Page 1 of 3
Ok dokey dudes and dudettes. My big question is why are there not more blues bands around these days achieving success ?

Back in the 70's there were lots, and since then it seems to have just gone stale, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Surely this should be the best age or blues? We've had the influences of Clapton, SRV, BB King, Beck, everyone.

I know its not really a question that can be answered without going into talking about the business of producing music, but surely some people are trying to break new ground in blues and are getting contracts off big companies?

Im in a blues band, Im 17. The other guitarists are 62, and 60. The bassist is 39, the drummer is 32, and the singer is 50. All my mates take the mick because my band is old (our average age is 43, and if it wasn't for me being at least 15 years younger than anyone else, itwould be a lot higher!) but i don't care because i want blues to be big again, and these are the only guys who seem to care

Has everyone else given up on making blues? Are there any young bands that will be playing at any of the blues festivals in England this year? If you are, get in contact and we'll set about making an impact.

Btw, i asked lots of questions here, its a bit random, feel free to answer any or all of them
There are a lot of questions there.

Firstly, music is dominated by the music industry, which will sell whatever music is popular to large audiences. Blues is not popular, which is why there aren't blues bands on MTV etc. Simple.

The fact of the matter is that blues was black pop music 50+ years ago. Black culture has progressed a long way since then, and if it wasn't for the efforts of a few white guys in the Delta, and some exploitative record labels in the 40's, most people would probably have never heard of the blues.

To say that people have 'given up' on the blues isn't true. Loads of labels are putting out great blues records all the time, particularly in the UK.

I can't understand why people want blues to 'be big again' or whatever. Why? So everyone else can come along and take it for all its worth? It just makes no sense to me.

Also, old white guys killed the blues. Fact.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
i want blues to be big again because there are lots of hard working bands living on nothing and deserve recognition for what they do. i want blues to be big so that people can grow up knowing the meaning of lyrics. i want the blues to be big again so that it can be spread to a wider audience and so that we can make good, well produced music for talented people something that can be listened to without your mates thinking your an idiot for not listening to eminem.

i just like blues, and want more people to hear it so that they can get the chance too. if u say i like the blues now, then people get images of it (not images but u get me) n they think your odd.

i dunno, i guess it'd just be nice to say to someone my own age, stevie ray vaughn is awesome eh? and have them know who im talking about. it'd be nice to know that people my age were learning to play instrument and sing and be in a band than knowing that half of your mates are trying to steal a car and deal drugs because thats 'what gangsters do'
Quote by CobenBlack
i want blues to be big again because there are lots of hard working bands living on nothing and deserve recognition for what they do. i want blues to be big so that people can grow up knowing the meaning of lyrics. i want the blues to be big again so that it can be spread to a wider audience and so that we can make good, well produced music for talented people something that can be listened to without your mates thinking your an idiot for not listening to eminem.

i just like blues, and want more people to hear it so that they can get the chance too. if u say i like the blues now, then people get images of it (not images but u get me) n they think your odd.

i dunno, i guess it'd just be nice to say to someone my own age, stevie ray vaughn is awesome eh? and have them know who im talking about. it'd be nice to know that people my age were learning to play instrument and sing and be in a band than knowing that half of your mates are trying to steal a car and deal drugs because thats 'what gangsters do'

A lot of the blues musicians I know dont want recognition or the fame as they believe it is against what the blues is all about.
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Quote by CobenBlack

Nice speech, but it doesn't add up.

A minute ago you said there were no new blues bands, and suddenly there's hundreds of hard-up bands? Hmm. Also, there are struggling bands in every genre, and I'd rather hear one awesome hardcore punk band over 3 blues bands churning out the same old Albert King licks.

People make out like blues is this bastion of soul, heartfelt lyrics and musicianship, when really, a lot of blues lyrics are fairly samey and restricted. You can find great lyrics and soul in all kinds of music, not just blues. Trying to force people to listen to a certain kind of music because they only listen to mainstream music doesn't make sense. In addition to that, most blues players were criminals, or drug addicts or alcoholics at some point, and real authentic blues probably doesn't promote a healthy lifestyle I agree that music can be beneficial to people, but so can other things.

I love blues music, but there comes a point where you have to be realistic.

Okay, firstly....

Blues had it's early moments of large-scale fame and fell out. There was a minor revival in the 80's and that's it.
Let's face it, Blues is old and has been done, regardless of how fresh it feels to us young'uns.

This is why it's not popular at the moment. Granted, it influenced popular music throughout the decades a huge amount, but there's a reason pure blues is no longer in style, and that's because it's been done.

Secondly, Blues is currently incredibly stagnant. No-one playing right now wants to play anything unique, new or fresh. That's why all these bands of "hard working old bluesmen" are not getting anywhere, it's the same stuff we've heard before but in a boring middle-class white package.
This is also why all the young rockin' electric blues players who want to be SRV are getting no attention either. It's been done and they arn't bringing anything new to the table, prefering instead to shamelessly imitate their idols.

This isn't to say that there arn't Blues artists out there who arn't doing anything unique today. But you'll find that any of them that are unique ARE managing to make a decent living off of it, just because they don't achieve mainstream fame doesn't mean their not succesful. Look at Eric Gales, Derek Trucks, John Mayer(mainstream exception), Scott Mckeon etc. Some purists might argue that they're not "real blues" but their NEW and that's why they're doing well.

Thirdly, the concept of the soul and genuine heartful emotion in Blues does not appeal to the mainstream because...
-Youth think it's old music
-It has a firmly established older generation who would fight tooth and nail against an industrialization of the blues.
-It's been done. There's already a huge amount of fantastic Blues music floating about.

Frankly, I think the Blues is in an absolutely great place right now. Those who are truly trying to further the music achieve success whilst the greats of the past are always acknowledged and respected. The community is accessable enough for anyone to get into it. But it's still underground enough that there's no extortion of the genre.

I also think that Blues going mainstream would be one of the worst things that could happen to it. Remember mainstream is all about profit, which is in total contradiction to the spirit of Blues and as such true Blues would be ruined.

Call me a purist, call me selfish, but I love my Blues and I want the freedom to experience it the way I want and not have that experience defined by some corporation or large-scale community.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

Edit: And you don't need to worry about never meeting other blues fans your age. The community is large enough that you'll be able to find a bunch of them once you gain more freedom. So it's not like you're going to be isolated for the rest of your life.
Last edited by Falcatarius at Feb 8, 2007,
Quote by Encore_God

Also, old white guys killed the blues. Fact.

hey, young white guys too.

But I think it's partly because of such things as; over- and under- exposure; a lack of new, marketable faces; that the older faces just can't get themselves out there as much - and they're considered old, and already have their own fanbases; and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

But generally, it's my belief that blues, right now, is not dying or dead, but is currently dormant, and eventually, enough people'll have enough interest that it'll pop up again. Hey, weren't the White Stripes called a blues band? Aren't the Black Keys called the same?

As for why Blues lost popularity, well, I personally blame oversaturation of the live market (for which I blame SRV) whereby every blues band, every blues jam, became a chance for young players with strats, twin reverbs, and cowboy hats to get up and play their fanciest riffs, instead of being about the blues.
As for why Blues lost popularity, well, I personally blame oversaturation of the live market (for which I blame SRV) whereby every blues band, every blues jam, became a chance for young players with strats, twin reverbs, and cowboy hats to get up and play their fanciest riffs, instead of being about the blues.

I completely agree. I would never go so far as to say SRV killed the Blues but goddamit there are just WAY too many clones noodling about ever since he died. Again it comes back to originality, for all their talents they bring nothing new to the table and that's why so many of them go completely unnoticed despite whatever skill they have with a guitar.

Now don't get me wrong. SRV is one of my favourite artists of all time and I love him to bits, hell I even own and play his signature strat. But a while ago i made the conscious decision to stay away from learning his songs or playing his licks a lot and it's served me well and made me a much more unique player in comparison to any other Blues guitarist I've jammed with.

I've always wondered why it's SRV that garners so much attention with the youth though. I can see that everything about him seems to constitute a rock idol...
-huge talent
-incredibly passionate
-overcame obstacles
-died young in tragic accident
-flashy

But for some reason it's him above all other guitar players that I see the most clones of. (outside of the metal/shred genre) Perhaps it's because his style is so distinctive i just notice it more?

Cheers
-Falcatarius

Edit: The clone comment wasn't meant to flame metalheads. But because of it's huge popularity with guitarists there will obviously be more idol-clones too.
Last edited by Falcatarius at Feb 8, 2007,
Blues takes a lot of hard work and practice while 3 chord pop gets you a million dollars easy.
i'm glad blues is underground, and hope it stays that way. because i don't want dumb rich white kids thinking blues is cool, and having horrible music videos and bluesman doing car commercials. besides, they will never throw blues in the mainstream anyway, even if there is a sudden emergence in popularity, because Mtv will only allow good looking preps wearing expensive clothes that are sold in the malls in all of their videos. and no offense, but, why would you want blues to become popular.... so you can waste 100 dollars at a concert when you can't even see anyway, when you could go to a bar for a lot cheaper and see real musicicians playing real music
While it may be old and stagnant, I never tire of hearing Robert Johnson, Son House, Muddy Waters or Elmore James. For me, their music is music. Who cares that there aren't many "new" blues bands. And no matter how many times I listen to Muddy or Robert or John Lee Hooker, there is always something I hear differently, that makes me pick up my guitar.
Quote by Mav-16
i'm glad blues is underground, and hope it stays that way. because i don't want dumb rich white kids thinking blues is cool, and having horrible music videos and bluesman doing car commercials. besides, they will never throw blues in the mainstream anyway, even if there is a sudden emergence in popularity, because Mtv will only allow good looking preps wearing expensive clothes that are sold in the malls in all of their videos. and no offense, but, why would you want blues to become popular.... so you can waste 100 dollars at a concert when you can't even see anyway, when you could go to a bar for a lot cheaper and see real musicicians playing real music

i'd love to see buddy guy in a car with some hot girls, it would be hilarious

but, yes, i agree,

blues has never been comercial music, at the beggining it was music made by slaves, just to bring some happines in their lifes
Surely if they went mainstream and got all the money they would be frauds to sing the blues coz they would have nuthin wrong to sing about. sort of like if Oasis started singing about being hard up in manchester, theyd be frauds. I know this coz one of them lives in dunmow in an extremely expensive house.
Well thats my argument atleast.
The blues is getting less and less recognition because it is getting less and less exposure. When was the last time you heard John Lee Hooker on T.V? When was the last time you opened the newspaper and saw Rufus Thomas? This is where young people today get their information, the media. Thats where the problem is there. Sure, old black people like the blues, but they go down and work at the post office or retire instead of going to the blues night club to support it. Thats another problem. There's a lack of support from the older generation to the blues today. I play at a night club on Friday's and Saturday's, who's there? Middle to upper-class white people, thats who. They don't understand the blues. They go for the food and the "experience". Through the years these are the people that say "Hey, if he can play the blues why can't I?". They then go practice for a while, bum a few SRV licks and record some tunes. This is not a good thing.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
I think that the reason you don't see a lot of blues coverage is because there aren't a lot of new blues players around - so it's a vicious cycle.

The reason John Lee Hooker isn't on TV or in magazines often is because, well, he's been on TV and in magazines a lot before.
Quote by StaggHound

The reason John Lee Hooker isn't on TV or in magazines often is because, well, he's been on TV and in magazines a lot before.

And has the notable handicap of being dead.

Quote by Encore_God

HAHAAHAH exactly!

not laughing that hes dead, funny comment
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
Quote by Encore_God

Naturally, that might not help matters, but on the other hand, Johnny Cash has gotten a lot of publicity since his death.

It's a lot easier to cover someone's life and work when they aren't making any more of it.
Quote by StaggHound
Naturally, that might not help matters, but on the other hand, Johnny Cash has gotten a lot of publicity since his death.

It's a lot easier to cover someone's life and work when they aren't making any more of it.

yeah Johnny Cash, they made a movie, he had videos on mtv.... etc.
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
I think there are more SRV clones because he played the fastest, flashier blues and alot of kids want to follow in his steps. I like SRv but I like John Lee Hooker and Albert Collins, etc. more. The good thing about the blues right now is that because it is not "popular" it is being made by people who are really passionate about the blues, no people who are in it for the money. I feel the threadstarters pain as I tried forever to get a bluesband together of kids my age but it just can't happen. Now that many young kinds are into blues nowadays.
Last edited by TheGuitaristMan at Feb 18, 2007,
I think what the blues needs is another incredible innovator. We don't need another B.B. King, Albert King, Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Mayer (I know he's new but I already know some kids that obsess over him like some do over SRV. I just know 10-20 years from now there will be a million John Mayer wannabes), Jeff Beck, and Lord knows we don't need ANOTHER Stevie Ray Vaughn (I could keep on going just in case you're curious). We need a new face, someone with their own idenity. That's what the blues needs. Someone that dares to be different, someone with their own trademark licks. I sure hope he/she comes along soon too.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Quote by Encore_God

You don't have to be living to be on t.v.

Thats beside the point. What i was saying was that the blues has a very limited media outlet, restricting the number of young'ens who could be influenced by them, resulting in lower and lower numbers of new blues bands.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Quote by hamacker
You don't have to be living to be on t.v.

Thats beside the point. What i was saying was that the blues has a very limited media outlet, restricting the number of young'ens who could be influenced by them, resulting in lower and lower numbers of new blues bands.

but what's the point of having a lot of blues bands, it would end up as many other genres, and emo would be a good example
Quote by Quoteman
I think what the blues needs is another incredible innovator. We don't need another B.B. King, Albert King, Freddie King, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Mayer (I know he's new but I already know some kids that obsess over him like some do over SRV. I just know 10-20 years from now there will be a million John Mayer wannabes), Jeff Beck, and Lord knows we don't need ANOTHER Stevie Ray Vaughn (I could keep on going just in case you're curious). We need a new face, someone with their own idenity. That's what the blues needs. Someone that dares to be different, someone with their own trademark licks. I sure hope he/she comes along soon too.

Firstly, the likelihood of Mayer imitators popping up is zero.

Secondly, the blues doesn't 'need' anything. It is already a vast, diverse body of work mastered by many fantastic musicians and valued by millions of people that is there for us to enjoy and jam along to. Everyone still has the blues, its just out there in different ways. The world of rural Mississippi and black Chicago is long, long gone, and people (particularly black people) have new ways to express themselves. Also, have you never heard the Gandhi idea, 'be the change you want to see in the world'?

Might be worth considering.

blues is shit, its not even that hard to play blues scales, or blues licks like everyone makes out to be, theres no altenate picking or sweeping ect, and you got to admit it all sounds the same, the only blues pesron i like is hendrix and i prefer purple haze to red house any day
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
^ shuttup retard
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Quote by PLUGINCHILD
blues is shit, its not even that hard to play blues scales, or blues licks like everyone makes out to be, theres no altenate picking or sweeping ect, and you got to admit it all sounds the same, the only blues pesron i like is hendrix and i prefer purple haze to red house any day

Wow, I had no idea people could be so ignorant, I don't even know what to say, just wow.
Quote by PLUGINCHILD

Go back to playing "Smells like Teen Spirit" little boy. Without the blues metal/punk/grunge/ and all that other garbage (with very few exeptions) you refer to as music wouldn't exist.

And as for my last comment, I just meant if the blues was ever going to make another insurgance/inspire the younger generation it would need something like that. (or in my case, almost accidentally stumble apon it) I love the blues the way it is, when you really get into it you realize there are so many sub-divisions of blues it's enough to keep someone busy for their whole life. From Jazzy Blues to Delta there's alot inbetween.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Last edited by Quoteman at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by PLUGINCHILD

Congratulations sir, you are a complete dumbass! Please come a collect your prize by shutting the **** up! If they blues never existed you're little Grunge movement would have never happened. Hell, you wouldn't even be trying (I say trying because I bet you can't play it worth shit) to play the guitar. Kurt Cobain wouldn't be playing the guitar. I, along with everyone else in the Blues & Jazz thread think you are a major dumbass and your opinions will never be taken seriously again. Good job you **** ass mother****er. Blues FTW.
Quote by PLUGINCHILD
blues is shit, its not even that hard to play blues scales, or blues licks like everyone makes out to be

"The blues is easy to play, but hard to feel" Jimi Hendrix, I believe. And he's right.

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
theres no altenate picking or sweeping ect

So what? You mean to say that you don't listen to any guitar music that doesn't have shred in it? Jeez...

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
and you got to admit it all sounds the same

So Skip James' 'Hard Time Killing Floor Blues', Robert Johnson's '32-20 Blues' and Elmore James' 'Shake Your Money Maker' sound the same? Sure!

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
the only blues pesron i like is hendrix and i prefer purple haze to red house any day

That's called 'personal preference', which is what makes the world go around.

Now that I have regained my composure, I will follow through with a thorough pwning. I will use the clever design that EncoreGod used to disect your rant and point out the problems and mis-understandings in it.

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
blues is shit, its not even that hard to play blues scales, or blues licks like everyone makes out to be,

Some of the earlier blues is easy to play I will give you that, it is based of of easy scales, slow licks, easy 12 and 8 bar rythym. The harder blues would be Hendrix and SRV because of their virtuosity and speed. But what is harder that that? Jazz Blues. Someone like you (an ignorant grunge-shredder wannabe) will never be able to understand the complexity of Jazz.

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
theres no altenate picking or sweeping ect,

There is alternate picking, hell you can use any kind of picking you want. Picking is mainly for speed and you can apply that to any blues thing. If you want to play a lick faster, go ahead and use economy picking, even faster, go ahead and sweep.

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
and you got to admit it all sounds the same,

Let me list a few of the ENDLESS types of blues for you...

Delta Blues
Chicago Blues
Texas Blues
Blues Rock
Slide-based Blues
Jazz Blues
Jump Blues
Swing Blues
Soul Blues
Atlanta Blues
Swamp Blues
Pre-War Blues
Post-War Blues
etc.

Every region has its own style of the Blues. Now let's look at the types of music that are babies of the Blues...

Ragtime
Jazz
Rock n Roll---> Hard Rock---> Heavy Metal
Hip-Hop---> Rap
Pop
Country
Blue Grass
Grunge
etc.

Quote by PLUGINCHILD
the only blues pesron i like is hendrix and i prefer purple haze to red house any day

As EncoreGod said, that is personal prefernece.
Ok, the rant has been thoroughly disected so there's nothing left for me except to call you a ****ing ignorant dumbass.
for rent
What's anyone done to you Gakusey?

The Black Keys is a good blues band that has potential to be big IMO.
I don't like my sig.

Secondly, the blues doesn't 'need' anything. It is already a vast, diverse body of work mastered by many fantastic musicians and valued by millions of people that is there for us to enjoy and jam along to. Everyone still has the blues, its just out there in different ways. The world of rural Mississippi and black Chicago is long, long gone, and people (particularly black people) have new ways to express themselves. Also, have you never heard the Gandhi idea, 'be the change you want to see in the world'?

I'm inclined to agree with Quoteman here.

While only a total moron would deny that the blues has a massive history with hundreds of fantastic artists and a large amount of diversity the attitude that blues doesn't "need" anything is just silly. That's the trap that the majority of blues artists today have fallen into. They're content to just keep rehashing the past (awesome as it may be) and contribute nothing to the evolution of blues music.

Blues music is either going to change over time or die out and my money is on change. We just need to find those artists who are going to facilitate that change, and we've already got a few.

Granted, I do think it's much more difficult to play unique blues music simply because of it's vast history and the expectations of it's audience. It's going to take a lot of creativity on the part of modern blues artists to overcome that and forge a new path.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Quote by RHCP182
What's anyone done to you Gakusey?

The Black Keys is a good blues band that has potential to be big IMO.

Well, I may not be from the US, but it's damn true I enjoy the blues So when someone says something as ignorant as he has, I have the right to call him names
for rent
Quote by deluxity
but what's the point of having a lot of blues bands, it would end up as many other genres, and emo would be a good example

Did you read the title of this thread? I was explaining why I believed that their are fewer blues bands popping up these days. I'm a bit confused on that last part, but I do think it would take a while for a blues band to evolve into an emo band. If thats what you were trying to say.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

Quote by hamacker
I'm a bit confused on that last part, but I do think it would take a while for a blues band to evolve into an emo band. If thats what you were trying to say.

He meant that blues in the mainstream would end up like the contemporary emo genre: a saturated market full of hopeless bands who have lost the point of even making the music.

I think its funny that all these 15 year olds who come in here complaining about the fact that there are no blues bands don't even realise the millions of blues bands who saturated the market in the 1960's/70's.

Quote by Encore_God
He meant that blues in the mainstream would end up like the contemporary emo genre: a saturated market full of hopeless bands who have lost the point of even making the music.

I think its funny that all these 15 year olds who come in here complaining about the fact that there are no blues bands don't even realise the millions of blues bands who saturated the market in the 1960's/70's.

I said nothing about the blues being mainstream. I said that the blues had a very limited media outlet (t.v, radio, news), basically the main sources of information that young people have today. Thats obviously going to have an effect of the types of music that new bands play. Pretty straight foward, yes?
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

Quote by PLUGINCHILD

Was it Muddy or John Lee Hooker who said that the simplest music is hardest to play.

Why come in here and talk trash? I don't see the point?
Quote by hamacker
I said nothing about the blues being mainstream. I said that the blues had a very limited media outlet (t.v, radio, news), basically the main sources of information that young people have today. Thats obviously going to have an effect of the types of music that new bands play. Pretty straight foward, yes?

Yes, I was simply making what the other guy said clearer, seeing as you (somehow) didn't understand that either.

Also, there have never been more different outlets to obtain, hear and absorb blues music than there are today. There are websites, books, download sites like iTunes, online radio stations, online shops like Amazon, YouTube, TV specials, DVDs, fantastic magazines and publications (some of which I've written articles for) and so on, so your argument doesn't stand up whatsoever.

New bands play what they want to play, its always been the same. Some bands will play blues music, some won't. Besides, how many new bands use blues musicians as their influences? Thousands upon thousands.

Page 1 of 3