yo all, i was in town 2day and played a SX KY1/CUS24 in my local guitar shop, it only cost £199, and it did sound like a 199 guitar, but it did play very well and it was a good weight etc etc i think it was just the pickups that let it down. this thing looks great, obviously a prs rip off, with the bird inlays on the fretboard. but it still looks realy nice. now i was wondering if this would b a good guitar 2 get if i just changed the pickups on it and threw on sum duncan designed ones i hav left over from my jackson rhoads?

whats ur opinion people?
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Jackson DX10D Rhoads (EMG 81/85)
Jackson Dinky (dimebucker)
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
Hughes and Kettner triliogy head + 4x12 cab
Line 6 spider 2 head w/ marshall 1960 B cab
I have an SX SG Just thought Id let you know I like it anyways
depends what wood its made out of. try and find out the wood. pickups give different sounds in different materials.

if it's made out of plywood or something then new pickups wont help the sound too much.
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Duncan Designed's aren't nearly as good as real Seymour Duncans, so I don't think swapping one bad pickup for another is going to do much. The Duncan Designed's may sound a little better, but they will not radically improve the sound.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Duncan Designed's aren't nearly as good as real Seymour Duncans, so I don't think swapping one bad pickup for another is going to do much. The Duncan Designed's may sound a little better, but they will not radically improve the sound.

well im also willing 2 spend money of better pickups if i need 2, i could always bump the emgs of my rhoads
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
I have an SX telecaster knock off. It's an awesome guitar for $109. However, I've already stripped the guitar/paint and got all new parts for it....including the neck. GFS pickups (H/S) are ready to go in once I finish up. I went a little overboard, but a I would say a pickup change and maybe new tuners would make it an awesome, yet inexpensive axe. It was built soild as well.

heres the model sx i got. They are made of decent woods. The hardware could be better but its not as bad as my squier. since you plan on upgrading pickups it sounds like a good deal
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
My SX is a strat copy. Alder wood, similar weight as Fenders. Neck was a little thick but I got used to it.
Tuners are usable.
Bridge is pretty good, although I have the trem screwed all the way down.
The pickups had to go, didn't like them at all. I got a $40 drop in wired pickguard to replace the pups and now its a good guitar.
Replacing the Tuners and a nice fret job will make this a much better guitar tho.
Overall I am very pleased with my SX strat.
I used to have an SX guitar.

That are a good beginner guitar, but nothing brilliant.
Quote by vanzant38
My SX is a strat copy. Alder wood, similar weight as Fenders. Neck was a little thick but I got used to it.
Tuners are usable.
Bridge is pretty good, although I have the trem screwed all the way down.
The pickups had to go, didn't like them at all. I got a $40 drop in wired pickguard to replace the pups and now its a good guitar.
Replacing the Tuners and a nice fret job will make this a much better guitar tho.
Overall I am very pleased with my SX strat.

wat do u mean by "a nice fret job"?
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
wat do u mean by "a nice fret job"?

from what I've heard, they "may" have sharp edges along the edge. Not that it'll cut your hand open, but you can feel fret(s) where it wasn't filed down smooth. My SX was okay. Also, you may to have it setup. I beleive you'll find the action to be a bit high, and intonation possibly off.
Quote by McFadden
from what I've heard, they "may" have sharp edges along the edge. Not that it'll cut your hand open, but you can feel fret(s) where it wasn't filed down smooth. My SX was okay. Also, you may to have it setup. I beleive you'll find the action to be a bit high, and intonation possibly off.

I also got an SX strat and i have the same problem. Well I don't know anything about this guitar, what's the wood, fretbrd etc - it was given to me as a present.. They paid 200euros I wonder if thats a decent price.

EDIT: It was a starter pack with strap, gigbag, picks and a 12watt amp
Last edited by CyAC at Feb 9, 2007,
No, mine is different.. Different colour and has 21 frets, not 22
SX guitars are made from the same woods as the higher end ones. They just lower costs by using cheap electronics and pickups. Swap out the pups, pots, and maybe the tuners too. You'll have yourself an amazing guitar for a fraction of the PRS's price. My SX strat is stock, and it plays and sounds better than a Fender MIM strat.

I actually had a chance to visit Rondo Music in Union, NJ (30 min from my house) before they closed their doors to the public. I was VERY impressed with all of the guitars I played, including a few 335 copies, a couple Les Paul copies, and the telecasters felt amazing too.