Okay, so how many of you do not play with a pick? I do not, I think it is started because i tought myself, and since most of the time I couldn't find a pick, so i play without one. What's wrong with it? I can play just perfectly, and don't say anything about sweeping, because I can do that quite easily now. Also i can do pinched harmonics without a pick, I dunno I found some strange technique. So if i can do so these things then is there really a problem?
There's no problem at all. If you can play what you want to play then that's all that matters.

Also, playing with your fingers sets you apart from the crowd abit. Which is always nice.

I use my fingers sometimes when playing more mellow licks or knocking out a rendition of Sultans of Swing or something, but the majority of the time I use my plectrum Love attacking the guitar with it.

Oh yeah, I think sweeping is alot easier if you're just sweeping down the string using your thumb
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^i don't use my thumb, make the same shape as i would if I was holding a pick and play. so im hitting the string with my index finger. but thanx for the comment.

this was for the guy two posts above.
yay! i do that too, i find picks tend to slow me down.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by snowblind190
^i don't use my thumb, make the same shape as i would if I was holding a pick and play. so im hitting the string with my index finger. but thanx for the comment.

this was for the guy two posts above.

Oh, I thought you meant you fingerpick. But thats a whole different story.

And yeah, I do that same thing all the time because I lose my picks, but definitely not exclusively. It seems like there wouldnt be any point, except to be different.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
i use picks for almost everything, but for more mellow songs like stairway i do fingerpicking

sometimes i also use some kind of pick that wrap around your thumb, its good for strumming i find
It depends on what i'm playing, but most of the time I play without a pick. I just use my fingers really, and it gives me the tone i'm looking for especially with rhythm work. Most of the time for lead i'll use a pick though.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I'm moving into just finger style. The old blues players and some guys from the 60's + 70's inspired me. I just find it more intimate with the instrument as well. Just you and the guitar. It also feels like each of my guitars has more personality to it now.
I fingerpick a lot -- but I NEVER put my hand in the shape of a pick, that kinda defeats the purpose -- mainly because when I first learned House of the Rising Sun, my picking wasn't strong enough to handle the arpeggio, so I used one finger on each string for each chord.