Page 1 of 2
I know they all comunists and what not, but RATM is a punk band, There new stuff is pretty good, anyone else like them?
When they say jump, you say how high.
Know your enemy.
Quote by Its adam
I know they all comunists and what not, but RATM is a punk band, There new stuff is pretty good, anyone else like them?

they're not punk
1) they are not punk
2) they are not commies
3) your a n00b
4)dont make dumb threads, use the search bar
5) new stuff? tehy've been disbanded for like 7 years
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Morello is more of a Marxist than a communist, and I assume the rest of the band were close to Morello's ideologies. Calling then all communists is wrong, dead wrong.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Its adam

You're an idiot.
They burn the american flag at there concerts.. what would you call them?
When they say jump, you say how high.
Know your enemy.
How would burning a flag make you punk?
EDIT: or a communist
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Feb 8, 2007,
they dont do anything anymore becasue they are no longer a 'band' although a reunion is in the works!
and that doesnt make them commies, jsut because they despise the american system of government(with good reason) doesnt equal communism, they support the masses, which communism takes all power away from
yea i may be wrong, thats what i remeber from history class......
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
RATM were part of the rap-fueled heavy metal movement that started in the early 1990s and carried on through the early 2000s. Modern rock, please.
no
they are great, they are not commies, nor are they punk, and they havent released an album(not including live at the grand olympic) since 2000, and that album was primarily covers
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by Its adam
They burn the american flag at there concerts.. what would you call them?

I would call them patriotic.

.......as for being punk, they are not. They do have punk influences (minor threat, sex pistols, etc.), and Zach de la Rocha was in a hardcore punk band, but they are not punk.
RATM is getting back together. At least for Coachella. But there are rumours they'll be staying together as a band afterwards.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by Will_Minus
Morello is more of a Marxist than a communist, and I assume the rest of the band were close to Morello's ideologies. Calling then all communists is wrong, dead wrong.

wow...marx was the creator of communism, and calling someone a marxist is pretty much summing up that they are a strict follower of communism.

and they i did like their mc5 cover on that one cd...um...i know the song was kick out the jams...it was better than the henry rollins/bad brains one at least.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Last edited by mike2 at Feb 8, 2007,
Quote by mike2
wow...marx was the creator of communism, and calling someone a marxist is pretty much summing up that they are a strict follower of communism.

and they i did like their mc5 cover on that one cd...um...i know the song was kick out the jams...it was better than the henry rollins/bad brains one at least.

Actually, Marx was the creator of Marxism, which soon branched to communism.

Like everyone said they arent communists, they arent punk, but I do love them
that is why marx wrote the communist manifesto...dumb ass. he created communism. modern day communism is such a bastardized form of the layout that marx and fredrich engels wrote about that people nowadays seperate someone who strictly follows communist doctrine a marxist, such as lenin, against someone who has adapted communism into modern day forms, such as stalin, and pretty much every communist country. get it?
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

I ****ing hate rage against the machine. they're a bunch of ****s.

If tom morello is such a great moral fibre of society, why does he use expensive guitars rather than buying cheap shitty things (hell, they'd actually IMPROVE his shitty tone) and give the difference to the poor?

It's because the guy is a ****. **** Tom Morello and **** Rage against the machine.

That said, ratm are infinitely better than audioslave, who are ****s+.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by BrianApocalypse

If tom morello is such a great moral fibre of society, why does he use expensive guitars rather than buying cheap shitty things (hell, they'd actually IMPROVE his shitty tone) and give the difference to the poor?

It's because the guy is a ****. **** Tom Morello and **** Rage against the machine.

You took the words right outta my mouth.

If they were so commited to fighting the system, why did they split up and form a shitty rock band?
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Its adam

Everything you said here is wrong.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

If he played shitty guitars, he would have sounded like shit, never have gotten famous, and never have had the MILLIONS of dollars he gives to the poor instead. Dumbass.

That's like saying "why spend all this money of a hospital when you can spend half the money, build something half the size, and save half the people?"
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Last edited by TehNez at Feb 9, 2007,
Threadstarter,

You probably would have gotten a better response had you mentioned the pre-Rage band, Inside Out.

Of course, I might have come along and mentioned that they played crappy hardcore and that Zach de la Rocha sold out his ideals by being on a major label.

But other people might have been nicer.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by timmEH
1) they are not punk
2) they are not commies
3) your a n00b

exactly.

'nuff said
Quote by timmEH
1) they are not punk
2) they are not commies
3) your a n00b

Ditto.

I like RATM though.
Quote by hardrock1315
Ditto.

I like RATM though.

same here
Quote by TehNez
If he played shitty guitars, he would have sounded like shit, never have gotten famous, and never have had the MILLIONS of dollars he gives to the poor instead. Dumbass.

That's like saying "why spend all this money of a hospital when you can spend half the money, build something half the size, and save half the people?"

Didn't tom did play a bunch of cheap/maybe shitty guitars? I'm pretty sure that he used to play a Mexican tele and some some Chinese copy although I don't know what he plays now.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by yeahyeah
same here, and I think that tom did play a bunch of cheap guitars. I'm pretty sure that he used to play a Mexican tele and some some Chinese copy but I don't know what he plays now though.

I'm pretty sure he played an ES-335 and a bunch of Ibanez's.
Quote by hardrock1315
I'm pretty sure he played an ES-335 and a bunch of Ibanez's.

Yeah, I think he played the guitars I mentioned early on though
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Tom played a selection of pawn shop/"cheap" guitars to record all of RATM's albums - Calm Like a Bomb off of Battle of Los Angeles was made with a brandless pawn shop guitar from Canada.

And it is really stupid to say that RATM sold out their ideals by being on a major label. Their goal was to reach an audience and raise awareness as well as money for their causes. Try doing that on some shitty indie label that only has local or at best national circulation. Before the huge dominance of the internet. They never sold out, never changed their ideals. They played benefit concerts, donated money to charity organisations and NGOs, and more than anything, spread their message to everyone that bought their records. RATM were the first band to break me into the radical left politics, which led to me discovering Dead Kennedys, D.O.A., and all the bands I love today. They wanted to make a difference, and they did.
no
I remember seeing on Tv that they once just came onstage like naked with something painted on their chest and played feedback for like 15 minutes or something dumb like that. And commenting on it Lemmy (from Motorhead) said something awesome like "I would have thrown rocks at them". Boy do I hate them...
Quote by Manos15
I remember seeing on Tv that they once just came onstage like naked with something painted on their chest and played feedback for like 15 minutes or something dumb like that. And commenting on it Lemmy (from Motorhead) said something awesome like "I would have thrown rocks at them". Boy do I hate them...

that was on VH1 I think

I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long...
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by yeahyeah
same here

Didn't tom did play a bunch of cheap/maybe shitty guitars? I'm pretty sure that he used to play a Mexican tele and some some Chinese copy although I don't know what he plays now.

Yes. Most of his guitars are knockoffs that he got at pawn shops in Canada. He's got a few more expensive guitars, but most of those were given to him for free.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch

He DOES sound like shit. Tom Morello's guitar tone is so oversaturated with cool and awesome effects you wouldn't notice if he played a guitar made out of a box with rubber bands for strings.

Uh... no it isn't.

It's like saying "Let's spend all of this money to buy a new pool table for the hospital staff instead of getting a new dialysis machine for the sick kid."

You're thinking that I suggested Tom Morello buy a cheap guitar, and then give half the money that he would if he bought an expensive guitar.

You are a complete arse****.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
He DOES sound like shit. Tom Morello's guitar tone is so oversaturated with cool and awesome effects you wouldn't notice if he played a guitar made out of a box with rubber bands for strings.

Uh... no it isn't.

It's like saying "Let's spend all of this money to buy a new pool table for the hospital staff instead of getting a new dialysis machine for the sick kid."

You're thinking that I suggested Tom Morello buy a cheap guitar, and then give half the money that he would if he bought an expensive guitar.

You are a complete arse****.

Way to state an opinion as fact, dipshit.

If you weren't ****ing retarded you would see how my analogy works. The fact that you don't tells me your stupidity doesn't even deserve a response.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
here is the dealieo....deal...deal...e...oh....

here is the deal, signing to a major record label is bullshit, not only doing that, but for the stupid reason that your message will go out to a larger audience for the reason to educate them or some stupid ass reason.l

The truth is that their message is not getting out. most people think along these lines

"Oh, i like how the music sounds, but i really don't listen to the lyrics. They maybe along the lines of a communist ideal, but i really don't care! i like how they sound."

When in actuallity, if they were communist the name of the damn band wouldn't be rage against the machine, because communism is actually a bigger machine to balance out the classes in the country. that is the basic of communism.

The first post is a great example of how someone can listen to them, like them, but be so oblivious to what their message is.

Quote by Its adam

so it is really really really really obvious that they did it for money, and all bands who preach about spreading their damn word did it for ****ing money. anti-flag and rise against respectively.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by TehNez
Way to state an opinion as fact, dipshit.

If you weren't ****ing retarded you would see how my analogy works. The fact that you don't tells me your stupidity doesn't even deserve a response.

my bad... you should probably learn to write in a less confusing style though.

still, go **** yourself. Or even better, Tom Morello.
Page 1 of 2