i have been playing guitar now for about 7-8 months, i teach myself from tabs therefore i only know the very basic normal chords names and string names - i dont know what each fret is and everything......i am generally good at music (i have played the clarinet for about 7-8 years and the euphonium for about 5 years) so i can pick things like that up quite quickly......but all i do is learn where to put my fingers for the songs i get tabs to, if that makes sense......

where should i be in terms of how well i can play guitar and knowing the note names and everyting, after 7 months of teaching myself? i have my own little band but we are still on cover songs and when we did charity gigs and stuff we sounded pretty good (so i was told anyway).....but the songs were all covers and i cant really make up my own stuff properly till i know all the notes and stuff......
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
well at this point you should be able to do just that - play songs from tabs. im actually surprised youre gigging, but if people are complimenting you on gigs then thats good. i cant stress this strongly enough - if lessons are even a possibility, and you want to improve more quickly, TAKE LESSONS.
^^Yes, take lessons. Theory is one of those things that you may not think you need, but as soon as you start learning a little bit, you wonder how you ever got by with out it. Song writing changes from good or bad to good or great, and so much can be done.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
i've been self taught for about almost 4 years now and im better than my friend who has taken private lessons for more than three years. i don't know how to read music for guitar or the names of the notes but i can play them. Your skill level depends on how much you practice stuff. In time if you practice a lot you'll be pretty good, plus 7 months isn't that long. You had a better start than i did in my first couple months.And most of the greats don't know scales or notes and they can come up with awsome music. For me i got used to the sounds of the notes and can make things up pretty easily.
i would get lessons but the only think stopping me at the minute is money - im in year 11 still so havnt got much money of my own and my parents already pay for enough music things for me
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
^What greats are you talking about. Other than Hendrix, what great player doesn't know theory?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Youve been playing clarinet since you were 3? You should be a whiz at sight reading, then play of real music not tabs. Guitar theory should be cake for you.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by MySweetFracture
Youve been playing clarinet since you were 3? You should be a whiz at sight reading, then play of real music not tabs. Guitar theory should be cake for you.

by year 11 i think he means 11th grade. not 11 years old
year i mean year 11 at school - im 15 (nearly 16) now ....
Oh ok. Sorry, i forget they refer to it differently in the UK. STill, i would be reading standard notation if i were you, because i think it makes a better musician.
Not Enough AssHatery
Quote by famous_sas182
jimmy page

now i'm not saying i'm better...or that he wasn't that good, but when you look at his solos, it's mostly pentatonics and often pretty sloppy. So...if you want to be better than jimmy page you should probably learn theory, and practice technique

and clarinet is MUCH harder than guitar... you should have no problem