ok heres the deal,i have a strat and a les paul,and you guys tell me which guitar i need to use to get steve vais sound(or the closest to it seeing he uses an ibanez)also,i play through a peavey studio pro 112,i need to know what bass/low,teb/high,and mid is to get closer to his sound also.

thanks.
The amp is far more important than the guitar, so worry about that. As far as sound goes, plenty of midrange and treble, not too much bass and a boosted, overdriven tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I got exited because I thought you were going to give us a complete review of all vai's gear and how he uses them but.... complete and awesome it is not
Well, here's his current list of gear (as current as I know of anyway)

Guitars - see his site
Amps - Carvin Legacy Heads
Effects...

Morley Little Alligator Volume
Morley Bad Horsie Wah (I have not seen any recent rig pics that show a BH2, so I'm guessing it's the first generation wah).
Digitech Whammy
Boss DS-1 (Modded by Analog-Man)
Ibanez TS-9 DX (Modded by Keeley)
MXR EVH Phase 90
Unknown Wah/Volume/Expression Pedal (this has been sitting in front of his pedalboard for some time now...not quite sure what it's used for).
TC Electronics G-System

And as far as getting the tones he gets using your Peavey amp and your guitars...I have no clue, but that is quite an ambitious goal considering all of the gear he uses.
Bring out the bass and mids, but keep the treble high enough to get low and high end bite, with a warm tonal range at the same time. Really you need a guitar made of basswood, and a decent amp
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by J.MitMetallica
Bring out the bass and mids, but keep the treble high enough to get low and high end bite, with a warm tonal range at the same time. Really you need a guitar made of basswood, and a decent amp

Or Alder (Evo)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
Or Alder (Evo)

I will respect your opinion, as you have a 7V. So that's why Evo sounds so bright...well there you go...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join