hi guys
I just bought an epiphone lp custom.... and man is it sick !!!! i've been playing for about a year with a crap strat copy, and damn was i missing out lol. Anyways, my question is about the action. i'm used to playing with an absurdly high action, but the lp's action is very low it seems and i find i'm playing sloppy and getting alot of string noise. Is this normal for people who switch or is it a technique problem? i'm also getting unwanted noise when i bend or do some vibrato....
sounds like the action might be a little too low.

are u getting fret buzz and choked notes when u play note for note along the board?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
get the actionup a bit
but LP's are SUPPOSED to have a low action
it makes playing easier and faster
Sounds like you have some fret buzz, as the action is a bit TOO low.

Check the harmonics at the 12th fret for your intonation too, incase that is out. Some of the notes near the end of the fretboard may be muted or sound crap. You might have to raise it...

I always find the action needs adjusting on a new guitar
how do I check the intonation? I have an electric tuner, so can I just hook it up and hit the 12th fret notes and see if they are EADGBE?
^yes, but lets deal with the action first.

one is string height. one is tuning. no point tuning it, if u plan on rasing the action afterwards.

do u think u need to raise ur action?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

yea, i think i should raise it a little bit. i'm losing sustain near the 15th fret and i'm kinda used to a higher action now

ok just loosen the top scew on each side of the bridge. raise the thumbscrews, pointed to by red arrows, then tighten it all up again.

sometimes it helps ato detune a little first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok thanks guys. If I raise the action, will it mess with my intonation in the long run? I'm guessing it won't but with my cheaper strat copy i lowered the action and i had major fret buzz and intonation problems, and I don't want that with my new guitar
ty
so if the strings are too low, it makes it harder to play clean? I adjust them as low as possible sacrificing some ?"ring"? thinking that it will help me play cleaner.
Quote by tbone1088
ok thanks guys. If I raise the action, will it mess with my intonation in the long run? I'm guessing it won't but with my cheaper strat copy i lowered the action and i had major fret buzz and intonation problems, and I don't want that with my new guitar
ty

it's always good to check the intonation either way.

it's just tuning, so it will need adjusting time to time.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

remember to retune the open string between measurements.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

what are some tips for elliminating string noise and during fast riffs and bends. im playing the right notes but there is alot of other noises especially at higher volumes
muting the strings with ur palm. if u feel the noise is caused by fretbuzz then u might want to raise the strings a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

how do you guys get good vibrato? I find the string tension is so tight I can barely get any vibrato before it slips... is it supposed to be harder with a low action? or should i just tune down half a step???
what i ment by string noise for example is when during a pull-off i always touch the strings around it real light but it makes a backround noise and palm muting doesn't help because then the note u pulled-off to does not sound sound. any other tips ? this has been messing up my playing for a while
Quote by tbone1088
how do you guys get good vibrato? I find the string tension is so tight I can barely get any vibrato before it slips... is it supposed to be harder with a low action? or should i just tune down half a step???

Getting a good vibrato highly depends on your technique, i suggest you look out for lessons on how to do it properly. Sure lowering the gauge or downtuning would help but you'll lose your tonal preference.
Quote by i suck
what i ment by string noise for example is when during a pull-off i always touch the strings around it real light but it makes a backround noise and palm muting doesn't help because then the note u pulled-off to does not sound sound. any other tips ? this has been messing up my playing for a while

you need to work on your left hand muting technique
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i tried adjusting the intonation on my les paul, but on the d-string i even shortend the string as far as it can go and the fretted note is still flater than the harmonic. Also, it seems like the d string is not fully ringing for some reason.. why is this?
^
- check that its strung properly
- make sure the string isnt too low making the string dead right even before you pick it
- check your tuner's battery/power supply
- if the intonation cant go any further, i suggest you start from the furthest opposite direction and adjust slowly from there
- see that you always retune and stay in tune/perfect pitch after each time you reintonate

** on the basis that you know the ABC of intonation how tos.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic