Does anyone use one of there, whats the score with them, they seem kind of expensive, are they not simply a way of getting a massive map to sound quiter when playing at home?
Attenataur.

What kind of dinosaur was that?
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Attenuators are basically built for valve amps so that you can effectively crank the amp to achieve a good sound at a low volume. They go between the amp and the speaker.

I personally wouldn't get one but that's because i can crank my amps whenever i feel like (within reason).
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
It does the opposite of what an amplifier does.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
if you have a tube amp, go on ebay and look for the seller called Omnisonic. they sell them for about $20. I have one for my Fender Blues Deluxe and it works great. like the above poster said, you can crank up the volume and gain on the amp, then lower the volume on the attenuator and still get a good sound at a lower volume. cranking the tubes is what having a tube amp is about, so you need one of these if you can't play at very loud volumes all the time.
I can't really I only play at home or jam with friends, thats why I am not sure a ss would not be the best option for me, just can't decide, trying to work out the options. I tried the dsl 401 and really liked it, but is it too loud for at home.
Quote by turkish_bathmat
I can't really I only play at home or jam with friends, thats why I am not sure a ss would not be the best option for me, just can't decide, trying to work out the options. I tried the dsl 401 and really liked it, but is it too loud for at home.

the volume you play at should have no bearing on whether you get tube or solid state. I have a Fender solidstate that sounds just as crappy at low volume as my Fender tube. personally, I'd go with the tube amp and get the $20 volumebox off ebay, it's sweet. you can get a heavily distorted, thick tone even if you turn the volume so low that you can barely hear it.

if all you play is real heavy stuff, maybe consider a ss. but if you play all different kinds of music, I'd definitely get the tube amp.
Yeah I think you are right and the dsl was great, and not to expensive in the UK. Are these boxes off the net that cost $20 as good as these bigger units that cost like £200?
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
That's genius for a tenner, compared to over £200 for a THD hot plate. Surely it must be worse/affect the sound etc?

Why would it use the effects loop rather than the speaker out?
Quote by pity tha' foo'
Attenataur.

What kind of dinosaur was that?

HAHAHAHAH

Sorry for the little bit of spammage I just wanted to share how funny I thought that was...

Attenuator, he means...
They make the amp cranked, but at manageable volumes.
You'd want one if you're not getting enough gain from a single channel amp, or it's too loud.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by turkish_bathmat
Yeah I think you are right and the dsl was great, and not to expensive in the UK. Are these boxes off the net that cost $20 as good as these bigger units that cost like £200?

I've never used the $200 units. but I've had the $20 volumeboxes for a 5150 and a Fender Blues Deluxe and it works great on both. if all the expensive attenuators are supposed to do is keep the high gain sound and cut the overall volume, then yes, the $20 boxes are just as good.