So, yeah, as the title says, I have recently bought a Marshall MG 100DFX. I bought it for like $550 Canadian. In the store it seemed cool, so I took it. After playing around with it, trying to get the sounds I want out of it, and doing a tiny bit of research about it, I'm not very happy with it at all. I can trade it for store credit in Tom Lee, where I bought it, but I'm not sure what I should get instead. I might end up getting something I like less than the MG, though. I don't know what to do, and this weekend is my last chance at trading it in.

I play Guns N' Roses, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc. lead guitar stuff mostly, along with soft music and metal. My guitar is a Gibson SG. I'd like something versitile for under $600 Canadian. I don't really care about effects, and I have a distortion pedal, so I might just end up using that, not the amp's disortion.

I took it becuase I didn't know anything and thought I couldn't go wrong with a Marshall. I don't really care what brand it is, as long as I can get good sounds out of it.

Thanks for the help.
The Roland Cube 30 or 60. Preferably the 60, but im not sure if its less than 600 CND. But with either one, you wont be dissapointed.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Tough luck. I don't know the store but i would save up for a tube amp, maybe a laney, mavbe a vox valvetronix
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
I play thru an MG 100dfx, with my GNX4 & it rocks, the amp is good, you just need a good effects setup, I play mostly SOAD, which is very thick ended.
For metal the MG sounds pretty decent. I have a friend with an MG halfstack and I had the mg250dfx. If you're looking for Hendrix and Zeppelin tones, you should save for a tube amp. If you're just messing around though, it's not a terrible amp. Good luck.
You're just upset because of what other people are saying..? What do *you* think about the amp? There's a couple (out of the thousnad others) of clips where the MG actually sounds pretty good.

For resell value, yeah probably a bad idea to hold on to them.

What brands does the shop carry?

Other pretty good amps for "around" that price range:
Traynor YC40 (actually, one of the YC series has greenbacks in them; they sound awesome IMO)
Fender Hot Rod Deville/Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking 112/212
Peavey XXX

I have a feeling all those I just named are a little bit more actually. I find that in Canada, shop to shop gives you different prices. (I've dealt with Tom Lee before, they're a bit over priced IMO)
Just had a quick look at the Tom Lee site and looks like they just have Marshall MG's, Behringers, Line 6 and some other one I've not heard of, lol you're probably better off keeping it compared to your options that is.
Sell it on ebay to some unlucky sap. Since its brand new you can advertise it that way and make most of your money back. Then save up a few hundred more and get a real amp.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
they do say they have other products in the store that aren't online though, and they do carry Vox and Roland. Like others said, I would look at the Roland Cube or Vox AD series. Personally , I would go for a Vox for the stuff you play. I used to own the same amp, return it if you can, it's hard to "grow to like" that amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Vox.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by jmt
...I might end up getting something I like less than the MG, though...

no you won't many have tried and all have failed
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by Erock503
they do say they have other products in the store that aren't online though, and they do carry Vox and Roland. Like others said, I would look at the Roland Cube or Vox AD series. Personally , I would go for a Vox for the stuff you play. I used to own the same amp, return it if you can, it's hard to "grow to like" that amp.

Unless by "Grow to like" you mean aquire more pedals, to gradually drag a half decent sound out of it.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
A Peavey Windsor or a Traynor YCV50 Blue are THE amps for you man!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Unless by "Grow to like" you mean aquire more pedals, to gradually drag a half decent sound out of it.

Impossible, the speaker is so terrible that nothing can help it.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Traynor might be a good option, but you might have to go used, especially if you want a WR series (the one with the Vintage 30 speaker). Actually, maybe the 20 watt version? Thats a kickass little amp, even has a direct out for recording.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah