So I saw this Ibanez les paul from the early 70's in a shop and it was going for only $850 AUD!!!!

So i was wondering how the ibanez copies faired against the the real gibsons. I was told that this guitar was a steal for that price.

But yeh are they as good as the original gibsons?
Member of the Muse > any other band club
They sure did. They made a few models and then gibson sued them and they were discontinued.
I used to own a 70's-era Ibanez LP copy and it was excellent. Very similar to a Gibson although a fair amount lighter. It had Seymour Duncans in it when I got it so I can't speak to the quality of the Ibanez pickups, but the build-quality was very good.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Pretty good... I played one at a pawn shop once.. and although it was kinda old and not well maintained... it was still better than most gibby's I've ever played
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Yeh im going to check it out tomorow. So its much beter quality then a epiphone?
one thing you should be aware of is that its chambered so you wont get that real les paul sound

oh and I've seen ones go for 650 -700 so you could get better
Quote by Spaz10
So I saw this Ibanez les paul from the early 70's in a shop and it was going for only $850 AUD!!!!

So i was wondering how the ibanez copies faired against the the real gibsons. I was told that this guitar was a steal for that price.

But yeh are they as good as the original gibsons?

What store has it and ill tell you.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Dale_kerigan
one thing you should be aware of is that its chambered so you wont get that real les paul sound

oh and I've seen ones go for 650 -700 so you could get better

The one I had wasn't chambered and it sounded pretty much exactly like my Gibson.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by sheumack111
What store has it and ill tell you.....

Its at the repair shop in brisbane but they also sell second hand guitars and make custom ones. They did powderfingers guitars and also done some repair work on one of wolfmothers sgs so they are pretty trust worthy.

Btw this one is chambered. In what way will it effect the sound?
Gilbert bought one to play in a Jimmy Hendrix tribute CD.
There's a video of him playing the Ibanez LP on YouTube. Search it.

Also, if Gilbert himself plays one, I think you can't go wrong with it =)

But hey, it's a guitar! Play it and see if it fits your taste =)
I've heard nothing but good things about them. Check it out and if you like it, buy it
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
This just supports my theory that Ibanez lacks the creativity to creat their own guitars...

I mean yeah, they only made the RG after all...

Keep in mind, a good share of Ibanez lawsuit LP copies had bolt-on necks, that might matter to you. But yeah, play it first. If it was poorly maintained, it might sound like something that sounds bad.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
If Gibson sued them, that means they were competition. So yeah, that's a hefty fine deal.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
A guitarist I used to jam with had one. His had a Bartollini in the bridge, and that guitar sounded amazing! It was a tough guitar also. Not sure about the price, but then again I do not know what the currency exchange would be. If you can afford it, and want a great conversation piece as well as a fine guitar, I would say go for it.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Thanks a lot guys. Im going to check it out today. I like the look and if it sounds anything like i hope it does im goin to buy it in a second. It also has the original pickups in there. If they are a bit to old should i replace them? If so with what pickup? Im into rock/punk/alternative/a little metal.