It actually sounds cool but I don't know if it's theorically correct... if it is, what key is it in and how to know it?? if not, what's wrong??

Gmaj -> Em -> Dmaj -> Amaj -> Cmaj -> Amaj -> Dmaj -> Gmaj and do it again...

Thanks!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Is that a neutral milk hotel song?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Do not ask things about a progression or riff by saying 'is it right?'
You could ask does it fit into a particular scale? No. But you could play it in G Major the C# in the A chord would simply be an accidental.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I wouldn't say it's incorrect, but you don't stick to one key. The chords outline G major (G ionian ), but the A major chord includes the note C#, which does not belong. If you were to stick to Gmajor, you would have to use Aminor instead.

However, there's is no rule that says you have to stick to a single key.
its very country-esque in feel. there are quite a few country songs that do things like this. i would call the C# an accidental and go with Gmajor as the song sounds like it should resolve to the G major
If it sounds cool, it's right. Knowing some theory doesn't mean you have to adhere rigidly to the 'rules' of composition.
Well, as has been said above, a chord progression is never WRONG. But it doesnt fit to a certain key. It is close to G major, only with the Amaj chord having a C#, which is not in G major. OR it could be close to G lydian (D major), if you changed the C major to a C# dminished.

Chord progression for a major scale is:
I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim).

If it would be in G major, your chords should be:
Gmaj - Am - Bm - Cmaj - Dmaj - Em - Fdim.
only problem is that your A should be an Am.

Now, the Lydian chord progression uses the same chords, but starting on the fourth scale tone.
I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim)
turns into
I II iii iv(dim) V vi vii.
That would mean your G lydian progression (same notes as D major) would go like this:
Gmaj - Amaj - Bm - C#dim - Dmaj - Em - F#m
and then you'd have to change your Cmajor to a C# diminished in order to be perfectly in that key.

Im guessing you're going for the ionian sound rather than lydian..but im just opening up some opportunites
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Feb 8, 2007,
the song sounds like it's taking another direction when you hit the A (probably because you change keys). do whatever you want, but i'd change it to an aminor if i were you (just to make it flow better)
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
Actually, I think it sounds cool if you replace the 2nd A chord with an Em chord. But whatever it's your song.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
well now I know it's "correct" but it doesnt fit into any scale/mode/whatever..

But lets say if the Gmaj chord wasn't there.. would it fit into something?? Cause when I play all the chords but the Gmaj, it gives me a special feeling and when I go back to the Gmaj it feels like a "rebirth" loll.. so maybe it means the key changes to play the Gmaj and then goes back to whatever it was before?? Actually, I don't know much theory about scales progressions, keys, scales and modes :S

I know pretty much only my chords atm and how chord formation works... anyways
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by hurlyz
Gmaj -> Em -> Dmaj -> Amaj -> Cmaj -> Amaj -> Dmaj -> Gmaj and do it again
I turned that into: Gmaj -> Em -> Cmaj -> Dmaj -> Gmaj and start over... (basically I changed the progression and I removed the Amaj chord... does it fit into a key now?)

Quote by Resiliance

Quote by aprescott_27
Actually, I think it sounds cool if you replace the 2nd A chord with an Em chord. But whatever it's your song.
well its not really a song haha... I was just messign with my chords other day... never tried replacing those chords with something else actually ... I'll try that some day!

Quote by Resiliance

I'd actually call it Dmajor and have the C as the bVII

fairly common, just a bit of a sub.
Quote by hurlyz
well now I know it's "correct" but it doesnt fit into any scale/mode/whatever..

But lets say if the Gmaj chord wasn't there.. would it fit into something?? Cause when I play all the chords but the Gmaj, it gives me a special feeling and when I go back to the Gmaj it feels like a "rebirth" loll.. so maybe it means the key changes to play the Gmaj and then goes back to whatever it was before?? Actually, I don't know much theory about scales progressions, keys, scales and modes :S

I know pretty much only my chords atm and how chord formation works... anyways

The thing is that the chords Amajor and Cmajor, don't really occur together in any regular key, but that doesn't mean they can't be used together. You shouldn't remove the G chords, as G is the tonic (root note) of the key you're in. For a nice touch on your final "rebirth"/coming home/resolve, try using a D7 instead of regular D.

Anyways, if you wanna learn theory, there are lots of good stuff in the lessons/columns sections of ultimate guitar.