I was looking into getting a nicer distortion pedal, because I'm getting much out of my pedals right now. (As you can see in my sig, there's not that much there for good tone). I really like the style and sound of electro harmonix pedals, so I have two questions. I'm swaying between a Metal Muff, A Big Muff Pi, and A Double Muff.

1) Would it be possible to use the pedal (and of the three) for both electric guitar, and bass?

2) I play a heavy range of music, form Classic Rock, to blues (lighter distortion), to punk and grunge (Rawer distortion), to midrange/treble toned rock (RATM), to Mid scoop distortions (Metallica), to over the top, head exploding tones (Like Mastodon). Not to mention the grinding and fuzzy low ends on a bass guitar. I also wouldn't mind exploring with some Muse/Jimi Hendrix/Wolfmother style fuzz. Would it be better to go with a Metal Muff, becasue as far as I understand that supplies way more distortion, but is got a "heavier" tone, or a Big Muff Pi/Double Muff?

If you'd like to suggest of another brand of pedals that might work better for me, go right ahead.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
yes you can use them for bass, many bassists use big muffs for that.
for your style, i recommend a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. also because its good.
its great for classic rock, hard rock, blues, and metal.
Quote by cannibal_animal
yes you can use them for bass, many bassists use big muffs for that.
for your style, i recommend a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. also because its good.
its great for classic rock, hard rock, blues, and metal.

That sound pretty awsome.

Just making sure, can it be used with a bass?

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
yeah you can use pretty much ANY distortion pedal with bass.
there's ones with lower frequencies designed for bass too.
I have a big muff and a double muff. I like to use the double to boost my distortion and the big muff do go from clean to dirty. I'd say just try them all out and see what you like best.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone