how do i learn to stop anchoring my pinky? how did you guys do it?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
why do u wanna stop? whats wrong

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Quote by Schecter4lyfe
why do u wanna stop? whats wrong

yea i anchor my pinky sometimes when playing solos man. when I'm playing chords no.
Quote by soda18
yea i anchor my pinky sometimes when playing solos man. when I'm playing chords no.

yeah its actualy good , it gives u alot of freedom when soloing.

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
i thought not anchoring the pinky gave you more freedom, possible speed. i dont see it done often among professional guitarists, but i havent really looked either. will someone explain who knows what they are talking about?
It hinders speed. You could be so much faster if you don't anchor, because, there is less stress.
Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Quote by KerryHammett
It hinders speed. You could be so much faster if you don't anchor, because, there is less stress.

exactly. so will someone teach me how to de-anchor my pinky?
Well, its not like there is some exercise to not put your finger there. Just correct yourself everytime you notice, kinda like you would with biting fingernails etc.
Find an un-anchored way of picking, but, make sure it's comfortable. Just keep playing what you usually do. Before you know it, you'll be doing it without even thinking about it.

Crappy Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez RG7321
LTD F-10
VOX AD15VT
Dunlop Jazz III's (Black)
D'Addarrio .09-.46's
Quote by Schecter4lyfe
yeah its actualy good , it gives u alot of freedom when soloing.

I guess my guitar teacher that is way more knowledgeable than you will ever be is wrong then because he said that anchoring will slow you down later on when you want to play fast.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
I guess my guitar teacher that is way more knowledgeable than you will ever be is wrong then because he said that anchoring will slow you down later on when you want to play fast.

well I gusse If you shred then yea. but what about when you gotta change from playing chords to a quick fill? songs like under the bridge and little wing make it easier to anchor then if it's floating. you have a better chance of not hitting other strings. practice both. But if your going to play fast parts.. keep the pinky off and attack at an angle.
It is pure physiological fact that anchoring causes more tension then floating, limiting your potential.

Once you get used to floating, you will find it easier.
Quote by Vanquish

Thats depend of how fast you wanna go, i anchor and i can play up to 13nps (which is quite fast for me) on a single string, and i know that i can go faster if i practice more but i don't think i would like to go to 16nps or higher. I just don't think i will need it.

But if you wanna play extremely fast and seeing that most faster guitarist (Steve vai, satriani, shawn lane, malmsteen) play unanchored, i think thats the way to go.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i can do both and i anchored at first, but for me it just simple thinking. a moving object will slow down if there's more resistance to it's movement(the anchoring for example) if you swipe your hand over a desk it won't go as fast if you do the same movement in mid air. that's why i don't anchor. just do it alot, and try to relax as much as you can it'll work out eventually. i think it took me 2-3 weeks to get it off completely.

^also it's not just the slowing down, it also creates tension wich is bad for your wrists fingers and arms. your pretty much cutting of options for yourself, petrucci anchors as well and is a pro. but hey, he goes up to 14 notes a second and that's it. thing is the pro's don't get to play 8 hours or more a day and get the chance to destroy their body's . so you can anchor, you just can't play so much cause your body has to recover from the constant tension.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Feb 9, 2007,
I was watching a G3 DVD the other day - JS and SV both had their pinkies down for long stretches (depending wht they were doing). If you've got a fixed bridge, you could rest your hand on that, but get used to not using your neck pickup fully. If you're using a trem, though, there's only one place to anchor....
Quote by 812many
how do i learn to stop anchoring my pinky? how did you guys do it?

if you want to learn without anchoring, grow your pinky nail long, it will make anchoring it awkward. and you will find yourself not wanting to place it on the body.