Okay,Ive been practicing sweep picking and alot of faster advanced lead techniques. Been getting them down good and at Great speed,1 problem,SLOPPYness. Ive been trying to clean it up so other strings dont ring out as much but thats when I read in a magazine article featuring Jon Petrucci that he used to use a Wrist band or sock over the First fret to mute the strings so he didnt have to. So I tried it and it works like a dream,im doing sweep runs and fast based lead licks that sound amazing...but I feel guility when im doing it,almost as if im cheating by having this on. But I figured,hey,if Jon does it,why cant it? I checked into it and learned alot of other big Guitar players have done it,but it brings me back,Is it CHeating or No? And if it is,what are some good ways to clean up my playing? And also,does anyone else use this little trick?

I wouldn't consider it cheating, but if your technique is bad enough that you need a sock to play cleanly, you should just work on your technique, because having a sock in the first fret limits what you're able to do.
you should practice cleaning it up without, and play life with it if you want. i dont think its cheating really, but its not exremely impressive if your trying to show off,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
i do it once in awhile... but not so much anymore... work on playing clean rather than first... then work on speed once you're playing it cleanly
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
i say if it sounds good n works who cares... n if the pros are doing it then why would it matter if someone else did it
"You can't be something you're not..." -Pantera

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

In soviet Russia, The LULZ do it for you
I think its a little bit of cheating, because you can get clean with practice if you take the time.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I wouldn't call it cheating; but I would say it limits your potential by allowing you to learn sloppiness. In the studio, I might use one, because you do whatever you need to do. Live however, it wouldn't feel right.
Quote by tweeres04
I wouldn't consider it cheating, but if your technique is bad enough that you need a sock to play cleanly, you should just work on your technique, because having a sock in the first fret limits what you're able to do.
I have to agree with that..

Actually, I'd just use the old sweep picking muting method... You remove your fingers off the strings after picking them... that should be enough for muting them if you do it correctly... if you don't do it correctly, practice because, well I don't consider it cheating for you can't cheat on guitar, you can do whatever you want... but it's lame
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Like everything on guitar, if you put enough time into it you can do it. For some it takes longer than others. But the best way to do it is the right way, which puts the least limitations on yourself. You get there by paying your dues (like I said, alot of practice time), and then you feel more accomplished and better about your playing. If you take a shortcut, where does it get you to faster? More shortcuts.

I couldn't use a sock if I wanted to anyway, seeing as how the sweeps and tapping parts I play are small solos and fills. Like someone said though, I'll probably be using a sock in the studio. It has to be flawless, and the sock will ensure less takes.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Feb 9, 2007,
If you start doing this now , after a while you will NOT be able to play without the dampener.Its cheating to play like this all the time.
I use my homemade dampener when im recording leads etc to make the sound cleaner, but when playing gigs or practicng its better to play without it.

Oh and its very good to practice sweep and tapping (not always) with a massive distortion because like this you will put in more effort to make it sound good.

Just practice hard and youl get there.
You can't really cheat with music.

But remember, there are no shortcuts when learning an instrument.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You know, they can be used for different purposes. It is definitely useful for muting the other side of the string when you tap. Victor Wooten uses them for this purpose, I know. And if you're going to be the next Stanley Jordan or something, they would pretty much be necessary.

But if you're just using it for sweeping, I say drop it. It looks way cooler to reach over with your picking hand to mute the strings
For recording/studio purposes....nope not at all considering even the pro's do this in the studio to get the cleanest sound possible(especially when for bands that use tons of heavy distortion)

Playing like that live....cheating in my mind. You should be able to play it clean enough to play live without sounding extremely sloppy. The sock trick is not supposed to be a "hide my sloppy playing" trick. It's to make sure you get the cleanest sound possible without any unwanted feeback or distortion during the recording process, since with high gain sometimes things just ring out in strange places.

Bottom line, pros use it in the studio and thats where it should stay.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Quote by SinisterLefty
For recording/studio purposes....nope not at all considering even the pro's do this in the studio to get the cleanest sound possible(especially when for bands that use tons of heavy distortion)

Playing like that live....cheating in my mind. You should be able to play it clean enough to play live without sounding extremely sloppy. The sock trick is not supposed to be a "hide my sloppy playing" trick. It's to make sure you get the cleanest sound possible without any unwanted feeback or distortion during the recording process, since with high gain sometimes things just ring out in strange places.

Bottom line, pros use it in the studio and thats where it should stay.

+100

It's not cheating per se, but it's going to hold you back in the long run. But it is a useful trick for recording.
No, not at all

always practice in the situation where your mistakes are most evident. That way you can correct them before you learn the wrong way.
It's a handy trick if say, you wanted to record a sweep solo but you hadn't got your technique down properly at that time. But you can't really use it live can you?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay