Let me first apologize for sounding like a dick(if I do), but the Pit is actually for dicks. Everything is going retro. At this point you can't help but make music that was popular earlier. No matter how hard you try, it seems that there is a resemblance to a song you've heard, like it or not. There is only 12 notes to play, and the combos can only be done so many times. Do we blame people from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's for ruining it for us. I find that when I get down, I am reminded of something else. I can usually find a little lick that is different, because of what I hear in my head. I assume that is what most musicians do, but it seems as though now, that the riff has been written. It's not just that, the riff is copywritten. I understand that you should do that upon creation of a riff, but there are only so many combinations. Let's say that combination is 12 million, there are at least that number of song copywritten. That means even if you write an original song, you still have to pay the guy that patented Am D the G.(This is not the actual case, because music is unexplainably somehow always different)

So again, musicians aren't going to be rich. They aren't going be able to tour. When you learn music, it expands your grasp of math. So why can't people understand that when they illegallly download music that the said band doesn't get paid. The companies that collect royalties for the artist they represent don't pay them until they collect the money. Here's a little bit of info that most people don't know. When you start to publish music, there are 2 companies you can apply to freely. They will represent you legally to get any money owed. As long as you signed their forms and agreement( which is quite a fair deal) you are protected. It may take a while, but if you're making enough money to make some one sue you, you're rich. A quite of few people pay them for that reason. I would, if I could afford it. I would at least expect it from someone. (truthfully, I expect nothing from noone)that's just me being a dick. I don't really intend my music for anyone except my little gang. I get enough satisfaction from that.
eh? that all just went way over my head.

did you actually have a point?

you mentioned some trend thing for like a second...and how is copywriting music a trend? dont people grow out of trends?
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Last edited by Snowblind 911 at Feb 9, 2007,
I think they can only sue you if you copy their lyrics or cover their songs without giving them credit. But there are a lot of songs out there that sound just like other songs, and they're perfectly legal.
So you are saying that the next new trend is that the Recording Industry will try to screw musicians in the ass?

Wait, don't they do that already?
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Metal-X
So you are saying that the next new trend is that the Recording Industry will try to screw musicians in the ass?

Wait, don't they do that already?

ha, yeah dougan made sure i knew that.
Nah, you needn't worry about copyrights. I'm sure there are hundreds of songs with, say, a A-E-F#m-D progression. But, I actually do agree with you. It's become increasingly hard to write anything new or original these days.

Hell, most of the "innovators" of recent memory have just been innovators in the sense that they've been fusing pre-existing genres in "new" ways.

Take Muse for example. Most people would agree that Muse is one of the more original and creative bands out there, but, really, Muse is just mostly fusing a myriad of diverse genres - not really making music of their "own" new genre.

All this burdens me
I fail to see the point. Are you just pissed off because you're stuck in a rut and can't write anything original or because your band can't get signed?
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
^LOL. I think so too. I didn't really see anything in there about a new trend or even asking about a new trend. Maybe he's asking what the new trend in music will be? Either way, horrible communication skills
The Vice President of DALF
Discrimination Against Left-handers Federation "A group FOR lefThanded players."

"Go where the climate suits my clothes."-Jerry Garcia
It's just like in school when your not really listening to the teacher but you know the answer to his/her question. Then as you start telling everyone you come to realise that another student has already said it before you and the only thing one has achieved is being a tool.

Hence most bands out right now.

No examples required, your all smart people i guess.
Quote by stevie-ray

No examples required, your all smart people i guess.

You're* Lol.

No offense buddy, just thought that was funny considering the context
The Vice President of DALF
Discrimination Against Left-handers Federation "A group FOR lefThanded players."

"Go where the climate suits my clothes."-Jerry Garcia
Quote by g-love69
You're* Lol.

No offense buddy, just thought that was funny considering the context

I blame the schools.

*Hopes there isn't any punctuation or spelling problems*