So I've made the transistion from Guitar to Bass, for the purposes of a band. I've noticed that my picking just isnt cutting it with the monotony of the bass songs we've been playing and I've walked out with my right hand cramped from my thumb to wrist. I just wanna few things, the basics of playing with your fingers and slap bass, and any suggestions for a more relaxed Technique that could help me out.

Make me proud with your responses!
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Honestly, I'm dissapointed. No responses? Shame.
I thought this counted as Guitar/Bass basics. It's why it's here.
Quote by greety
Ah, you make a good point.

Well, I don't play bass so...yeah.
Quote by yawn
Nobody likes mods...
Especially mods named Josh. What a silly name.

I found this post in another thread, and it's mainly about playing with your fingers, so I thought it might help you out a bit:
Quote by gboblyn
This is all my opinion, but:

The key to playing with fingers is to remember that you don't have to hit the strings that hard (unless you're playing slap, but even then...). Just lightly pluck them. And practice using two (or three) fingers as early as possible, especially on different strings. If not it will just make it that much harder to learn later. Just experiment, but personally I like to rest my thumb on the string above the one I'm playing or the pick-up (depends on the speed of the song). That might just be making up for sloppy technique, but if it allows me to play cleaner I'll allow it. Doesn't really slow me down any.

If you're getting hand cramps it seems logical that your problem is overworking the hand, which might be coming from trying to hit the strings too hard. I can't be too sure though, because I don't play much bass.

I've heard that the best technique is to basically "anchor" your thumb on the pickup just above the lowest string, but I suppose different people have different ways of playing. That's what I've always done, and it might even be what you're already doing.

As far as slapping goes, I don't know much. From what I've gathered over the years, you're basically just using your thumb to slap the strings. I don't know how difficult of a technique it is to master, but it's something I really want to be able to do. Um, like I said though, I don't know enough about the instrument to really help you out. Just wait for an experienced bassist to come along, surely they'll give you a hand... I have faith in UG.

Now I have a question for you... Are you having any trouble with your left hand? With the difference in the frets and all?
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
In the couple of times I've played bass, I just rest my thumb on the side of the guitar (the edge facing me) and curl my fingers inwards towards me it an alternating motion with my index and middle fingers.

However poor technique that may be, 'tis what I do. Hope it helps Greet.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by greety

Well i can't argue that point. And my response wasn't meant to be negative. Just seemed like a question that would get more of an appropriate answer from advanced players of the bass. And probably from a respected bass player.

Awe what the hell, i have to ask. Do you like the change?
epic7734
Quote by Instrumetal
In the couple of times I've played bass, I just rest my thumb on the side of the guitar (the edge facing me) and curl my fingers inwards towards me it an alternating motion with my index and middle fingers.

However poor technique that may be, 'tis what I do. Hope it helps Greet.
That's what I did the first time I played bass and all of my bassist friends laughed at me.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Im a bass nub, but I would rest my thumb on the pickup and curl my fingers into the strings n pluck and when I would go down strings I would rest my thumb on the string above the string im plucking. It works for me, dunno if thats how you're really supposed to do it.

I guess you just have to get those finger picking muscles up to strength.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by epic7734
Well i can't argue that point. And my response wasn't meant to be negative. Just seemed like a question that would get more of an appropriate answer from advanced players of the bass. And probably from a respected bass player.

Awe what the hell, i have to ask. Do you like the change?

I do, actually. I still play guitar and such in my spare time..but yeah I enjoy playing Bass just as much.

Quote by Pan-Tallica
Now I have a question for you... Are you having any trouble with your left hand? With the difference in the frets and all?

ololol, i'm 6'4 and have monster hands..so no..I'm not.
Hm, I guess all the "real" bassists are in the Bass Thread...

They don't get out much
The bass forum would kill you for this. We all hate guitarists switching to bass there.

There's a how to slap thread at the top of the bass forum, as well as one in the archives.

For fingerstyle playing, rest your thumb on either the lowest string (E on a 4, B on a 5), the pickups, or the thumbrest. Mounting will give you a LOT more strength, especially as a beginner fingerstyle player.

Just practice playing for a while, takes about a week to get up to normal speed. I built it up with Taxman by the Beatles (the bridge) and My Generation by the Who.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
this will sound so gay, but unless you're going for some specific tone you're going to want to just tickle the strings. Watch some youtubes of guys that have been playing a while, they make it look easy because they aren't digging in and using 100% effort to get some noise from these things. Slapping? practice tapping the side of your thumb against everything that you can, steering wheel, desk, table, thigh, just everything everywhere all the time.
Quote by UtBDan
The bass forum would kill you for this. We all hate guitarists switching to bass there.

Band Purposes, I still play guitar...and in fact...if my band ever uses a Rhythm Guitarist it will be me. It's a temporary thing..hahah..i'm not changing sides..though I might in the future.
Im a real bassist and a guitarist. Bass came first for me. For me anchoring the thumb is key. Your fingers will float over the strings. I would risk to say a finger bassist can produce more notes than any rythm guitarist could . Why? Because you will use two fingers to play. Every one pick stroke a guitarist can do a finger bassist can make 2 hits. Set your bass lower on your body for fingers than when you play with a pick. This may reduce cramps.
when playing fingerstyle, rest your thumb on top of the pick up and make sure that your fingers can reach the E and A strings. When you start to play fingerstyle always start with your ring finger then index. When you need to move to the D or G strings rest your thumb on the E string.

For slap, basically slap the string at the end of the neck with the side of your thumb. This can take ages to learn (it did for me ) without muting the strings and watch you don't slap too hard otherwise you'll tear the skin off your thumb and that hurts.

hope that explains things.
raise ur guitar to get a better angle.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by vulgarmachine
When you need to move to the D or G strings rest your thumb on the E string.

Ok but If you rest your thumb on the pickup up then you get some serious pivot action and you can really push your thumb to anchor it more. If you rest your thumb on the E string you dont get the solid grounding for when your playing super fast stuff. Speed/Thrash metal etc.
The point where my thumb rests on the pickup is like a hinge. If it wasnt there I couldnt roll 'drrrrrrr' on the open E and skip to the other strings or roll on a note along the E string and skip to the octave on the D. If you see what I mean. But for other kinds of music I suppose resting your thumb on the E string works.
Quote by greety
Honestly, I'm dissapointed. No responses? Shame.

Did I see a MOD bumping??? <.< >.>
No just <>< bumping an 11 month old thread...... my bad.

Quote by <><
Icy Hot might help.

oh god..................... (walks out of thread)

Gear:
-------------------------------
Guitar:
MIM Fender Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
Cube 60

Quote by wyldedarko
Dude, if you already have the capo just put it behind the nut and it lowers everything.

n00bS....
Last edited by Leftyguitar51 at Nov 7, 2007,
practice playing with your fingers. rest your thumb on the pickups. alter between you index and middle fingers.
first time i played bass, i plucked with my thumb and my fingers rested on the pick guard. i later found out thats horrible technique

just practive 8th notes with your index and middle finger, i think

Jack my swag
old thread.^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by sonixon
who the hell reported this?

i reported some icy hot spam. is that it?

edit: wow, i didnt notice how old this was

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Nov 7, 2007,
^ Captian Insano shows no mercy.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>