I have a few questions. I've been playing for three years... I can pick out the scale of most songs and improvise to it, etc. I know a good amount of theory, including note positions... Whatever... I can play. Heh. But, I need some clearing up. Obviously, since this is the acoustic guitar forum, I prefer acoustic.

First question:

I've seen several ways to hold the pick... But, I've never seen a pick in someone's hand the way I use it. I hold it with my thumb (obviously), pointer finger, and middle finger. It seems like you are supposed to only hold the pick between your pointer finger and thumb. My dad's guitar guru friend showed me how he did it. For strumming he just placed it between the thumb and pointer... For "pickin" he set the pick flat on the side of his pointer and pushed down on the other side with his thumb and rested his palm on the bridge... I've seen this before, sometimes with the pinky and ring finger planted on the body. I've tried all of this, but before I completely disallow my fingers to return to that old comfortable position... What do you guys think?

Second question:

Sometimes if I play too hard the strings buzz... Like when I'm getting into it... But, other times if I am playing less hard they don't really buzz. Is it bad technique, the guitar, or don't play so hard?

Third:

Heavy strings. I put D'Addario EJ17's on my acoustic and it was too heavy for it, so my dad's guitar guru friend messed with my truss rod. Afterwards, my fingers pretty much melted to the fretboard. It was nice. They no longer jumped out of tune, right? Well, I put some more on it and it seems like they are jumping out of tune again. Any ideas?

Anything would be appreciated. =/
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
Ok, first answer: Big rule of thumb with anything guitar- you can't argue with success. It doesn't really matter how you hold your pick, as long as it works for you.

Second answer: There is nothing wrong with the strings buzzing if you are really playing hard. Like hard strumming. But if the strings buzz when you're playing easy, like a jazz solo or something, you have one of four problems-

1: Your strings are too light. Light strings will sometimes buzz because they are too flexible.
2: Your action is too low. Since we're talking about acoustic, you can try removing the saddle and placing some kind of shim under it to raise the string height.
3: The truss rod is misaligned. If this is the case, do not try to fix it yourself. It is very easy to mess up a truss rod. Take it to a professional.
4: There is a problem with your frets. Say you have a buzz at the seventh fret. That either means that that fret is lower than the ones around it, or the next fret up (in this case, the eighth) is higher. Again, take this problem to a pro, who may replace the offending fret, or level them so they are all even.

Third answer: It sounds like your strings are not stretched in. Strings may take a little playing in before they stop stretching and stay in tune.

Wow, that was a long post, but I hope it helped.
Thank you. On the pick thing... It works for me... But, sometimes when I get into it my middle finger starts to hit the strings and hurts after awhile. That's what made me originally start wanting to change my picking style.
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

^ lol
Well I guess if you put it that way, if it hurts don't do it. Pain is your body's way of telling you you're doing something wrong. You will be able to change your style, but it will take a long time and alot of work as you've been playing like that for three years, and old habits die hard.

Good luck!
eddie van halen holds his pick like that, little unorthodox but whatever your comfortable with