Page 1 of 2
ok im debating between a marshall AVT50X and a Line 6 Spider III 120 watt amp.

i am a big fan of marshall but the line 6 seems like a good buy for what it has to offer. any feedback guys?
Get something like a tube combo or if thats too much roland cube 60, it has better effects than the spider and sound better than both.
agreed with lisagabe- hell if u want a 120watt 2x12, just get crate instead of line 6 or peavey, but not line6
The 120 watt version is pricey. Get a tube amp, or a different solid state amp.

In my limited memory, the AVT sucked. It's been a while. Try 'em both. Good luck.
crate and peavy make very good solid state amps, before i got my 6505, i played through an old peavey bandit, that old thing was awsome.....
If you'v narrowed it down to those 2 amps in my opinion you should go for the Marshall. I'v been looking into the Marshall MG AVT's and the Randall RGG3 series amps. I did look into the line6 spider 2s last year at to be honest just listen to the sound demos on the site (if there still there)

I know its a digital amp but it just sounds to computerised. one of my old college mates that has the 112 said he could see where I'm coming from.... I think he regrets buying it.

Do yourself a favor and get the Marshall
youre a big fan of marshall?
have you even played a REAL marshall?
the AVT and MG they suck. the line 6 is just behind, although its a low end modelling amp. dont get them, youll regret it.

you should check out the epiphone Valve Junior.
Either get a cheaper tube amp or a nice modelling amp such as Roland or Vox.
Just my two cents...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
OK STOP.... AVT blows, Spider blows.

And depending on the type of music you play, I would avoid solid state as well. I must have said this a million times on here but...dont go cheap with amps....you gotta save up and look for good deals or else your not going to be happy. Of course if your only playing in your room at low volumes it doesnt matter what you get. You wont ever know your amp suck if you dont put it next to a Mesa, a VHT, or a Soldana or something....
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
of all honesty, it doesnt matter if you get tube or not. get what sound you want and what you can afford because i doubt your going on tour or playing huge venues so you dont need "perfect tone" from tube sound or can even tell the difference. but out of those two get the marshall but try it out to what YOU like, not these kids that have probobly played 2% of the amps they talk shit about
Quote by cannibal_animal
you should check out the epiphone Valve Junior.
****ing damnit I hate when people suggest the VJ in cases like these.
Quote by Crimson_Eve
You wont ever know your amp suck if you dont put it next to a Mesa, a VHT, or a Soldana or something....

Never heard of a SoldanA....

Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix.

+1. You don't need superior tube tone. You need a wide range of sounds and cool effects to play with.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Just for the 2% precent comment I'll be a decent guy a let you know as nicely as i can that if I havent played an amp I have no problem saying I dont know anything about it. I owned the spider and I looked into the AVT. And as i said....they blow. And if you read my post I said that if he has no problem only playing in his room or something it wont matter if his tone isnt the best because he wont be playing next to someone with an amazing tone.

But he is right...dont rely on us. Play what you like, I'm just trying to save you some time and money so you dont buy something flashy that doesn'y deliver.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die

congrats, you made the two worst choices possible.

Crate, Vox, Peavey.

'nuff said
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Look at cheaper tube amps. You can get much better amps at the price of AVTs or Spider III.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
****ing damnit I hate when people suggest the VJ in cases like these.

i cant help its amazing price!
all you need is a pedal or two and a cab and youre SET!
Roland Cube 60, Spiders aren't as bad as people make them out to be, however they still suck. Same with the AVTs.
Quote by cannibal_animal
i cant help its amazing price!
all you need is a pedal or two and a cab and youre SET!

I know its a killer little amp for $99. But the kid is a beginner...he needs something with a lot of tonal capabilities. A good modeling is the best way to find the tone you like if you dont really know whats out there, IMO.
+1 with Andy.

If you're a beginner, it'll be excellent to start of with a decent solid state amp with ton of effects. It will generally give you a good idea on what you want with a pretty good amp to play around with too; gigging and practicing.

Don't ever considering buying low end marshalls; avt, mg's etc. or line 6 amps. Line 6's are waaay too digital sounding on their clean and distortion settings and the MG's/AVT"s are just a marketing scheme. They're just too much for what they're really worth.

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You couldn't have picked any worse choices. It's like choosing between being mugged and being beat up.

For them prices get a decent modelling amp or a low price valve amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by soccerdude3465
+1. You don't need superior tube tone. You need a wide range of sounds and cool effects to play with.

No matter how different or interesting your sound is or how fast you are, nobody will listen to you if you have bad tone. Yes, even though like, 80% is in your fingers, a good amp will help a lot. Effects should come second, IMO...

You should get a small versatile amp (preferrably a tube combo), like the valve jr or blues jr... In my opinion.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I know its a killer little amp for $99. But the kid is a beginner...he needs something with a lot of tonal capabilities. A good modeling is the best way to find the tone you like if you dont really know whats out there, IMO.

I agree with you. If the kids looking at a 120W Spider, the 5W Epi ain't a great alternative. But where does it say that this kid's a beginner? He's been on the site since '05, he should've learned something by now!

Cube/Valvetronix would seem to be the right recommendation, though.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
NO....no cube, no solid state, no modeling amp....unless of course you enjoy sounding like shit. Be smart about this. Go to a guitar center, or something play a bunch of amps that would be regarded as good. Get a sense for what tone is. Then base your decision on a balance of tone and money. And like said before....leave effects out of the equation. They wont make you sound any better. If your tone isnt good, effects just highlight your crappy tone.

So your choices are:
1. Be happy with a not so great tone and just have fun plaing
2. Buy the best tube amp you can for your money and enjoy your not half bad tone.
3. Save up, get something badass,and in the mean time learn to play some amazing riffs and songs. Then when you get the cash, buy an amp that will take those amazing riffs and songs and send them out of this world.

If you were playing shows it would be one thing. But if your happy just jammin out and getting to be the best player you can(which is a good idea) then stick with what you got and save up until the time has come to dominate the rest of the world with your killer playing and amazing tone.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Quote by Crimson_Eve
NO....no cube, no solid state, no modeling amp....unless of course you enjoy sounding like shit. Be smart about this. Go to a guitar center, or something play a bunch of amps that would be regarded as good. Get a sense for what tone is. Then base your decision on a balance of tone and money. And like said before....leave effects out of the equation. They wont make you sound any better. If your tone isnt good, effects just highlight your crappy tone.

So your choices are:
1. Be happy with a not so great tone and just have fun plaing
2. Buy the best tube amp you can for your money and enjoy your not half bad tone.
3. Save up, get something badass,and in the mean time learn to play some amazing riffs and songs. Then when you get the cash, buy an amp that will take those amazing riffs and songs and send them out of this world.

If you were playing shows it would be one thing. But if your happy just jammin out and getting to be the best player you can(which is a good idea) then stick with what you got and save up until the time has come to dominate the rest of the world with your killer playing and amazing tone.

The smart thing to do is get a Cube.
Quote by soccerdude3465

+2
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Quote by kurdtkobaign
The smart thing to do is get a Cube.

Its only the smart thing to do if he enjoys wasting time and money on an amp that simply wont deliver. Its a low end amp. Sure it delivers a few different tones....but none of them are great, or even good for the most part. And as far as cool effects... well they are limited and arent really able to be customized to fit a song. You almost have to fit the song around the effects.

Seriously...come on. If you are going to buy a cube, you might as well just stick with the tone you have now and wait for something better than "ok" But hey...if you wanna spend $400 now, just to start over when you realize it really isnt any good... go for it.

There are quite a few amps in that price range...and if you spend a little more you get into even better stuff. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of the over 50% off on the B-52's. Who wouldnt wanna buy a $1000 or a $1400 amp for half price???
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Where in the name of **** does it say the threadstarter is a begginner, or even a kid for that matter? Holy shit for all you know he could be a she and he/she could have been playing since they were two, only they just decided its time to upgrade. God you people are ****ing losers who need to pull your superior mumbo jumbo out of your assess, stop spending so much time on the forums, actually go play your instruments, and open your minds to a little more than your own raggity assed biased assumptions.

god.

And for the threadstarter i reccomend the Spider but get a Spider II if you can, dont bother paying all the extra cash for a bunch of presets you probably won t even use.
Quote by TheCalvinator
Where in the name of **** does it say the threadstarter is a begginner, or even a kid for that matter? Holy shit for all you know he could be a she and he/she could have been playing since they were two, only they just decided its time to upgrade. God you people are ****ing losers who need to pull your superior mumbo jumbo out of your assess, stop spending so much time on the forums, actually go play your instruments, and open your minds to a little more than your own raggity assed biased assumptions.

god.

And for the threadstarter i reccomend the Spider but get a Spider II if you can, dont bother paying all the extra cash for a bunch of presets you probably won t even use.

Hmm...its funny you say that...I actually just set down my guitar from and am taking abreak from playing steve vai and the originals that a friend of mine and I wrote together. And I have yet to say he/she was a beginner. So first if your going to recomend a spider, make it the III considering its tonal quality is far beyond that of the II. Second I have no biased assumptions. I said go try a bunch of amps and see what you like...

And in the defense of my fellow posters:
We post to help people who may be in the same situation we once were. Most times our opinions arent biased but the result of experience. To imply that we dont play(or know how to play) our instruments is an ignorent statement on your part. You dont know us, how good(or bad) we are, what bands we play in or how long we have been playing. But if you wanna argue about this start a new thread instead of bashig on people in someone elses thread who asked for our opinions.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Please dont buy either. Save yourself lots of pain and regret. Just get a tube amp.
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
To the thread starter....are we seeing a trend?? (Buy tube, not digital or solid state)
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Quote by TheCalvinator

god.

Lmao. You fuckin n00b. You bitch and moan about people who are clearly very knowledgeable about guitar gear...then you suggest a Spider II.

And WE'RE the losers? HA.
Quote by Crimson_Eve
Its only the smart thing to do if he enjoys wasting time and money on an amp that simply wont deliver. Its a low end amp. Sure it delivers a few different tones....but none of them are great, or even good for the most part. And as far as cool effects... well they are limited and arent really able to be customized to fit a song. You almost have to fit the song around the effects.

Seriously...come on. If you are going to buy a cube, you might as well just stick with the tone you have now and wait for something better than "ok" But hey...if you wanna spend $400 now, just to start over when you realize it really isnt any good... go for it.

There are quite a few amps in that price range...and if you spend a little more you get into even better stuff. Do yourself a favor and take advantage of the over 50% off on the B-52's. Who wouldnt wanna buy a $1000 or a $1400 amp for half price???

The kid is looking at inexpensive SS modeling amps...why does everyone automatically go "g3t teh Ep1 VJ! Its @ll T0oB!" or say "they suck get an amp thats why over your head and way out of your price range"? Thats what youre saying - and its a horrible suggestion.

If hes looking into inexpensive SS amps with effects - why not get the best one in its class? Said amp would be the Cube or the Valvetronix.

/thread.
How is it a bad suggestion to not by an average amp that isnt going to improve his tone all that much when he can save up and buy something good? For what he plays, SS wont deliver. And I never said Buy a VJ. And the effects that come built into an amp blow in most cases....

But I do appreciate you telling the other guy off haha....I guess we just have different tastes in music though.

To the thread starter: I do hope you try everything out that you can, and make a good decision based on what actually sounds good, rather than having a bunch of effects that wont make you happy.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
OK SPiders really arent THAT bad. They do what they need for, you should tell us your type of music. The tone for the spider is good, its a great begginers amp for all those settings you dont have to dial in. In all honesty I'd go with the Spider. Go ahead..flame it
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
if he is trying to improve his tone and wants either an avt or line6, real tone isnt obviosuly an issue, dont settle with a low end tube amp thatll give you one tone, when you can sit in your room with tons of differnt sounds(not tones) thatll be more fun. so OUT OF THE TWO, try which one is better that you want, id suggest the marshall just its a marshall and would nothing looks cooler than jamming on a halfstack, but try the spder out too, theyre good for what they are
TONE is the most important thing, a guitarist can only be as good as his tone. Many will argue that it is the skill of the guitarist. But if Joe Satriani recorded Surfing With The Alien using a p.o.s. 15 watt fender practice amp and a old squier, people would say, wow, that guy has shitty ass tone, and that would be the end of his career.

go buy yourself a blues junior and a tube screamer, end of story
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
Quote by lisagabe
TONE is the most important thing, a guitarist can only be as good as his tone. Many will argue that it is the skill of the guitarist. But if Joe Satriani recorded Surfing With The Alien using a p.o.s. 15 watt fender practice amp and a old squier, people would say, wow, that guy has shitty ass tone, and that would be the end of his career.

go buy yourself a blues junior and a tube screamer, end of story

+1

Very very true. You can get some damn good tone with equipment that's not total crap (yes, even if it's low quality cheap stuff). But equipment really helps a lot.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Page 1 of 2