Ok so soon after my dandy tuition bill gets sorted out i want a guitar, and primarily a les paul shape, ive always used guitars like super strats and im looking for a meatier guitar sort to speak, like a les paul, however i dont want an epiphone or gibson

Im looking at possible LTDs, like the 400 or 500 white one that they just released..can anyone offer me any other brands besides the ones of mentioned that make les paul shaped guitars that sound great and arent to expensive, like 600-700 u.s tops? thanks
Personally I'd save up some more to get an ESP LTD EC-1000.
I have one and it's the most amazing guitar I've played. But it all really depends what you play, such as, metal, death metal, classic rock, etc.
Equipment:
ESP LTD EC-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Line6 Spider II 75
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I've got a DeArmond M75-T. Its got a real nice, dark tone and is a very good and dependable. And its got the Les Paul body. I don't think they make it anymore, though, so you'd probably have to dig for it.
Quote by VelvetFireBC491
whats wrong with gibson?

its out of his price range
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by VelvetFireBC491
whats wrong with gibson?

The over nine thousand dollar price range usually scares people away.

I actually had a good answer for this but I forgot how to spell the name of the brand; it was probably the best les paul clone I'd ever played (with the exception of my Epi), I just can't remember what the name was. On that note, I should find out tomorrow.
Quote by Ondsjel
I have one and it's the most amazing guitar I've played. But it all really depends what you play, such as, metal, death metal, classic rock, etc.

+1. I love the looks and feel of it, but the pick ups just weren't me (switched em' out :P)

Like he said, I suggest looking into that...even though you said to say something else.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Me2NiK
The over nine thousand dollar price range usually scares people away.

I actually had a good answer for this but I forgot how to spell the name of the brand; it was probably the best les paul clone I'd ever played (with the exception of my Epi), I just can't remember what the name was. On that note, I should find out tomorrow.

Because as we all know, all Gibsons are over $9000

There are plenty of good guitars in the Les Paul shape in your price range. The better LTD Eclipses would do the job if you were playing metal, but there are plenty of others.
yeah the 1000 looks so tempting, as for gibson, ive just never liked or respected the company ever since i picked one up, I dont like how they run their company and treat the competition, just personal preference...but yeah i might have to stretch budget and try to get the 1000, looks bomb..
600-700 US:

You could get an Edwards that's actually got the LP shape. I've heard great reviews about them (eg "New Tokai! New Burny! New Greco!") Plus, they come with pretty good variations of SD pups.

Although the LTD 400/500 itself is a really good guitar as well. (IRC, don't they use SD pups too?)

The EC-500 sorta looks like (one of the finishes of) the Schecter Tempest Custom.
Go for the ec 1000, stock it is a great metal guitar or classic, cleaner things with the emgs on the cherry/black models and the bursts with SD JB/59. its also beautiful in any of the colors
Burny and Edwards seem comparable, and both have been called the most superior Gibson clones ever (by people who know their shit, even). And both those brands are very affordable, even though they are sometimes of a better quality than an actual Gibby.
Thanks fellas i appriciate it, im not sure if I want EMGs, I love the JB, myself and a good friend played 2 similarly built guitars the other day, and I found that the JB for my chords, made each note sing out better rather then one straight even thing, like its hard to explain, but the jb combo is tempting too
Quote by Ondsjel

For sure on that one... just like the one above. You could get a PRS SE Singlecut for around what you're looking for. They're pretty sweet too. The LTD EC-1000 is a dream player though... sorry, I'm done now.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by d_byrne23
yeah the 1000 looks so tempting, as for gibson, ive just never liked or respected the company ever since i picked one up, I dont like how they run their company and treat the competition, just personal preference...but yeah i might have to stretch budget and try to get the 1000, looks bomb..

DURR.

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Pikka Bird
Burny and Edwards seem comparable, and both have been called the most superior Gibson clones ever (by people who know their shit, even). And both those brands are very affordable, even though they are sometimes of a better quality than an actual Gibby.

+1 I've got a couple of Burny's (in sig) that I like better than the Gibsons I've owned. Edwards are supposed to be great too, although I haven't played a recent model.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Agile's are really nice guitars. I own the AL-3000 model and after I replaced the stock 'buckers with some duncans it really sings. http://rondomusic.net, check them out. Only downside is you have to order them online (unless you know someone that owns one) and you can't actually play the guitar until you've already bought it.. You can send it back if you don't like it though.
the EC1000 series are actually thinner than your standard LP, if you want a thicker body, that would be the 400 series
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers