Right to start off, I have a squier strat and a dsl 401/mg15cdr. I use both.

I want more of a thicker/distorted sound. The mg gets quite good good gain, but I want more.

I have a few choices:

-Get new pickups in the strat (humbuckers)

-Distortion pedal

-New guitar

Which of these would you say is the best option?

I spose I could toddle off down to the guitar shop and ask the bloke in there. But my guess is he'll just try and squeeze money out of me.

Any ideas would be appreciated, idealy from someone with a similar setup.

Thanks
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
id say get a pedal. i think that would make more of an effect on your amp then new pickups or a new guitar, but im no expert
new amp new amp new amp new amp new amp

I know thats not one of ure choices but a pedal would only layer distortion over an already crap tone, whilst buying a new guitar wont make a massive amount of difference to your tone either if your amplifier is of low quality. I suggest you start saving...
Quote by Atreideslegend

I know thats not one of ure choices but a pedal would only layer distortion over an already crap tone, whilst buying a new guitar wont make a massive amount of difference to your tone either if your amplifier is of low quality. I suggest you start saving...

like he said.. MG's tone is reli bad.. the gain might be good but the tone is shit (hancing y u can't get the sound you want) i'd say save up get a new amp.. then think about getting a new guitar
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
OD for your DSL. Ditch the MG.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
The dsl is a nice amp. I'd say you get a new guitar but that's because i think effects really aren't need when you have a good all tube/valve amp.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by Atreideslegend

his tone isnt crap, and yeah, trivium use DSL's with pedals and they have a good thick distortion tone.
Quote by anithero
his tone isnt crap, and yeah, trivium use DSL's with pedals and they have a good thick distortion tone.

oops.. didn't see the DSL there.. i thort he only had the MG
Quote by musical donkey
Yes I have a dsl dont seem to get much distortion out of it. I'll look into a few pedals.

How exactly does it work?

Put the amp on clean and then use the pedal for overdrive and the footswitch pedal for od2?

Im a noob, yes!
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
Yes I have a dsl dont seem to get much distortion out of it. I'll look into a few pedals.

How exactly does it work?

Put the amp on clean and then use the pedal for overdrive and the footswitch pedal for od2?

Im a noob, yes!

well that or u can put ur amp on distortion n ur pedal on distortion to get more distortion.. alot of the big death metal bands do that to get enough gain for it... no way u can get that much gain out of a amp by it's self
Quote by musical donkey
^^

hmm...
I think you need to get to od2 then layer your OD over it but not much that
you get feedback all over the place...

or just buy a new guitar.... because it's a single coil (I'm assuming)
and they are not good at those thick/distorted...
Quote by Archeo
^^

hmm...
I think you need to get to od2 then layer your OD over it but not much that
you get feedback all over the place...

or just buy a new guitar.... because it's a single coil (I'm assuming)
and they are not good at those thick/distorted...

lol.. like my amp.. i like to have the distortion cranked when i'm playing metal.. gotta kinda turn my volume off everytime i stop playing... sure i can half my gain n get the same sound not as muddy n get no feed back but whats the fun in that?? lol.. plus feed back is good when u need it
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by guitarist_with_
IMO this is a no-brainer. Please get a new guitar. The DSL has very good distortion.

I like the feel of the guitar, will putting in new pickups not solve that?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

Quote by Chex
I like the feel of the guitar, will putting in new pickups not solve that?

depends on the body and all in ur guitar aswell.. everything about ur guitar contribute to ur tone u get from it
Quote by musical donkey
I reckon about 70% of tone is affected by the amp and pedals. So I'd say if you want really heavy distortion use an Overdrive pedal such as a Tube Screamer on your OD channel on the DSL. You can change out pickups later. Humbuckers in general will give you the ability for a heavier tone but you can still get pretty heavy with the right single coils.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Yeah....... or for an even more MUSCULAR tone... try an OD anda Graphic EQ.... BOOM !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Yeah....... or for an even more MUSCULAR tone... try an OD anda Graphic EQ.... BOOM !!

^+1

Think TS9 or TS-808 or a OD made by maxon. If you have the money a keele (Spelling?) modded pedal. That will push your tubes into some serious thick distorted tones.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Ok so many different opinions. Guess I'm gonna have to pop down to the store.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby