Looking to get more deeply into playing bass in bands and have questions about what kind of amp i should get. Right now I am playing my brothers crappy Squire P-Bass through my (crappy) Ibanez Toneblaster 100R combo. I play in a sort of Death From Above 1979 distorted sound. I will mostly be playing in punk bands so it needs to be fairly powerful. I am getting a short scale (either Gibson SG re-issue or Fender Mustang) bass soon. I dont want to spend much money. Basically I am wondering should I get like a 600 watt acoustic or PA amp and some sort of cheap cabinet then use like a EH Big muff pedal (or other distortion) (will this sound like poo?) or do you know of a cheap readilly availible Amp head that I can get serious watts and also very much distortion. Sorry for the essay.
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
Um I don't think you could get anything that quality for cheap unless you tried a middle-range peavey amp. Have you thought about trying used?
ಥ_ಥ
Ya I have no problem with used as long as it is fairly popular because I live in Canada and sometimes stuff is hard to find here. Mostly I just want to know if I get a 600 watt clean bass amp and use distortion pedals will that work? I am basstarded
My Rig:
1970's Twin Reverb
1972 Gibson SG
1970's Raven SG copy (extreme modifications)
EH Double Muff
Dunlop Hendrix wah
and of course... a disco ball
dude if your gonna be playing punk you dont need to distort the bass dude, every punk band ive heard uses a clean bass
Quote by brdpritt
dude if your gonna be playing punk you dont need to distort the bass dude, every punk band ive heard uses a clean bass

I think Death From Above 1979 are a great example of distorted bass in punk music. Go and buy their album.

If you're strictly going to be playing DFA style distorted, high treble "lead bass" then your amp and cab idea should be ok, but it just won't work for clean, bassy bass. Much better to use a genuine bass cabinet and amp, imo.