hey this is for a guitar that i'm redoing. It had a traditional fender-esque tremolo on it and i'm wanting to install a tune o matic. I've already filled in all the cavities and everything. My question is, is it possible to recess a tune o matic bridge to avoid having to incorporate a neck pocket angle? my idea was to drill a 3/8 inch hole for each stud, and then widening it with a 1/2 inch bit so that the studs sit recessed into the body, allowing the bridge to sit flush. Is this going to work? or should i just angle the neck pocket? thanks.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
Yep, that's the best alternative to angle(ing) a neck pocket. To be certain how deep you have recess it though, you should draw out the whole guitar full size to scale, including the dimensions of the bridge. Generally, though, you're going to have the recess the bridge more than you're hoping for. The actual bridge will have to sit in the body, although let me check for you.

I can tell you exactly how far you'd have to recess the bridge, but i'd need a few measurements. All I really need, actually, is how far the bridge sticks up from the body.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Feb 8, 2007,
ok the height from the bottom of the stud to the top of the low E string saddle is 1 3/8 inches, the bridge itself is about 5/16 inch, and the body is 1 1/2 inches thick. The bridge is, from end to end, 8 1/4 inches.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
is the guitar a bolt on neck? if so, it wouldn't be too hard to angle the neck if recessing the bridge doesn't work out.
Yes, it is bolt on. I figured i would just fill the bolt holes with wood putty, sand it down to an angle, and then drill new holes.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
Quote by TheChallenged
ok the height from the bottom of the stud to the top of the low E string saddle is 1 3/8 inches, the bridge itself is about 5/16 inch, and the body is 1 1/2 inches thick. The bridge is, from end to end, 8 1/4 inches.

Ooops! I meant how far the neck sticks up from the body. Sorry about that dude.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
oh its cool. The neck sticks up about 3/8 of an inch
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212
You'll need to route the cavity for the bridge about 1/8" - 3/16" deep. That is, if your neck is perfectly parallel to the body, and it depends on the bridge specs. You won't get away with over drilling the holes though, the bridge will just bottom out and you'll have insanely high action.

Chris
alright cool. thanks a lot man i really appreciate it.
Jackson DK2M White
Mesa Dual Rec(2 channel)
Carvin V212