Page 1 of 2
I was at the mastodon concert last night with converge and priestess. It was a killer show, but Brent blew up not one, but two of his amp heads! I remembered that i read in guitar world that he had a pedal called the mastortion and that it would blow up his amp heads every once in a while. Never thought i would actually see it happen even once, but twice is a different story. Long story short, why does this happen? Is it because the wattage is too much for the amp? Thanks.
I remember that article, it might be the same principle that if you overload a cheap cab with a really powerful head (To much volume/gain), it blows the speakers. So the same thing would happen in the pedal would be powerful enough to overload the head. That would be one hell of a pedal!

PS.
I'm really jealous that you got to go to that concert, to bad it won't come to Vancouver.
How was Priestess?

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Yeah, I heard Preistess is a pretty damn good band. I missed them when they opened for the Motorhead in Halifax.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Yeah, I heard Preistess is a pretty damn good band. I missed them when they opened for the Motorhead in Halifax.

Easily the best Stoner Rock band of the 2000's.

I really like Priestess
Daaaamn. I miss Motorhead, Damn 13 AND the best stoner rock band of the 2000's?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Schematics around? I wanna blow up some of my friends amps... Just kidding, never would do that, but it would be very cool to see what its doing in there.
I'd guess it is intentional, and that M-80s are placed in the power stage to blow up when he makes too many mistakes while playing his extremely realistic Guitar Hero II controller he uses onstage.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Easily the best Stoner Rock band of the 2000's.

I really like Priestess

What about High on Fire! Or Fu Manchu is still around! Nebula! Unida! C'mon!

Nah man good band though.
Priestess was pretty good, I had only heard some of their stuff but they tore it up live. The drummer did a 20 min drum solo which afterwards I thought that his arms were going to fall off. I now wish I knew their stuff better before I saw them. :/
Well, I'd guess he'd do it on purpose; I'd do it if I had a shitty amp lying around and I knew how What amps was he using?
municiple waste is best
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
he definitely didnt do it on purpose because he was pissed afterward and the band was really apologetic.
Hmm, well, I can't think why, but this brings a semi-related thing I read in Guitar World a few days ago to mind; they had an article on Van Halen, and they said he used a Variac to take the voltage down to 89 volts so he didn't blow up his amp when he cranked it. Maybe there was bad power or something? I don't know if that's even related, but what amps were they using?
you can boost power to an amp. or if it is an unstable amp you dont even need to do that

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
the reason Brent keeps killing amps is because of the pedal he uses. Its called Mastortion and its probably the gnarliest pedal a human being can put their hands on. He has to tape the controls to a certain setting because if they move the slightest bit, itll overload the amp-head. no amp has made it past 4 drive
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Quote by GreenPhantom
the reason Brent keeps killing amps is because of the pedal he uses. Its called Mastortion and its probably the gnarliest pedal a human being can put their hands on. He has to tape the controls to a certain setting because if they move the slightest bit, itll overload the amp-head. no amp has made it past 4 drive

That's so ****ing br00tal/metal.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
maybe he doesn't know how to match his speaker impedance with his amp head lol(IE - 4ohm speakers to an 8ohm head)
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
I can't really see a pedal taking out an amp head to be honest...
I'd guess a stunt.
I'd have to say I dunno for sure though.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
the only thing i can think of is if you hooked an amp up in series with another amp, then maybe it would have the gain to break something, but that pedal doesn't look like it does that, its more likely crappy power or some weird amp mod they've had done that makes the balance so fragile.
you can run most amps at 10 with no problems, and if they're marshalls i can't imagine them breaking just because they're cranked.
What a pile of bullshit.

If a pedal blows up an amp it is because the amp is in piss poor condition (you'd be amazed at the astonishing piles of crap that are presently touring our nation) or the "pedal" is simply incompetent. You can drive the input of any healthy amp with all the signal you want without harm if you know what you're doing. If somebody manages to build a defective pedal that is nothing to brag about.

Ron
Quote by Ronsonic
What a pile of bullshit.

If a pedal blows up an amp it is because the amp is in piss poor condition (you'd be amazed at the astonishing piles of crap that are presently touring our nation) or the "pedal" is simply incompetent. You can drive the input of any healthy amp with all the signal you want without harm if you know what you're doing. If somebody manages to build a defective pedal that is nothing to brag about.

Ron

all the signal i want eh?

ok then, go plug a 100w marshal into the speaker out of another 100w marshal

i'd bet my left nut that it breaks both amps

although, all of that sounded fantastic before you started saying technical stuff, you may have a career in bullshitting....
well, it doesnt make sense to have it as a stunt, because it wasnt like it had fireworks or explosives in it when it blew. it just made a low buzzing sound. its possible that the amp was beat up or whatever, but whoever thinks he did it on purpose cant be right.
Quote by sempri_fi
all the signal i want eh?

ok then, go plug a 100w marshal into the speaker out of another 100w marshal

i'd bet my left nut that it breaks both amps

although, all of that sounded fantastic before you started saying technical stuff, you may have a career in bullshitting....

Read it again. You'll notice the word "incompetent" and the phrase "if you know what you're doing." What you propose is the latter and shows none of the former.

And that was "all the signal you want," why on earth would you want to hit an amp with 30 volts RMS? "Want" not "can." Okay, so maybe you "want" to do that. Sorry, I assumed people were trying to sound good, not ruin their gear while sucking mightily.

No competent pedal is going to blow up an amp. I'll stand by that. Sorta because it's self defining isn't it.
honestly, that distortion does not sound that brutal, my guess is that the reason for expolding is poor care while being transported on tour, a similar thing happened to Corey's rig when i saw Trivium a few months ago.

-Axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
hmmm could be the amp over heating, my pa will catch piece of paper on fire if u hold it to the back

Quote by LightningRider

Quote by Will_Minus

Quote by carousel182
Quote by t heff
hmmm could be the amp over heating, my pa will catch piece of paper on fire if u hold it to the back

That's really not a good thing you know...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^ yeah, not one bit.

it woudl be a pretty cool stage effect though.

"hey guys! check this out! When *drummers name* farts into the mic, his fart is so hot it burns paper!"
"*drummer proceeds to fart* *paper burns*

on another note, I really dont' know how they blow up amps. Maybe that pedal just gives a huge ass decible boost and overpowers what the amp was rated for.
i'm saying mismatched "ohmage" as the guy a few posts above stated...you can fry an amp pretty easily doing that...someone might of just plugged the cab into the wrong speaker output....with amps i believe you can go higher without causing damage but not lower...i could be wrong though...there was that one time....
the amp killed itself rather than suffer mastodon

why blow up your amps on stage? your meant to play on stage not destroy the equipment that allows you to play.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Page 1 of 2