im looking for a good head for playin metal and some rock. i found this B-52 and i was wondering if it was any good. if not please leave some suggestions for a good head. my price is about 700. thanks
i have never really been very impressed with the B-52 tube heads. i think they're too compressed, and the tone just sticks to the back of my ears in a really unpleasant way. they're not the worst amp ever made or anything like that, but they're on the same level--in my mind--as the Blue Voodoos by Crate. for $700, there are much better options for metal and hard rock. you can get a Peavey 5150 head for half that on eBay, and you can probably find a used Madison Divinity head for that price around somewhere. you could also look into a Sovtek Mig head (look for an "H" series, though, if you want super-high gain). finally, for the price, i think Peavey Ultra + heads are phenomenal sounding for the price. they're a real sleeper amp that can do everything from pretty cleans to JCM800 style crunch to really heavy, rectified distro tones and they're really cheap. start there and see what you can come up with.
Its a poor man's Mesa Rectifier. For what it is, its alright. But you can find better stuff used...for example the Peavey 6505.
^+1, its a good amp, nice cleans for the price, i was suprised, but in the ultra channel, its lacking something, its hard to explain, kinda like, not that much gain, to not very loud/muffled. its hard to describe

but a 6505 or a 5150 or even a XXX if you want more versatility, will be good amps.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
of course im at work, its like the only time i come on.

and i got my new fretless bass next to me. but no strings
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I like it, I can get some pretty nice metal tones out of it. However, if you are willing to used you can get some amps that are "heavier".
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
One of them got the guitar one award if that means anything. I've also heard the poor mans mesa....but list price isnt that much less than mesa. Not bad at all...and for the 50% off on Musicians friend you cant beat it. give it a try...its all up to you.
I have played several AT-100 heads (not the combo as I own) including a close personal friend's (whom I jam with often) and I can honestly say none that I've played ever had a construction problem. That being said, the amp comes with relatively poor tubes. Put some decent tubes in there, and it works wonders.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
I think it's a great amp for the price, especially used and after a tube change. There are better all-out metal amps out there (Peavey 5150 or XXX), but it has some of the best cleans for a high-gain amp in the price range. It can most definitely do metal. I spend some time playing one at GC and I liked it a lot, but I never ended up buying one... Oh well.
^Your Carvin MTS is supposed to have great cleans too, De Amazing Blob.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i second that on the old peavey ultras, if you see one give it a try!
gibson sg
ltd ex-250 w/ emg 81/85
danelectro piece of crap
boogie mark III simul head (purple stripe)
boogie DC-5 112 (FS)
all tube peavey bravo 112
Quote by necrophagist91
please leave some suggestions for a good head. my price is about 700. thanks

$700? I'll give you a GREAT head for $700.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^Your Carvin MTS is supposed to have great cleans too, De Amazing Blob.
It does, but he was asking about B-52s, so I told him about B-52s Ah, but he asked for suggestions.

Ok then, I would definitely recommend a Carvin MTS head. They're $700 new, but you're probably going to want to change the tubes, though you would want to in the B-52 as well. Plus they're extremely cheap on eBay; I got mine for $425 with new tubes.

They have excellent cleans, and the distortion took me for ever to tweak (like a month), but now it sounds great as well. It has plenty of gain for metal (I keep it on 8.5-9), and I haven't had mine for long, but all the reviews I've read said that it's extremely reliable. It does only have 2 channels (as opposed to the B-52s 2.5), but I find it's enough for me; I can go from metal to rock by just turning down my guitars volume. It's incredibly versatile as I well; I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for most any style. Hope that helped
Anyways, the from what I've heard (mostly from De Amazing Blob), the MTS is a great amp. Just look around and try to find the best for you. Personally, I've never compared the B-52 with the MTS, so I can't tell you. That being said, I still suggest the B-52.
My Gear:
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo