what does it do, how do you adjust it, and how does it affect the sound? Because occasionally i have a little fret buzz and i read in another thread it might be the action, how should i fix it?
what kind of gutiar?
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
it matters on how to go about adjusting it. so you have an adjusto matic bridge i suppose. loosen the strings and turn the two bolts on either side of the bridge so they get taller until the fret buzz is gone but still comfortable
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Thanks a lot but how does the action affect the sound of the guitar?(i play mostly metalish stuff...)
Flathead screwdriver for that one. Test every fret after adjusting it to make sure there is no buzz any where.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
actionn is just a word for string height from the frets. it doesnt change the sound just the playability
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
the action. buzz is the result of low action
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Quote by The_Clap
actionn is just a word for string height from the frets. it doesnt change the sound just the playability

Very untrue, a high action guitar will have more volume and beter sound quality. Too high is not good, but people who lower their action as low as it gets, will have a slightly worse tone.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
no wonder my strat sounds like shit theyre skimming every fret. thanks bro
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well this has been a pretty succesful thread. So basically action can affect the tone..what is tone?(i know im a complete idiot)
Quote by Octavianus
Very untrue, a high action guitar will have more volume and beter sound quality. Too high is not good, but people who lower their action as low as it gets, will have a slightly worse tone.

i have one of my guitars with low super low action with out fretbuzz... and i find its sounds better tone wise then with high action.....
Quote by fretbuzz
i have one of my guitars with low super low action with out fretbuzz... and i find its sounds better tone wise then with high action.....

It's just about getting it set up well. I've had my PGM set up about a month ago and the action is just as low as it was but the fret buzz is gone (filed nut, raised bridge, straightened neck) and it gives me a lot of room to play around.

Thinking about it, how could a high action possibly be louder? The strings are further from the pickups. That makes no sense.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You can heighten your pickups
If your action is high, your strings are slightly flappier making them easier to bend and vibrate with a wider amplitude, thus adding volume with the same pickup height. The disadvantage is that fretting requires more effort, so fast runs are harder.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
There's definately such thing as "too high" action, particularily on acoustic guitars -- I'd consider your action "too high" if it impedes your ability to play, which it certainly can do.
Albeit low action makes for wobbly-sounding strings that buzz too much.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Well this has been a pretty succesful thread. So basically action can affect the tone..what is tone?(i know im a complete idiot)

super-subjective. it's the sound you look for in an electric guitar.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!