Okay, I'm just learning to play with keys, and am studying which chords go in which keys, major and minor. But I'm really just starting to 'get it,' so I have a question.

I came up with a chord progression that sounds great fingerpicked, but I'm not entierly sure if it's in the key I think it's in. The progression is:

Am->D->Am->D->D7->G...

And I'll move on from there. Am I right in thinking this is in the key of G? One thing I always get confused about is knowing how to tell one key from another...I'm sure this fits into the key of G, but doesn't it also go with the key of D? Thanks!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
The reason it doesn't go in the Key of D is because Am and D7 both have C natural in them, in the key of D there is a C#
Quote by bigmanwithanaxe
The reason it doesn't go in the Key of D is because Am and D7 both have C natural in them, in the key of D there is a C#

+1
I'm riding with G on this one . D7 brings a strong tension and it releases when it comes to the G. It's a V7-I thing, which has a large impact on the tonality of a progression. Amin is simply the 2nd of G. It's common in jazz to just use the V-ii-I. It's more of the V-I stuff when you think about it. A is the 5th of D, and D is the 5th of G, woo woo.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
^Wow. It's going to be some time before I can understand that without looking at my notes! Thanks though, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Never thought of this little riff as a jazzy thing, though...I'll have to play around with that idea! Actually, when I first came up with it, it reminded me of something from Uriah Heep.

Thanks!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.