Older Tokai, Orville, and Greco are also pretty good.
I haven't played a recent-model Edwards but I have two almost-new Burny's and they're outstanding. I actually prefer the build-quality to the Gibson LP's I've owned and the stock pickups are very good too, and the Sustainer is a neat feature. Plus, they have models with the option of a Floyd if you're into that. I'd recommend a Burny without reservation. I haven't played an older Burny in years so I don't know how good they are but I've heard and read that they're excellent as well.

That said, Edwards have a great reputation too, and most of their recent models come with either Seymours or EMG's. I'd bet you'll be happy with either brand, from all the research I've done those two are the best of the Japanese LP copies.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
i personally dont like copies...
but i like Edwards.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thanks for the replies, peoples. Maybe I'll just flip a coin (or ipck up the best offer on eBay when I get searchin')

Quote by ECistheBest
i personally dont like copies...

Well, I don't have any brand loyalty when the brands don't have any customer loyalty. I've seen too many $3000 Gibsons with crazy flaws in the build and finish, and that' just not quite alright when you're shelling out big bucks for them. Their quality control is horribly inconsistent, and with Burny and Edwards you're pretty much getting a sure thing, and I know that both of these brands will outdo Gibsons on a regular basis. And for a fraction of the price. So that's why I'm looking into these two.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Thanks for the replies, peoples. Maybe I'll just flip a coin (or ipck up the best offer on eBay when I get searchin')

Well, I don't have any brand loyalty when the brands don't have any customer loyalty. I've seen too many $3000 Gibsons with crazy flaws in the build and finish, and that' just not quite alright when you're shelling out big bucks for them. Their quality control is horribly inconsistent, and with Burny and Edwards you're pretty much getting a sure thing, and I know that both of these brands will outdo Gibsons on a regular basis. And for a fraction of the price. So that's why I'm looking into these two.

You'll probably get flamed by the Gibby worshippers but I couldn't agree more.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Edwards, hands down. They're probaly the nicest LP copies you can buy out there for the price. You can also try Agile, but they're pretty sketchy to begin with, and you would probaly wish you had gotten the Edwards 2 weeks after buying the Agile.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by iplayguitar88
orville .

Orville? Aren't they the ones that have "Los Paul" on their headstocks? I never really considered getting one of them, because the ones that I've found on eBay so far have either been the wrong models or been really banged.

[edit] Just read up on it- no, they're not the Los Paul ones, sadly. I love that bastardisation... But hey, they're proper Gibsons, actually.[/edit]
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Feb 8, 2007,
Edwards. Hands down.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
edwards ftw.

edit: 1,000th post!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I like 'em new Edwards and old Burny-ies. The new Burny-ies are great too (the one I got to play anyways), but the older ones (the lawsuit period ones) have great "mojo", IMO. IRC, older Edwards had cheaper (ESP) pups and less quality. I don't remember which year they switched to having SDs stock.

Like you said, they're both pretty much "sure things" (my opinion anyways).

Older Burny > Newer Edwards > Newer Burny/Older Edwards.

Then again, I'd say I'm bias because I just got myself a new (old/mid 80's) Burny. Did I mention I already had a early 90's Burny?

If you're one of those people that only buy new guitars than I'd say go with the Edwards. If you're into collectibles, go get yourself a lawsuit Burny.
Quote by Joranges
I like 'em new Edwards and old Burny-ies. The new Burny-ies are great too (the one I got to play anyways), but the older ones (the lawsuit period ones) have great "mojo", IMO. IRC, older Edwards had cheaper (ESP) pups and less quality. I don't remember which year they switched to having SDs stock.

Like you said, they're both pretty much "sure things" (my opinion anyways).

Older Burny > Newer Edwards > Newer Burny/Older Edwards.

Then again, I'd say I'm bias because I just got myself a new (old/mid 80's) Burny. Did I mention I already had a early 90's Burny?

If you're one of those people that only buy new guitars than I'd say go with the Edwards. If you're into collectibles, go get yourself a lawsuit Burny.

Don't take offense at this but you have impeccable taste.
There's a Lawsuit Burny on eBay right now (split diamond (IE, not the "Z diamond") headstock inlay, bell truss rod cover and all), and damn, it's cheap-cheap. Now I'm just bummed out that this question was meant for a future purchase. Meaning, I don't have the money right now. But I want it!!

Here it is... $950USD (And it's a "Buy it now!" item) Dig it, love it. Buy it if you must, because I'm not gonna be able to go for it. And I'm now officially sad.