First of all im not quite sure what a sound card does. Can anyone explain? secondly I'm pretty sure I'd like to get a better one for my computer, or a different one.

I want one that is good for my musical needs, like recording / listening to me play at the same time. This is possible right? if not then just good for recording.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 if that helps.
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
A sound card is basically a processor, just like your main CPU, but it's dedicated so processing sound, so that your CPU can focus on more important things.

I'm not sure if it will help out your recording much if you get a sound card, I used to have a smoking sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum) on my old PC, but now my new laptop has just a standard one built in, and I haven't really noticed a recording difference. The only thing was that the Audigy 2 ZS had a front panel which was pretty convenient.

Anyway, I think sound cards are built mostly for gaming. Not positive though.
yes but i have a direct sound card. which doesnt let me record and playback at the same time. I was reading stuff and it said that ASIO is good for that. but im not sure what to buy from here
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
yes but i have a direct sound card. which doesnt let me record and playback at the same time. I was reading stuff and it said that ASIO is good for that. but im not sure what to buy from here

What software are you using? I run adacity and i can record and playback at the sametime. Im using a creative soundcard if that helps.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
hmm. well i dont mean like. record track 1. playback track 1 while recording track 2. i mean like being able to heard track1 as you record it, or to output it out to another place so it plays back what you are doing in realtime
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

Well what recording software do you use then?
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
what is the best software? thats another question of mine. i have Adobe Audition, Audacity, Acid, i think thats it.
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell

Try Cubase, but Audition should work. There should be an option to hear the the line in while you record. ASIO drivers aren't really for that unless you have latency issues.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
You need something better than integrated AC97 or HD Audio chip but not much if you want to use ASIO enabled software + something else (like using Guitar Rig for guitar effects and playing a tab from Guitar Pro at the same time). Most likely something really cheap will suffice, I use SoundBlaster Audigy LS (low-end Creative card).
This is not a signature.
oo alright. Thanks for all the help. If you've got anything else, everythings appreciated :-D.

o how do you guys link your guitar to your computer? I've heard of a 1/4 -> 1/8 for direct, or something like hows the line 6 toneport?
Quote by CodeMonk

Quote by bob farrell