Im getting some yamaha starter pack off my friend that hes had for about a year for my old computer in a trade. Ive been playing guitar for a while and i figured i just wanted to try bass, assuming it can only make me better at guitar. I want to play with my fingers and i'd like to learn some chili peppers songs to start out, because i think my fretting hand is good enough. The only thing is, i wanted to ask some assistance and tips for playing with your fingers.
What kind of music will you be playing? All i can say really is to start off alternating between your index and middle fingers when picking the strings, it may take time but eventually you will get the hang of it
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Peppers, maybe some newer trivium if i get better, and a lot of metal, but thats easy cuz ill be using a pick. and maybe some sabbath and stuff. pretty much anything with a good sounding bassline in it that i can find.
When you are comfortable playing with index and middle fingers, I recommend throwing the ring finger in there too. It doesn't suit all types of music but for stuff like trivium it helps
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
But when i play bass on my guitar (yeah sounds silly but sometimes i wanna play bass ya know...) playing with my index and middle fingers just seem a bit too easy.
Using three fingers definitely will help, like indie said. Especially for trivium stuff as Paulo is quick as hell and uses 3 fingers. But start at your own speed. I recomment alternating the index and middle finger.
signature
Quote by toddpens8771
Why doesnt anyone use the pinky?

The relative strength of your pinky and just awkwardness of how it would be positioned when plucking the string relative to the other fingers. If you want to add a 4th finger, use your thumb, index, middle and ring.
Quote by toddpens8771

I know i use my pinky when i play if i have to with no problem. I like to, i think it feels good on my pinky...lol
My babys
Dean 5 string
alvarez electric/acoustic 4 string
Experimental Squier standard P-bass (quarter pounders and hip shot bridge)
Well you might not learn red hot so soon. Umm learn trivium first. Thier bassist isnt all that good. You will need to build up your fingering hand first. It can take some time. Just sit there and play with your fingers on each string until you get faster and can last longer.
Try playing let there be rock by Ac Dc to get some finger strength.Its not a hard song and not to fast but kinda of fun to play.
Quote by toddpens8771

I saw a guy playing with all his fingers, yes pinky too and thumb is not a finger, and the speed he played was just insane, but it sounded like pure crap though.
i just use two fingers and ive been playing for about two and a half years. Il probably start using a third soon, not that i really need to. My only problem is i dont practice more than two hours a week, and its usualy less than that, so im only a grade 4 player. But id say the best idea is to start playing with index and middle fingers until youre comfortable with your bass, and then to expand by playing with more fingers. The only thing is, its not really necessary to play with more than two i feel. I can play fast enough with two fingers. Its a matter of personal taste really.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"