soo ive been thinkin about getting a washburn x50 pro

i like everything about it but my amp is a line 6 spider, and the guitar has the EMG 81/85 setup

how would these sound compared to if i used duncans or dimarzios or any other good passive pups?

Ive searched, and the signal seems to be mixed. Some say the EMGs would sound horrible, some say they just woldnt reach their potential, and some say its just fine.

whats the deal here??

thanks!

Btw i plan to get a better amp as soon as i can afford one.
      better than a Spider? 1. what kinda of music do you play? and 2. it all depends on question 1.
      wow im pretty much in the same boat as you Sidoody , i think you could find some decent sound clips , i'll go look on youtube .
      The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
      B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
      Yamaha EG303
      Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
      Quote by sniper_wolf90
      better than a Spider? 1. what kinda of music do you play? and 2. it all depends on question 1.

1. well i play most types
      - im in an alt band
      -i play alot of metal and shred too
      -classic rock

i want a really thick powerful tone that can pull off smooth leads and heavy rhythm.

and ya ofcourse the next amp will be better than a spider haha
      the spiders not too bad though...its just not a tube soo im worried about the eMGs
          Dude, I'm in EXACTLY the same position as you, except! I don't have enough money to buy a new guitar or EMG's =[
          Get a new amp first. Also, I wouldn't recommend EMGs for anything other than metal. I know lots of people will try to tell you they work for all styles, but most of those people play metal. Excluding of course EMG singles, which are quite good. I would suggest that after you get a new amp, look into a guitar with some good passives on it. The first choice that pops into my head right now is a Schecter C1 Classic.
          Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
          PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
          H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
          Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
          Quote by Friedmaniac
          Get a new amp first. Also, I wouldn't recommend EMGs for anything other than metal. I know lots of people will try to tell you they work for all styles, but most of those people play metal. Excluding of course EMG singles, which are quite good. I would suggest that after you get a new amp, look into a guitar with some good passives on it. The first choice that pops into my head right now is a Schecter C1 Classic.

I'll support this suggestion. Except maybe the Schecter. I've never played a Schecter before.
          But yeah, I wouldn't recommend EMG's for your style of music, especially classic rock. Some metalhead told me that his Zakk Wylde set of EMGs did The Eagles easily. Yeah, right.
          Better off going passive, once you get new pickups.

But on the Spider stuff, they're actually not bad for bedroom practice amps. It just that once you reach higher levels of wattage and such with them...it's like...Why? There are better amps for the price.
          I have a spider 2 30 watt and i love it, sure ill replace it someday...maybe but it suits my needs for now...i love to put it on insane and put the chorus flange all the way up it makes it sound so cool.
          ^+1 with cas...that feels so wrong.

It won't sound good at all. All it will sound like is "thug thug thugh @#()$*@)#($*#@". Also, the passives may be a bit different, it goes more like this-- " Thoosh thoosh thoosh @#$)@#*$)(#*@$#@).

. Not trying to be a jerk, but you're not going to hear much of a differene with EMG's and passive pick ups on a line 6 amp (Not a major one that is).

Also, what's up with people saying EMG's won't meet their full potential? Sounds like it's dragon ball z all over again. But usually, what most people mean by that is. Get a tube amp.
          Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
          -2-channel Titan
          -Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
          -Fulltone OCD
          -RMC Picture Wah
          -T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
          -Larrivee D-03R
          well the thing is i dont mind if it doesnt do classic rock tooo well cuz im really looking for a heavier more driven tone

im not asking for a $9239482094 tone, i just want to know if there is something about SS amps that make EMGs sound not so good...and specifically EMGs

Please dont just say "any guitar on yr amp will suck", it just doesnt help

and about getting a new amp first - i really need a new guitar now because my spider is good enough for gigs ( i have done many), but my epi sg special isnt. I have been borrowing friends guitars and i really need to get a better one for myself.

thanks.
              Quote by sidoody
              - im in an alt band
              -classic rock

i want a really thick powerful tone that can pull off smooth leads and heavy rhythm.

the spiders not too bad though...its just not a tube soo im worried about the eMGs

new amp/ not that guitar.

for classic rock (i have a spider) a spider isnt the thing. emg's arent either. although since you play shred and metal. you could. you gotta make a choice on what to play.

on the amp, your prolly going to need a tube amp either way.
              Quote by Arlabester
              new amp/ not that guitar.

for classic rock (i have a spider) a spider isnt the thing. emg's arent either. although since you play shred and metal. you could. you gotta make a choice on what to play.

on the amp, your prolly going to need a tube amp either way.

i just said i didnt care if it gave me a good classic rock tone...
                  EMGs are high gain pickups, and high gain on a Line 6 Spider sounds like ass already. You'll get loads of feedback and a beyond the gates of hell bad sound. My cousin plays through a Spider II 30 watt and a Schecter C-1 Classic with EMG 81/85. It sounds like utter ass, just SO bad. Ass for classic rock, that EMG combo is meant for HEAVY music. It will once again, IMO, sound like ass.
                  Quote by hightension01
                  its called

hypocrasy
                  Quote by sidoody
                  well the thing is i dont mind if it doesnt do classic rock tooo well cuz im really looking for a heavier more driven tone

im not asking for a $9239482094 tone, i just want to know if there is something about SS amps that make EMGs sound not so good...and specifically EMGs

and about getting a new amp first - i really need a new guitar now because my spider is good enough for gigs ( i have done many), but my epi sg special isnt. I have been borrowing friends guitars and i really need to get a better one for myself.

thanks.

any guitar on yr amp will suck. Actually, I don't think so. I like the Spiders, though I'd rather have say a Marshall.
                  Bands to see before I die:
                  Iron Maiden
                  Foo Fighters
                  Megadeth
                  Reel Big Fish
                  Rush
                  Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
                  Epi LP Standard
                  Washburn Strat
                  Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
                  Ibanez RG3570Z
                  Digitech Whammy
                  Quote by sidoody
                  i just said i didnt care if it gave me a good classic rock tone...

oh lol.

but seriously, it could sound like crap. it all depends on what your doing. too much gain on any SS will drive it to crap.
                  well ive used an epiphone ace frehly les paul and a gibson studio through this line 6 for gigs and it has been just fine (it was on the green metal setting, but i did some tweaking)

I realize the disortion on this amp isnt THE BEST but its okay for what im doing,

i just want to know how it would sound compared to passives
                      Quote by sidoody
                      well ive used an epiphone ace frehly les paul and a gibson studio through this line 6 for gigs and it has been just fine (it was on the green metal setting, but i did some tweaking)

I realize the disortion on this amp isnt THE BEST but its okay for what im doing,

i just want to know how it would sound compared to passives

very muddy, and to be honost, pretty awful. thats just my 2 cents.
                      Quote by Cied Shredder
                      EMGs are high gain pickups, and high gain on a Line 6 Spider sounds like ass already. You'll get loads of feedback and a beyond the gates of hell bad sound. My cousin plays through a Spider II 30 watt and a Schecter C-1 Classic with EMG 81/85. It sounds like utter ass, just SO bad. Ass for classic rock, that EMG combo is meant for HEAVY music. It will once again, IMO, sound like ass.

Like Cied stated, the EMGs are high gain pickups. They will distort the analog/digital converter at the input of the Spider and cause digital distortion, which will in turn cause the generally horrible sounds that everyone is describing. With that amp (and any digital amp or effects unit for that matter) you need to avoid high gain pickups for this reason.
                      Quote by sidoody
                      - im in an alt band
                      -classic rock

Sorry, but your amp sucks. Get a new one. You people all come here asking the same questions, and you always don't want the answer. Your amp SUCKS. I don't understand how people like you, who can't even play in time with another guitarist (your live videos) and want to run EMG's thru a Spider line 6 amp, get the chance to be on stage.

Why don't you go to a store and try out some stuff instead of asking strangers? I'm sorry to be rude, but these threads are all so stupid. Everyone wants EMGs for the wrong kind of music, but they use crap amplifiers so the pickups won't change shit. Go out and try some stuff. And pick up a metronome.
                      Last edited by The way to hate at Feb 10, 2007,
                      Quote by Arlabester
                      very muddy, and to be honost, pretty awful. thats just my 2 cents.

+1. I can't stand my cube's distortion at times, it's just waaaay too muddy.

-2-channel Titan
                      -Fulltone OCD
                      -RMC Picture Wah
                      -Larrivee D-03R
                      The amp I reccomend is [LEARN TO PLAY MORE BEFORE YOU UPGRADE SO MUCH. YOUR TONE MEANS DICK IF YOU CANT ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE FIRST PLACE] and the pickups and guitar I reccomend that you get are [STICK WITH WHAT YOU HAVE NOW AND LEARN WHAT YOU'RE DOING.]

Hope that helps =]
                      My Band

Equipment:
                      ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
                      Mesa Boogie MK III
                      Marshall 1960B cab
                      How much do you have?

If you're willing to sell your Spider for a new amp, you could get enough money for a good tube amp. However, if you want to get a new guitar, don't let anyone stop you!

To be honest, I would get the Washburn X50PRO than the Ibanez SZ320. Just get the Seymour Duncan-equipped Washburn; you don't have to get the EMG version!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-X50PRO-Quilted-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=515402
                      Quote by The way to hate
                      Sorry, but your amp sucks. Get a new one. You people all come here asking the same questions, and you always don't want the answer. Your amp SUCKS. I don't understand how people like you, who can't even play in time with another guitarist (your live videos) and want to run EMG's thru a Spider line 6 amp, get the chance to be on stage.

Why don't you go to a store and try out some stuff instead of asking strangers? I'm sorry to be rude, but these threads are all so stupid. Everyone wants EMGs for the wrong kind of music, but they use crap amplifiers so the pickups won't change shit. Go out and try some stuff. And pick up a metronome.

relax
                          ^I don't blame him. I see people trying to purchase some real nice guitars....for a real not so good amp.

Just go to a store one day and check em' out. You can always purchase your pick ups to get ready to buy another amp so they will compliment each other (which I am doing).

-2-channel Titan
                          -Fulltone OCD
                          -RMC Picture Wah
                          -Larrivee D-03R
                          Quote by The Casualty
                          Peavy Valveking.

will there be a huge difference between the line 6 spider and this??

Its not so expensive i can probably get my hands on one
                              Quote by sidoody
                              will there be a huge difference between the line 6 spider and this??

Its not so expensive i can probably get my hands on one

hell yeah.

its all tube. better than a PoS solid state.