For a long time now I've been wanting a Fender Jaguar, and I've been doing a lot of research on the modifications and such that I'm going to have to do once I buy the guitar. But one thing I can't get a straight answer for is this: What are the differences between the vintage and the re-issue models, other than the fact that the vintage models are about 50 years older? I'm not interested in an HH model at all, so that's out of the question. That leaves me with the original run, 1962-1975 models or the American or Japanese re-issues. I'd like to save money; is the difference between the original Jaguars and the re-issues significant enough to warrant the significant amount of money that it's going to cost me (and the time -- this isn't exactly the greatest place for guitars)?

Thanks UG.
Why arent you interested in the HH model? Im just wondering cause Im getting one next month. If I had a choice I'd get a '62 jaguar.
I've played the HH and I've played an American re-issue numerous times (my friend owns an American Vintage but he doesn't allow anyone to play it and I've only heard it once), and I just don't like how the HH sounds by comparison.
Vintage ones have naturally aged, which makes the wood more toneful and the pickups lose magnetism and become more vintage sounding. Also, the Fenders made back then were MUCH higher quality, all hand made etc.

If you've got the money, play a load of vintage ones if you can, and choose which one you like best.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I don't have the money. =P
Around where I live the prices on vintage guitars is particularily ridiculous which makes affording them very hard and would probably require me to save for at least another three or four months.
And, wouldn't a pre-CBS Jaguar and a remake of a pre-CBS Jaguar be of the same manufacturing quality?
No, the remakes aren't usually EXACTLY to original specs (usually a few differences or cost cutting drawbacks). And the reissue wouldn't have aged like the vintage one.

But if you don't have money for the vintage one, just get the reissue if you REALLY like it.
But if you play a vintage one and fall in love with it, you might aswell save.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I've played a reissue about a million times over the course of my guitar-playing career and I've always wanted to buy one; I've only HEARD a vintage for myself once or twice. I'm aware that the specs will be different, and it's just those differences that I'd like to know.
CIJ jags a fantastic, however the Americans are better, better pickups, better quality control, better electronics and I do believe that they're all alder. But if you want a cheaper alternative the CIJ is great.
Also good decision on avoiding the HH, awful guitar.
I own a vintage one that my dad gave me, and let me tell you, it is a damn nice guitar. by far the best playability of any guitar ive ever played. the neck is thin and plays like a dream, and you can get incredible cleans and overdrive, especially through a tube amp. ive never pleayd the reissue, so idk how they compare, but the vintage is surely an amazing guitar.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
ScreaminBlues, can you record it for me, preferrably clean?

Beckyjc: I've seen Japanese ones with alder wood, but that's about as far as I've gotten on information on the Japanese reissues.
i can put up a recording for you sometime, but keep in mind that i record through line6 processing/modeling software so it might sound different than it would straight through an amp
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.