I heard about something called a splitter box but I'm not sure what it does. I was just wondering if you could use multiple heads because I've seen bands with maybe 6 cabinets but I never knew how to do that through one head.
well yeah you can do it
but when you see people with like a wall of full stacks only like one or two of them are ever used
the rest are like dummy's/ies ?
beause you wouldnt use them, its just for effect and image, youd mic the amp up
Most pros are A/Bing 2 amps for clean and distortion. The box will cost you like 10 bucks at radio shack.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
By A/Bing you mean that one amp is for clean and the other distortion? If that is in fact the case what size amps are they using to be able to keep up with the drums?
that is a SWEET ****ing rig right there. what are you using the gnx4 for though, loops? maxcom ftw!
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by Pizzapotamus
that is a SWEET ****ing rig right there. what are you using the gnx4 for though, loops? maxcom ftw!

Thanks man. silent practice, tuner, and to switch channels and functions of my amps and the fx thru midi. The Framus has a midi interface built in, and the G-Major has 1/4" switching jack for the Mark IV.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Thanks man. silent practice, tuner, and to switch channels and functions of my amps and the fx thru midi. The Framus has a midi interface built in, and the G-Major has 1/4" switching jack for the Mark IV.

yeah i'll buy that. tc >>>> digitech. only thing i'd change about that rig is the wah. CFH is the 2nd best wah in my book. WD7 is more my style. spring ftw.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by Erock503
You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now...

But anyway, I've seen a bunch of people with rig pics like those; how did you make that?
you would need either a stereo cab, or a switchbox for tube heads like the one Radial Tonebone makes. In order to safely switch tube heads using one cab, the head not being used still needs to see an impedance load.

Quote by De Amazing Blob
You have no idea how jealous I am of you right now...

But anyway, I've seen a bunch of people with rig pics like those; how did you make that?

thanks man.
I used some pics from guitargeek, and made my own with paintbrush if I couldn't find them. I think most of the pics I made besides the Recto 4x12. this is the one that looks like guitargeek.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 9, 2007,
I am looking to use a BV120 for cleans and a 5150 for gain. Both tubes. I have a mesa dual rect 412 cab.

Impedance load? Not sure what that is. I don't know much about amps for the most part. Anyone care to explain?
with most tube heads, they have a selector switch for impedance load, and you match that with whatever impedance cab you are using. When you look at cabs, they will have a wattage rating, and an impedance rating, depending on whether you are running it in stereo or mono. The jacks will be labeled with the correct impedance. A tube head needs to see this load, otherwise it can fry the output transformer. That's why you never operate a tube head without a speaker cab hooked up to it.
amp clips
amp vids
Oh ok. Yeah I have it plugged in the right one lol. Also, I am probably not switching from cleans to gain in song. Is my best bet to just have all my cords hooked up and switch out the cord going into the cab and amp between songs or is there something else I can do?
you could do it that way, or since the Recto 4x12 is a stereo cab, you could keep both heads connected to it, and then use an A/B/Y box like the Tripler I'm using. The only drawback is, each head will only be using half the 4x12. The Radial Tonebone switcher is a nice unit, it has a bunch of extras like an fx loop and stuff, but it's a pricey unit. That would be the ideal solution to use 2 tube heads with one cab however.
amp clips
amp vids
Do you think a 2x12 would be loud enough to cut through with my drummer playing? We do smash the shit out of my set I must say.
IME, even half a recto 4x12 will still easily get you over drums. I've played with a metal drummer using the Mark IV and a recto 2x12, and I could actually drown him out if I cranked it too much. It's only a 3dB difference using a 2x12 compared to a 4x12, it's mostly about projection as long as it's a quality cab.
amp clips
amp vids
Initially, I thought the thread starter was talking about running multiple heads together, not separately...
Well that's one helluva massive rig there.

Some A/B/Y boxes allow you to select both A and B simultaneously, buy one of those.

Wooooogie, imagine running an amp on distortion and another on clean at the same time.
Wow.