NO he is correct they are garbage most EMGs bar the SAs and the 60 are garbage. Basically the 707 is an 81 in 7 string version imagine a 81s cleans that is the 707s cleans
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
NO he is correct they are garbage most EMGs bar the SAs and the 60 are garbage. Basically the 707 is an 81 in 7 string version imagine a 81s cleans that is the 707s cleans

Oh... that is pretty bad.
Quote by Eric 666
They're pretty nice, and you...above me.....STFU!

Why?
Because you are offended by my opinion?

Fine, I'll support my opinion, only reinforcing it to a fact.
You get extremely flat, extermely muddy, and on the whole lifeless...

Of course, most seven string pickups will have horrible cleans, considering no real "clean" artists are playing seven strings...

but the best would either be a custom shop SD based off a Pearly gates, jazz, or maybe a '59, or possibly the Dimarzio's that Vai uses in his universe (wanna say EVOs but I don't think they are.. and I'm to compellled by my introverted brooding to take the time to research it to convince someone who loves EMG cleans)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I was kidding...I've played a C7 Hellraiser and I gotta tell ya....I might as well been playing a 1 channel amp with distortion only...because that thing was...how shoudl I put it....too bassy, sonded ok, but not exactly the best around.
^ your kidding me a seven string bassy No SH1T. Someone needs to give you an award.

You clearly dont know what your talking about. and your a hypocrit first you said they were great now you say theyre horrible. Just shut up your not helping anything
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
The UV has Dimarzio Blaze pups. Just fyi.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
I think all the kids need to quit fighting, all this guy wanted was an answer, not an argument.

To threadstarter: Exactly the same, if not worse, than an EMG 81.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I have 2 707's on my C-7 Hellraiser. The neck pup sounds pretty awful for cleans. However, the bridge pup sounds amazing for cleans. I have to admit, I was actually surprised how well it sounded.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Personally I like the cleans that my guitar teacher's strat with EMG 81s give. It may not be prestine cleans like most passive pickups but I like it. The people here who say that EMGs cannot do clean stuff has either not tried them out or has not adjusted the EQ settings on their amp. With a good amp and the right settings EMGs can do clean fine.
Rudy da Costa
Last edited by rudy_dacosta at Feb 9, 2007,
Quote by Syn Harvest

the 707 is based on the 85, the 81-7 is based on the 81. I also think the 89 has as good a clean as the SA. It "is" an SA single coil when it's split. It's supposed to sound like an 85 when humbucking. I have a clip of my neck 89, doing both the cleans and lead in humbucker mode on a pod, and it should be close to an 85. It's not great cleans, but I don't think it's garbage. The 707 cleans can sound decent if you EQ correctly, at least better than the 81 IMO. It wouldn't be my first choice for cleans, but they are certainly servicable for a 7 string.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Feb 9, 2007,
By the way, 7 string guitars were used mainly by jazz players before rockers got their hands on them, so clearly with the right set up they can have wonderful cleans.

I emailed back and forth with Jim Soloway (Soloway guitars) for his opinion and his fave pickup is the Dimarzio PAF7 in the neck. I have to agree. Add a D-sonic7 at the bridge and you have a very versatile set up.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.

The 707 on the neck position sounds very nice clean. If its too close to the strings though, it will sound like shit. Lower it pretty low, but not too low. Think of a passive neck pickup. Maybe a tad lower. I have those pups on my 7 stringer, and if you want audio clips i can post em later today.

However, dont expect to get the same tone i have. Im using a Randall full stack and know how to use my EQ for cleans, they are totally diffrent than what you'd imagine.
Quote by Mudder
By the way, 7 string guitars were used mainly by jazz players before rockers got their hands on them, so clearly with the right set up they can have wonderful cleans.

I emailed back and forth with Jim Soloway (Soloway guitars) for his opinion and his fave pickup is the Dimarzio PAF7 in the neck. I have to agree. Add a D-sonic7 at the bridge and you have a very versatile set up.

Yeah. As a matter of fact, Matt Belamy's 7-string was originally a jazz guitar, neck p'up only, mad for a jazz musician.

So you are getting the RC7 after all. It kind of annoys me when people make "what guitar" threads, and they're pretty much set on what they're getting. Assuming this is the case (so it seems).
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
through a decent amp and with a little eq tweaking they're great
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon