I'm finding it really hard to bend up around the middle of the neck, around frets 5-10, and do a nice vibrato. My technique for the bend is pretty textbook, but the vibrato is just shit, almost non-existent. I've resorted to bending down on the G-string, which works great and owns ANY up-bend vibrato I've ever done, but obviously this is not possible on the e and b strings. My regular vibratos are almost always "downwards", so bending down enables me to use my regular vibrato technique.

One hypothesis I have for being able to up-bend and vibrato well from the 11th fret onwards is that I can anchor my thumb on the neck. Also, it seems to me that further you go up the neck, the less the string has to bend as far to bend the whole step. This means that on the lower frets your wrist is more cocked than on the higher frets for a whole step bend, making it harder to do a vibrato.

Does anyone have any tips for up-bending and vibrato on lower frets??
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
The same question ahs been asked like 10 times in this week.
Search !
Looking for a new sig!
vibrato is actually one of the very hardest techniques to master on the guitar so dont worry if it takes u awhile to get the hang of it, basically just practice it slowly and steadily, making sure u were in control of the pitcdh at all times, also remember good vibrato is usually (but not always) in time, so use a metronome or drum track.
Quote by samerika
The same question ahs been asked like 10 times in this week.
Search !

Yes. Yes it has.

To be fair though, I think mine's a fair bit more in-depth. And I don't think anybody's given a good answer to the questions yet.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor