I'm in the process of starting to learn my first scales. Right now I'm concentrating on the Major Scale, and I'm now quite familiar with the scale. My question is, is how do I move this scale down the neck? Right now I just play it over and over within the first 4 frets that it's contained in. Do I just move it up one fret at a time, repeating the pattern, or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for the dumb question, but all of the online resources that I've found just point out the specific position for the notes in the scale, but don't explain what I'm supposed to do with it.

Thanks.
ok, so here's the scale that I've been doing:
. I've played this from low to high, starting on the low e string and working up to the high E string, then back down.

If I just start moving this around the fret board, how does this specific pattern still manage to have any relevance? Also, this scale pattern looks a LOT different than the tabbed out patterns that I see in most of the UG lessons. I'm having a hard time fitting all of this stuff together to a point where I can start understanding what I'm actually doing. I want to make sure that as I'm going through these motions, that I'm understanding what I'm doing so that I can properly find my way around the guitar.

Thanks
If you just move that shape up the neck all you do is change the key.

If you want to move up the neck in the same key, you need to play a different shape, using the same notes.

Make sense?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I think so. I've looked at the major scales from the UG lessons and I'm starting to see the connection.

I was having a major bonehead moment that I just managed to get over. The Gmajor scale is indeed the same thing (but moved up a fret). I was looking at the tab, and for whatever reason, was seeing it in a visual way, thinking that the higher strings were played farther down the fret board, not just later in time.

Thanks for the help.
Here is something which might help (I work visually).

The first picture is the notes of G Major. I tagged each one with the number in the scale. As you can see the G is the first note, followed by A, followed by B, etc.

The numbers run down as well as across so you can see the relationship.

In the second picture I highlighted the scale you are practicing now in blue. The next section (with a different pattern) is in green, followed by another section in orange. The notes in each section are the same, but because they are on a different part of the fretboard they fall into a different pattern.

I hope this helps some.
Attachments:
fretboard_g_major.gif
fretboard_g_major_color.gif
And you can apply this pattern to the next scale up by simply moving the pattern to start on a new note.

For example, you can apply this pattern to C Major by moving the pattern to start on the 7 & 8th fret. Same pattern, different scale only because it is higher up the fretboard.

Here are the other two to compare:

edit... there is a typo in G major, the F should be a F#. (sorry)
Last edited by rebel_musician at Feb 8, 2007,
Btw, rebel musician, where did you get those pictures? It would be nice to have a picture like that for all of the different scales (or at least the basic ones).
Quote by copet
Btw, rebel musician, where did you get those pictures? It would be nice to have a picture like that for all of the different scales (or at least the basic ones).

Hey, what I did was just create those for the post in a graphics program I have. Tell you what, give me some time and I will post some others.
Sounds great man! I know it would be at the top of my favorites list, its a lot better than looking at tabs. Graphics and the color-coding helped a lot!