OK I post a thread like this months ago but cant remember what people said so...

I've finally got a decent amount of money to buy a new axe and I'm not too sure what to buy.

I've got £515, play thrash, punk, metalcore, heavy metal...ANY ROCK SHIT.
I dislike Ibanez and ''metal'' looking guitars.

Any Suggestions? And I can get a some extra cash from my mum if i need it.
um Gibson studio les paul? epiphone les paul midnight? although that'd involve a wait i think. If your headed glasgow-ward, check out merchant city music, have a few in mind, see if anything catches your eye, im sure they'd let you try 'em out, guitarguitar have a huge selection too, I'd reccomend going in and trying out a variety of guitars and deciding on a few then elimation rounds...

edit- both of those guitars are (as i just realised) a bit over budget, but you could go second hand on a studio? or if you were saying your mum could help you out
Last edited by metadrix at Feb 9, 2007,
Yup. I'll be going to merchant city.

And yeas they've got a Ltd Edish les paul midnight coming in I believe.
But how heavy are les pauls? I mean I jump around alot.
Last edited by guitarist41 at Feb 9, 2007,
Well, I've never used a les paul live or indeed for any extended period of time, but as far as i can see, slash and many other people with pauls have no real trouble, I'd imagine you'd get used to it. If you get the chance also I'd recommend going to sound control to try out some schecters, c1 classic especially. I'd also have a look at some mexican teles. The best advice is to go and try out as many guitars as physically possible and go from there.
Quote by metadrix
Well, I've never used a les paul live or indeed for any extended period of time, but as far as i can see, slash and many other people with pauls have no real trouble, I'd imagine you'd get used to it. If you get the chance also I'd recommend going to sound control to try out some schecters, c1 classic especially. I'd also have a look at some mexican teles. The best advice is to go and try out as many guitars as physically possible and go from there.

But I'm guessing Slash has a budget slightly over £515.
R E G G A E
^^ me too, but i was referring to the weight of a les paul and jumping around with one and as far as I know that doesn't change significantly as you spend more on one. Re-reading my post though, it is far from obvious that that was what i meant.
If you jump around a lot go for an SG - light as anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
have a look in Mckormack music at which esps they have, Sound control for jackson. No idea what guitar guitar or merchant city have but glasgow is the best place to see/try which guitar you want in scotland
You be after a trem?

Check out guitarguitar; it's near the Barras. It has a very good selection of LTD, I think the EC-400 is £500 there. I also like them because they have an amazing selection instore. Also, look up the Jackson DKMG 2006 onwards series if you want a trem. Or maybe a Schecter Blackjack or something. If you want to buy on the net, Washburn X50PRO or X40PRO would be amazing for you hehe.

I'm not a big fan of McCormacks, millions of people stop by there and touch the guitars. It's ridiculous! If you go to Merchant City, make sure you know the price of your guitars you want, you can price match. But usually the prices there are very reasonable

Good luck!
Quote by TheDarkestNights
But I'm guessing Slash has a budget slightly over £515.

Yeah he probably has a much nicer Les Paul than the one you're looking at, but weight-wise it's still a large lump of mahogany.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by guitarist41
Yup. I'll be going to merchant city.

And yeas they've got a Ltd Edish les paul midnight coming in I believe.
But how heavy are les pauls? I mean I jump around alot.

Merchant City's cool, then there's Guitar Guitar, Strung Out, McCormack's, 2 Sound Controls, and the Guitar Store.

Personally, I like Strung Out, but they have a limited choice. Guitar Guitar's good. Bill Whitelaw is the man, if he's in.
McCormacks has some good ESPs, and Merchant City has some nice PRS SE's.

'Course, if it was me, I'd be all over the Epiphone Dots, but, y'know... That's just me.
Or the Epi '56 Goldtop... That is very sexy.

For you... How about the '69 Mustang, or the Jazzmaster? Maybe even the Tele Deluxe?

Really all about taste, y'know? But there're some nice guitars in that price range.