Does anyone know any good software for making electronica and such ? I have been using Fruity Loops and it is quite fun to use, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything else decent ?
There is poetry in despair.
Youre on UG and your asking us for Electronica? Thats as absurd as asking Pamela Anderson about Pokemon
Quote by RHCP94
Green Day should be so proud that there band is better than a bunch of 16 year olds.................medals anyone?

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Gotta love ticked off metal heads.

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
I guess Virtual DJ
Quote by RHCP94
Green Day should be so proud that there band is better than a bunch of 16 year olds.................medals anyone?

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
I use Audacity, it's free and you can get plug ins and stuff for it.
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Oh like audacity theres also Gold Wave which is 10 times better.
Quote by RHCP94

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
Cubase SX3.

There's nothing better than that. Its the best sequencing and editing software out there. The amount of stuff it can do with MIDI is absolutely amazing and no other software comes close.

Patch Cubase with Reason (run reason channels through cubase) and u've got urself a digital audio workstation of the future!! No other workstation would be able to beat it!

Although to be able to make at least 50% use of those softwares u need to be a soundengineering geek! Its not easy to learn how those softwares work and behave, u need to learn loads of stuff bout how all the vst instruments work and how the digital effects work. Not really the simplest stuff to get ur head around!
fruity loops comes nowhere close to cubase. Fruity loops, virtual dj and all are just amature softwares to play around with. They are not very powerful and cant do much.
Cubase is the software all the top producers use. Its better than protools. Pro tools is only good for recording and editing. When it comes to MIDI, cubase owns!!
You gets many plugins for cubase with the software in the box, you dont need to buy any more unless u're wandering into some really advanced music production.
Quote by jammer-91
Youre on UG and your asking us for Electronica? Thats as absurd as asking Pamela Anderson about Pokemon

Well, when I use this site I take it as read that, although it is a guitar based website, that not all the users are narrow minded chumps who are only interested in one dimension of music.

Thanks for all the replies people, sounds like Cubase might be a little hard for me to get my head around though...
If you want something easy, go for Reason by Propellerheads.
Reason is extremely easy to use and is way more powerful than fruity loops or any other sequencing software. You can download a demo version of reason from its website, propellerheads.se
The demo doesnt have a lot to offer, but u can still get an idea of how the software works. Its really simple and there's a lot you can do with it.
still not easy to get around the cubase manual if u are a music production noob. Those manuals are usually aimed at soundengineers who atleast have a bit of a clue bout all the technical stuff.
Cubase is pretty straight forward to use too. U just need to add tracks one on top of another, use the VST instruments to make ur own tracks, use the MIDI functions to play around with the MIDI tracks you create using the VST instruments.

Out of all the music production softwares, Reason is the most straight forward. Its just stack one sequencer or effects unit above another and get rocking! Add a loop player, then add a synthesizer, then add some effects/dynamics to it like delay, reverb, flanger, chorus, phaser, compressor. Finally mix the track using the 16-track mixer on top. Cool thing bout Reason is when you press the "tab" key, it shows you the back of all the units/instruments and u can rewire them as you like, although thats something a noob cant do!

Just play around with it, read manuals and forums and stuff and u'll learn how the stuff works.
i agree with cubase...garage band if you have a mac and fruity loops, maybe you should get a moog too
In/Rainbows
Quote by af_the_fragile
You gets many plugins for cubase with the software in the box, you dont need to buy any more unless u're wandering into some really advanced music production.

and cubase is about a $1000 and you need a really good computer to run with it. Use Fruity loops. That's probably the best your gonna get if you want something cheap.
you cant say anything till you've tried Reason. Its cheap and wayyyyyy better than fruity loops...! Damn, Michael Jackson's producers used to play around with reason for weeks to come up with cool tracks for his album!
Quote by af_the_fragile
you cant say anything till you've tried Reason. Its cheap and wayyyyyy better than fruity loops...! Damn, Michael Jackson's producers used to play around with reason for weeks to come up with cool tracks for his album!

because we all want to sound like micheal jackson
Quote by jammer-91

Yes, lets all be narrow minded people who only like guitar!
Quote by divid3d
i'd say logic if you have a mac.

+1

Logic is great.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Its only media publicity and an amature notion that Logic is amazing. Macs and logic have very little respect in the music production industry. Macs are only used cause pro-tools is designed for macs and works best on macs. You'll hardly hear about an album from a famous artist that has been prduced using Logic Pro. I'm a sound engineer here, so u dont need to argue with me, i know my stuff well enuf!!!
What publicity?
I am just going on my own experience, I couldn't stand Cubase or FruityLoops and have not used anything else as of yet.
Logic was seemless and easy to use for me.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by af_the_fragile
Its only media publicity and an amature notion that Logic is amazing. Macs and logic have very little respect in the music production industry. Macs are only used cause pro-tools is designed for macs and works best on macs. You'll hardly hear about an album from a famous artist that has been prduced using Logic Pro. I'm a sound engineer here, so u dont need to argue with me, i know my stuff well enuf!!!

Yeah, I use it for my Music Tech lessons

It's great
i've never seen publicity for it. only apple publicity i ever see is "lolol PCs suck" or "buy an ipod!". i'm just going by what i've seen producers say.

You'll hardly hear about an album from a famous artist that has been prduced using Logic Pro.

most albums i hear from 'famous artists' are complete crap so i really couldn't care what software they use.

but seriously meh we're just giving the kid some options. when he tries them he will find out what he likes and what's best for him.
from daylight...
...into darkness
I stand by Audacity, it's freeware after all, and reeaaallly simple, but you can still get hundreds of effects from plug-ins so...go figure I guess
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Sonar>Cubase Fruity loops is extremely powerfullif you have the right plugins, especially the new FL7. You could also try Ableton Live. And in terms of free stuff Reaper>Audacity. I have both FL Studio and Reason and i honestly prefer FL because it has VSTi support and Reason doesnt.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Wow, thanks for all the responses, better than I expected to get ... Sounds like Reason might be the way to go for me,seeing as I am pretty n00bish...

I will be studying Music Tech next year for my degree so at the moment I am just experimenting. I'll download the demo of Reason and see how it goes.