How does he do it? Satch that is!

I'm trying to write instrumental stuff. How do you guys come up with your riffs, melodies, ideas etc?
play, and don't stop until you hear something nice. the night is very good for ideas, make sure you record yourself though cause you'll always forget them
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
play, and don't stop until you hear something nice. the night is very good for ideas, make sure you record yourself though cause you'll always forget them

Ha yes. Good point!
Satch's secret is his theory knoledge [this all comes from an interview with the man himself and a feature he did in TG]

he's able to hear somethign in his head, and be able to analyse what he's hearing, and so able to transpose it from his head onto the guitar
which makes it far easier to create music
^ is correct i believe. the more theory you know (and how to apply it) the easier it is to just be able to play what you hear in your head. although i have a ton of ways to write music (and that is one, though i'm not exceptional at it like satch, few people are) another way is to just jam until you hear something you really dig (which is what someone else suggested) and i recommend only playing when you feel inspired, if you don't feel like playing/being creative then you might try to force it and usually if its forced or uninspired it will sound like it.
Quote by Galvanise69
my problem is i come up with licks and riffs and stuff all the time and there good too. But none of them actually seem to fit together....

If you learn some theory, it will be one billion times easier to modify different parts to fit together. I'm very familiar with your problem, and can assure you that it's much easier to create something that sounds more like a song than a bucket of riffs and licks if you learn something about how music works.