Ive read the sticky but it is confusing and I dont want to take a chance. My first tube amp will arrive tomorrow.

Do I
A) Standby On---Wait----Power On---Standby Off---Play

or

B) Standby On---Wait---Standby Off---Power On---Play

And what about shutting her down?

Thanks
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
The first one...although theres no need to wait between turning the standby and power on...flip the standby on, then the power, count the 30, standby off, play.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
no.

power ON -> 3 mins -> standby ON

there is NO point turning standby on if you have no power, think about it
from these kinda of reoccuring threads im guessing 30%~ of people are turning their amps on wrongly and ****ing up their tubes
First off it doesnt "fnck up" the tubes to not let them warm up. It doesnt really do anything at all accept decrease the life by a very little amount.

Think of all the tube amps that dont have stand-by switches.

Secondly - enough with all the 3 MINUTE shit. 30 - 45 seconds is fine. Theyre not going to get any "warmer" after that.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
First off it doesnt "fnck up" the tubes to not let them warm up. It doesnt really do anything at all accept decrease the life by a very little amount.

Think of all the tube amps that dont have stand-by switches.

Secondly - enough with all the 3 MINUTE shit. 30 - 45 seconds is fine. Theyre not going to get any "warmer" after that.

QFT

By not letting them warm up, they won't last as long, but they won't explode or anything.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
i thought it was 'standby, power' considering STANDBY is when electrical devices are using power but are not switched on.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'm not sure but try not to touch the tubes when you don't think they're hot enough :/

Also a nice little tip... If you have an open back head... Put something like a cornish pasty in there to warm up

EDIT: Also what amp are you getting?
Quote by Untitled001
I'm not sure but try not to touch the tubes when you don't think they're hot enough :/

Also a nice little tip... If you have an open back head... Put something like a cornish pasty in there to warm up

haha
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Untitled001

LOL

Cue a ton of Americans asking wtf is a cornish pasty
Quote by Free
LOL

Cue a ton of Americans asking wtf is a cornish pasty

HAH

Yeah.... Man I'm hungry now :/
you turn the power on n leave the stand by untill the valves r warm then u turn the stand by off and play.. when turning it off turn stand by on wait like 30 or so sec's then power off... thats all i do
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by Good Riddance
No.

Plug the amp into an outlet first.

thats always a start.. maybe plug it into the speaker box if u have a stack
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
and with turning it off, you can just turn the whole thing off at once.

and if you try to argue with me, my amp has no standby switch. it's lasted for years fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ppl are so stuiipid...you switch the standby on its obvious it doesnt do anything because the tubes dont light up. switch the power on. tubes light up...to warm up...thats the whole point.

Power on-> wait 30 secs to 3 mins-> standby on-> play vise versa for turning off
Well, I think people get lost in the nomenclature, too. The whole "standby" thing is a linguistic nightmare, because although the amp says "standby on," in all actuality, you're turning standby off, since standby is what's keeping sound from going through your power amp section.

But yeah, the "tube warming up" thing is just like truss rods on guitars - much ado about nothing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Sora 01
Ppl are so stuiipid...you switch the standby on its obvious it doesnt do anything because the tubes dont light up. switch the power on. tubes light up...to warm up...thats the whole point.

Power on-> wait 30 secs to 3 mins-> standby on-> play vise versa for turning off

agreed.
Member #78 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

Originally Posted by Gibson_Rocker13
why the hell would you worship satan if hes gunna torture the **** out of you.
Quote by Untitled001
EDIT: Also what amp are you getting?

Peavey XXX

Ok so Im still confused. Thanks people!

With power on will I get any sound? Do I need standby and power to be on to play? Im right confused.
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Quote by Dirk Gently
Well, I think people get lost in the nomenclature, too. The whole "standby" thing is a linguistic nightmare, because although the amp says "standby on," in all actuality, you're turning standby off, since standby is what's keeping sound from going through your power amp section.

But yeah, the "tube warming up" thing is just like truss rods on guitars - much ado about nothing.

+1

That is exactly why people get confused.
So....I need power on and standby on to play? I leave power on by itself to let the tubes warm up...then standby on to play?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Yeah, I'm still quite confused myself. Everyone is contradicting each other, I don't know who to listen to.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Ok, here it is:

1. Turn on the power switch. This will send current through the tubes and start heating them up, but there will be no signal going through.

2. Wait for the tubes to warm up.

3. Turn the standby switch to "On". This is, I think, where most people get confused. In actuality, what you're doing is taking to amp from standby to fully on; you're not turning on the standby. When you flip the power on, the amp should be in standby; you then turn the other switch from "Standby", to "On", but you're not turning on the Standby.

Hopefully that made sense; that's what Dirk said a few posts up, but I tried to clarify....yeah. How you turn it off doesn't really matter.
Quote by Jinskee
Yeah, I'm still quite confused myself. Everyone is contradicting each other, I don't know who to listen to.

the reason why people get confused is that different amp companies label the standby "on" or "off" opposite sometimes. It's rediculous, I don't even bother to try and explain it anymore