Poll: Do you think Schecters are Highend?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think Schecters are Highend?
Yes, i do, and they belong with Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, ect.
110 70%
No, they are cheap/ I havent played/heard of them.
48 30%
Voters: 158.
Page 1 of 2
Schecter guitars are pretty new, my father played guitar all his life and hadn't heard of them but I got one as my first guitar because it fit my needs and I really liked it. After having it I think it is a REALLY nice guitar, its a classic. I think that schecter has earned its place in HIGHEND GUITARS. And I think it should assume the throne with Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, PRS (i think thats it, i've played them but i dont know much about them). I think that in 10-20 years, Schecter will be a highly respected brand along side those.
Hell, I think they're highly respected now... I own one. I think that nowadays, the brands that I think of as the "populars" are Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, PRS... and then I think of brands like B.C. Rich and Washburn or something after those.
I have a Schecter, and I really like it. It plays extremly well and does everything I want it to do. My brother has a PRS, and it's one of the smoothest guitars I've played. PRS is the top guitar maker in the US, maybe the world, right now. It will take some time, but I agree that Schecter will one day be as respected as PRS and Gibson.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
cause. i do. I think that if fender and gibson had a baby, itd look something like me classic. its like a heavy strat with two humbuckers.
Quote by Nick_
massive lol at brand status

honestly why do you care

I guess every thread has to have it's "token" prick.

What makes them an exceptional guitar is, at this point, they aren't overpriced. Hell, if anything they're underpriced.
I personally do not like Sh*tter, er, Schecter guitars, but I guess sales and quality will determine the outcome of your prediction, Stoner. As far as you are concerned, predictions aside, if it suits you and you really enjoy it, who really cares if it ends up a high end model or not? As long as you are happy and comfortable with it.

As far as my opinion goes, Schecter belongs in the toilet...right next to Washburn, PRS, Dean, and Fender.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Is Ibanez up there with Gibson, Fender and PRS?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Ibanez has started to make a comeback of sorts, but I don't know if I would put them in the same class as PRS and Gibson.

Schecter guitars, from what I've heard, are decent, but i dont think they're up at the top with Fender and Gibson. they need to make a larger variety of guitars, instead of ones for hard rock/metal/ect.

*edit: just for hard rock/metal/ect. other then the TSH models
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by breadfan82

As far as my opinion goes, Schecter belongs in the toilet...right next to Washburn, PRS, Dean, and Fender.

when was the last time you played a PRS and if uve played one adn think there bad ur insane im not even joking go get yourself checked out
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser aka Frederick
Epiphone G-310
Boss Metal Zone Distortion pedal
Crate GT1200H Head
Crate G412SL Half stack
and some strings,
and some picks of assorted sizes

www.myspace.com/todaysescape
Check us out!
^i agree. prs's are sexy. if only they weren't so damn expencive. that's why i want a carvin california carved top. i view it as a cheap prs.
Lots of guitar companies are "high end", you just have to pay for it. There are guitar companies you've probably never heard of that make better guitars then fender, Gibson etc.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I personally have always viewed Schecter as somewhat of a marketing ploy. They make mahogany guitars with thick necks and EMGs, and that screams "open D/C/B chug me!!" I am in a metalcore band, and I do my share of chugging, but I also practice ALOT to be able to implement more technical guitar work in my music. I think kids these days in "metal" bands that are starting out on guitar just see the dark finishes, the cool names, and the "EMG" on the pickups and decide to buy one. Then they make crappy music with them.

I do know alot of this has to do with preference, and Schecters are reasonably priced which is cool; and also I know that other companies are guilty of marketing ploys (Marshall, Epiphone), but I think Schecter just plays a little too much on the "rich metal kid's first guitar" market. Most of their sales are made by the label "EMG," the names "Hellraiser and Omen," and the black finishes.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I personally have always viewed Schecter as somewhat of a marketing ploy. They make mahogany guitars with thick necks and EMGs, and that screams "open D/C/B chug me!!" I am in a metalcore band, and I do my share of chugging, but I also practice ALOT to be able to implement more technical guitar work in my music. I think kids these days in "metal" bands that are starting out on guitar just see the dark finishes, the cool names, and the "EMG" on the pickups and decide to buy one. Then they make crappy music with them.

I do know alot of this has to do with preference, and Schecters are reasonably priced which is cool; and also I know that other companies are guilty of marketing ploys (Marshall, Epiphone), but I think Schecter just plays a little too much on the "rich metal kid's first guitar" market. Most of their sales are made by the label "EMG," the names "Hellraiser and Omen," and the black finishes.

Pretty much.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by breadfan82

care to explain why?

anyways, i dont think too much of them either, like Martyr's Prayer said, a marketing ploy. everyone and their mother play them. alot of artists play them, and alot of the mentality of people who dont know much think "hey, if ___ plays it, then it must be good" which has been done. dean has accomplished the same thing. plus, every store ive been to, ive seen a schecter hanging on the wall. which is a great move on schecters end. get alot of products out there(which is probably why they have like 9 slight variations in one guitar), and make people think they are better than gold.

now im not saying they are bad guitars, mind you, its just you can get better for you money. for example, ive played about 30 schecters or so, why? to see what everyone was raving about them for. i brought my Washburn X50 into guitar center when they opened, so i had no interruptions, and i played about 10 schecter c-1's that day. i couldnt find one thing on any of those guitars that would make me get it over a guitar that costs 150 dollars less.

so overall, they are good guitars, but are better at marketing and business.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
to me schecters are in the dumpster next to prs, esp, and ltd.
tried them all and they all played like crap in my opinion.
prs's scale is weird for me, schecter and ltd and esp feel really cheap to me.
as said above they get most of their sales from the name EMG, a black finish and names like hellraiser.
Quote by tubadude
...(which is probably why they have like 9 slight variations in one guitar)...

Hmmm, I actually think that's a good thing, because I've often tried out a really nice guitar and thought to myself "wow, this plays reeaally nicely. Too bad it's got this apalling finish". So with Schecter you have more choices if you've fallen for one of their core guitars. However, I have never played any Schecters myself.

But it's quite annoying that everybody and their dogs are all over Schecter these days, either you're worshipping them, or ragging on them. But they've only become well known semi-recently. Years ago nobody knew them at all, except me, of course, and I always wanted to find out what they were like, but they weren't available here in Denmark. Now they are, but now I'm not actively looking for that sort of guitars anymore. My Cort seems to do what I wanted in a Schecter back in old times.

But, Tuba, you must admit that even though Washburn are often even more affordable, Schecters do seem reasonably priced, no?
well, this was an interesting read. I'm getting a Schecter myself (should be here in a week's time), and the one I've selected, a C-1 Artist Limited Editionhttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187. I chose it for the high-end components (Seymour Duncan JB/'59 pickups, Tonepros bridge, Grover tuners), a combination of which I couldn't find on any other guitar within my budget ($500). Plus the pickups are supposed to be really good for rock and blues, but not metal. So perhaps its a step in the right direction for Schecter?
tubadude
Originally Posted by breadfan82

care to explain why?

Certainly. First of all, before I get flamed by any fanboys, I have owned guitars by all of the companies I listed except Dean. However, my brother has 4 of Dean's guitars and I have swapped guitars with him for a couple weeks here and there, just to see for myself.

Fender has NEVER made an even close to quality instrument. It seems like they just throw whatever chunks of plywood together, paint it, put sh*tty electronics in it, and then ship it away to the pseudo-punk rock masses.

Washburn--I should alter my statement so that it only includes Washburn's electric guitars. Their acoustics are pretty decent, but their electric lineup is a real disappointment. The neck wasn't too great, and the stock electronics looked and sounded like they were only good enough to make the guitar work when I plugged it in...and that's it.

PRS--I had a Santana SE that played just slightly underneath "okay". I would have never bought it, it was a gift from my aunt in Las Vegas. It was brand new when I got it, and two weeks later, the neck pickup didn't work and three of the inlays had fallen out. Now doesn't that just SCREAM "high-end craftsmanship"? I took it to a guitar shop and traded it in the next week.

Dean--I know there are a ton of Dean fanboys on this site. The Deans that I have played (my brother's, as I mentioned above: Dime USA Razorback, Razorback V, Michael Schenker Custom, and Vendetta XMT), seemed very, very ENTRY LEVEL. They do not seem to be of the quality they claim to be. I don't know why anyone would use these to shred...the have necks like a Strat or Gibson Explorer. A company getting rich off of Dime's (and now Dave Mustaine's) legacy and by selling cheaply made guitars for three times what they're worth.

And FINALLY...

Schecter--Another guitar designed with the talentless death-metal guitarist in mind, as Martyr's Prayer said earlier. They have very thick necks, pseudo-evil names ("Hellraiser" and "Omen"), and EMGs. These are obviously marketed towards the clan of drop-B sh*t metal players out there. I also got this as a gift, from my girlfriend's parents. They bought it because the bat inlays "looked nice". It was a Damien FR series. I had it for about four days when I decided to get rid of it. When my cheap-ass B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock sounds and plays better than the Schecter, you get rid of the Schecter. I sold it to a guy that plays death-grind-hardcore-bondage-industrial-fart metal. He paid me full price, since there was nothing physically wrong with it. For me, it played like sh*t, sounded like sh*t, and wasn't at all comfortable.

I hope I was clear enough in my explanation. If not, just ask me another question and I'll clear it up for you.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
^ You sound like you just play cheap instruments and then judge the entire brand by them. That's silly, for lack of a better term. Wait...idiotic. That's a better term.

Fender only makes crappy instruments to appeal to the pseudo-punk rock masses? How big of an idiot are you? I guess Eric Johnson, Yngwie, Hendrix, Clapton, Ray Buchanan, Keith Richards, Jeff Buckley, Buddy Guy, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Page, and the rest of the countless legendary musicians who could afford any guitar they wanted and stuck with Fender throughout the bulk of their careers are part of those pseudo-punk rock masses.

And your characterization of PRS guitars is just as stupid. I own 2 of them, including one that's American made and retails for probably 3 or 4 times the value of any of the guitars you're talking about. First of all, PRS SE guitars are made in Korea, but I've never had any of the problems with my PRS SE that I've owned for 2 years that you're talking about. I've heard people who don't necessarily like them, but never the kind of thing you're talking about.

lollerskates.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 9, 2007,
I wouldn't take breadfan82 seriously, anybody. Come on, the inlays fell out? Yeah right! Fenders aren't plywood either.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
^ He's probably some Ibanez fanboy who thinks having a grip carved into a flat, characterless guitar body makes it worth that extra $2,000.
Hi, I'm Peter
@Breadfan82: Inlays falling out? NOT gonna happen. Unless you're pounding them directly with a hammer and chisel or prying them out with a crowbar. You, sir, are a biased fucker. Seriously, putting Schecter down SOLELY based on their model names (and your claim that it felt wrong, which is subjective, and therefore cannot be fact unless it's literally riddled with razor sharp fret edges that slice off your fingers)... See, YOU play a Warlock... To clarify: B.C. Rich is the brand that's NUMBER ONE in the evil-themed guitars. Not just "pseudo-evil" like you claim Schecter is, but actually proper evil (at least, most Rich owners claim themselves and their guitars to be truly evil).

Quote by Dirk Gently
^ He's probably some Ibanez fanboy who thinks having a grip carved into a flat, characterless guitar body makes it worth that extra $2,000.

That's not quite fair. Because Ibanez makes really nice guitars. If you paid attention, you'd have noticed his B.C. Rich BRONZE series Warlock was a totally wondermazingtacular guitar. Which means (you guessed it) - opinion = invalid. (I know not all B.C. Rich guitars are shit, but all Bronzes I've held were torture devices)
^ I was being a bit hyperbolic (and it was more of a shot at Ibanez than him), but I really don't see the point in paying $3,000 for a guitar that has a flat body, a flat radius neck, and nothing really special about it other than a monkey grip and a vine of life inlay. They should at least do a bit more to make it aesthetically pleasing.

But yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't know a good guitar if it took a fat steaming dump on his forehead.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, the extra dollaz are for the name (Steve Vai). That' how it is with every brand, not just Ibanez. But yes, the JEM is friggin' ugly and weird.
Quote by Stoner stone
Schecter guitars are pretty new, my father played guitar all his life and hadn't heard of them but I got one as my first guitar because it fit my needs and I really liked it. After having it I think it is a REALLY nice guitar, its a classic. I think that schecter has earned its place in HIGHEND GUITARS. And I think it should assume the throne with Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, PRS (i think thats it, i've played them but i dont know much about them). I think that in 10-20 years, Schecter will be a highly respected brand along side those.

...This makes no sense. Schecter can be considered a high end guitar company because they make high end guitars as well as mid and lower level guitars. Vigier are a high end guitar company because they make high end guitars. A guitar company doesn't have to 'earn its place' to be considered a higher end company. I don't consider Gibson to be overly high end anymore seeing as many of the 'USA' models are built in China, assembled in the US and just cost a lot but that's another matter. Etc.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by Pikka Bird

But, Tuba, you must admit that even though Washburn are often even more affordable, Schecters do seem reasonably priced, no?

yes and no, for some guitars, its a great deal, for about 75% of the C-1 line, i dont think so. the c-1 artist looks like a good deal, but alot of the others i dont think so.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ I was being a bit hyperbolic (and it was more of a shot at Ibanez than him), but I really don't see the point in paying $3,000 for a guitar that has a flat body, a flat radius neck, and nothing really special about it other than a monkey grip and a vine of life inlay. They should at least do a bit more to make it aesthetically pleasing.

But yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't know a good guitar if it took a fat steaming dump on his forehead.

jems don't have a curved neck??? wtf??? i didn't think any guitar could do that without having every fret buzz like crazy.....

as far as schecters go, not really a fan of the body shapes, c series shape is fine. but as far as the features... take the c7 hellraiser for an example, who else makes a string-thru mahogany set neck archtop 7 string with a tone pros bridge and grover tuners and EMG 707's for 700 bucks?????? or the c1 classic, neckthru mahogany quilt maple top same bridge and tuners roughly the same price????

schecters are NOT the best guitars, but they are an AMAZING value if you get the right ones.

edit: omfg i just checked thier site and the 2007 models are up! JEFF LOOMIS SIG!
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by Merge
I guess every thread has to have it's "token" prick.

I resent being called token

there are other pricks in this thread too

and I still think blanket generalizations about brands is retarded

as is caring about the name on the headstock
All this talk about too much marketing. Doesn't every popular guitar company do that. They pick a market and go for it. That's how they make money. Schecter definately is not the only one who does this. And many of their guitars are not just geared toward metal players.
Quote by Pizzapotamus
jems don't have a curved neck??? wtf??? i didn't think any guitar could do that without having every fret buzz like crazy.....

I was talking about fretboard radius.
Hi, I'm Peter
? I know they're flatter than most but I didn't think they actually have a flat (infinite radius) board, like a vigier or something

I could be wrong though....

still wouldn't buy a Jem.

at that price you're simply way better off getting a custom built.
^ Yeah, that's what I mean. Compared to the other "big" manufacturers, they have a ridiculously flat radius. I prefer between 8"-10" radius, whereas Ibanez is around 16".
Hi, I'm Peter
ah alright

I actually prefer the flatter radii myself, even though I dislike most of ibanez' offerings (the pat metheny sig is quite nice though, as are most of the artcores).

highest I've seen on a production electric is the holdsworth fatboy at 20"

The vigier shawn lane is completely flat
Is anyone aware of Schecter's history? In the 70's they built very high end, professional instruments. It's was gift to own one. They subsequently were bought out by a company that turned them into entry level builders, producing junk.

In the early 90's they were bought by the present ownership out of Japan, with the goal to start producing quality instruments at mid level prices, which is exactly what they've done. They make a good guitar at a reasonable price. You know what you're getting. A friend of mine recently toured several of the Korean manufacturing plants and found the plant that builds Schecters to be using more upscale techniques than the other plants, especially in terms of bindings and quality control.

I've owned several Schecters and they have all measured up well against my other guitars, especially when considering price, that includes several custom shop pieces.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
schecters arent exactly new. produced first in 89'. they made prince's purple rain guitar, whenever the heck that movie came out.

when i got my c-1+ about 5 years ago. i bought it for $425USD. a great deal at the time.
really nice guitar, well balanced, the electronics were placed with care in the cavity. grover tuners, thru string, jumbo frets. very well made.

lately, ive seen that schecter prices have almost doubled. still not a bad deal. but definately not as good a bargin. perhaps a used, but well kept schecter is the way to go now.

either way. i feel bad for the kid who made a fool of himself up there, lumping fenders, washburns, schecters, ect... in the trash.
you need to really think more before u post.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Dirk Gently
I was talking about fretboard radius.

you misunderstand me. i can't justify calling it a 0 radius or an infinite radius. if it's flat, there IS no radius, because there IS no circle. i know exactly what you were talking about. what i was not aware of was the fact that the jem's have non-curved necks. is that even true? links, plz?
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Page 1 of 2