The only thing a 555 will be good for is an ulcer. It doesn't stay in tune.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Don't ever, under any circumstances, get a JEM555.

JEMs in general aren't known for their great value for money and the 555 is definitely the worst, with the exception of some special editions like the 20th anniversary, which do have the benefit of being a nice collectors item, which the 555 isn't.

The 555 is a Korean RG with a few cosmetic touches (like half of the inlay on a regular JEM) and better pickups.

The trem, overal quality, workmanship, materials and attention to detail on this guitar are far less than those on a regular JEM.

If you want an incredibly overpriced Korean RG, get it. If you don't want to pay hundreds for Steve's name, get a regular RG and swap out the pickups.

This guitar is the wooden equivalent of an STD and with all the plastic on this thing, it's not even good for firewood.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 15, 2007,
personally speaking, as a guitarist who plays a Ibanez JEM 555 WH maroon guitar, i find the guitar quite exhalting in its sound, its body and just how amazing the floyd rose/double locking tremolo works. i my self love it
Ibanez JEM 555 WH Maroon finish
w/ orginal chrome floyd rose
Taylor Acoustic
Digitech Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Fender 40w amp

Quote:

Question: Are Ibanez JEM 555 WH for metal?

Reply: Is a coconut brown?
Quote by Kilerslikecandy
personally speaking, as a guitarist who plays a Ibanez JEM 555 WH maroon guitar, i find the guitar quite exhalting in its sound, its body and just how amazing the floyd rose/double locking tremolo works. i my self love it

What guitar are you talking about?

The Chinese, Japanese, Dutch and American Ibanez site say nothing about a maroon coloured JEM555 or JEM-jr.

Also, most JEM's have gold or black hardware, yet yours has chrome and finally, the WH stands for white. There are no Ibanez guitars that have to colours in their name, mainly because it makes things very confusing.

Could you please post a pic?

The thing is, there are no Ibanez guitars with OFR trems, so someone should have swapped it.

Also, about the colour, either it's a special edition I've heard nothing about, or someone refinished it.

But from the description you're giving me, it sounds like a fake (like I said maybe it's a refinish, but it just sounds fishy from the description).
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 15, 2007,
Quote by Kilerslikecandy

The JEM 55 does not come stock with an OFR, it comes with the Ibanez licensed Floyd Rose, Edge II - a cheaper, less reliable version of the Ibanez Edge tremelo. Also as an owner of a JEM7VWH. the tremelo isn't chrome or gold plated, it is painted (I have worn away the gold finish on my Edge tremelo.)

I don't think we're talking about a stock 555 here
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Bazilisck311
The JEM 55 does not come stock with an OFR, it comes with the Ibanez licensed Floyd Rose, Edge II - a cheaper, less reliable version of the Ibanez Edge tremelo. Also as an owner of a JEM7VWH. the tremelo isn't chrome or gold plated, it is painted (I have worn away the gold finish on my Edge tremelo.)

I don't think we're talking about a stock 555 here

To be very precise: the older JEM555 guitars came with the Edge Pro II and the ones made today are with the Edge III.

Both of these trems are derived from the Edge Pro, which is a different trem from the original Ibanez Edge.

Like I said before, no Ibanez guitar comes, or has ever come, stock with an OFR, but the Edge III is a direct swap with an OFR, so it's possible it has been replaced.
Quote by 6StringCraig
Good post Bonsaichaap.

For Jem 555 money if I had to have an Ibanez I'd take one of these everyday of the week.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg-2570e/67115

Craig

I have the 2620E which is very similar to this guitar, and i have also played this one in the link when i was choosing an ibanez...and its an amazing guitar ! dont get a monkey gripping over priced peice of poo.
Quote by DieKrupps
I have the 2620E which is very similar to this guitar, and i have also played this one in the link when i was choosing an ibanez...and its an amazing guitar ! dont get a monkey gripping over priced peice of poo.

If you like the Rg2620e of course your also going to like the other Prestige RG guitars, given that the necks on all Prestige RG guitars are the same.

Also, the JEM555 isn't crap, it's just very, very heavily overpriced. In terms of quality it's equal to Korean Rgs, which are fine, just not the JEM555's pricetag fine.

Granted, there are many overpriced guitars in the world that people will still buy, but the JEM555 is a good example of how a name can inflate prices: your paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
If you like the Rg2620e of course your also going to like the other Prestige RG guitars, given that the necks on all Prestige RG guitars are the same..

i was just making a point. If a link is posted in a thread i read with a guitar i have played and the thread regards a decision between guitars, of course im going to contribute my opinion, and the fact that ive played that guitar and own a RG prestige myself makes it valid. comprende
Quote by DieKrupps
i was just making a point. If a link is posted in a thread i read with a guitar i have played and the thread regards a decision between guitars, of course im going to contribute my opinion, and the fact that ive played that guitar and own a RG prestige myself makes it valid. comprende

I didn't mean you shouldn't contribute your opinion, or that it was in invalid in anyway, in fact the more people giving advice against the JEM555 the better, it was just a general piece of information, which you probably already know.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
To be very precise: the older JEM555 guitars came with the Edge Pro II and the ones made today are with the Edge III.

555 originally came with LoTRSII, so OFR isn't such a long shot for those. I don't think the dude's specifically referring to the OFR though, rather to a generic Floyd Rose style trem. Am I right? Am I?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
555 originally came with LoTRSII, so OFR isn't such a long shot for those. I don't think the dude's specifically referring to the OFR though, rather to a generic Floyd Rose style trem. Am I right? Am I?

Not sure.

it says original chrome Floyd Rose in his sig. Doesn't it? Doesn't it?

And yes you're right about the LoTRSII, but I didn't want to go that far back.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Not sure.

it says original chrome Floyd Rose in his sig. Doesn't it? Doesn't it?

And yes you're right about the LoTRSII, but I didn't want to go that far back.

Oh man, there's nothing original about chrome. Now if it was polkadot yellow and green, that would be fairly... original.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
Oh man, there's nothing original about chrome. Now if it was polkadot yellow and green, that would be fairly... original.

Why don't you sell your idea to Ibanez, they can use it on their HAM100th models. It would turn quite a few heads (though far less wallets) I reckon
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Why don't you sell your idea to Ibanez, they can use it on their HAM100th models. It would turn quite a few heads (though far less wallets) I reckon
Only Gilbert will buy them. Four of them. And play them all. At the same time. Because he can.
Quote by pifty
Only Gilbert will buy them. Four of them. And play them all. At the same time. Because he can.

Damn straight.

I really hope he'll come up with something special for the PGM100th. The 90th is probably one of the best looking guitars Ibanez has ever made and the 10th is pretty damn kickass too (plus it has a 25th fret).
Quote by thedonutman
Its a simple 3 step process.

1. Buy any Japanese made RG with Edge, Lo-pro or Edge Pro.
2. Put Dimarzio Evolutions in.
3. Beat the crap out of the Jem555.

Nobody wants a Edge III with a half vine and that cheesy "Steve Vai" inlay.

Eventhough there are more nice Ibanez trems, that is pretty much what it comes down to; a Japanese Rg will almost certainly be better, especially with a pickup change (though it's not necessary).
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Granted, there are many overpriced guitars in the world that people will still buy, but the JEM555 is a good example of how a name can inflate prices: your paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Don't ever, under any circumstances, get a JEM555.

JEMs in general aren't known for their great value for money and the 555 is definitely the worst, with the exception of some special editions like the 20th anniversary, which do have the benefit of being a nice collectors item, which the 555 isn't.

The 555 is a Korean RG with a few cosmetic touches (like half of the inlay on a regular JEM) and better pickups.

The trem, overal quality, workmanship, materials and attention to detail on this guitar are far less than those on a regular JEM.

If you want an incredibly overpriced Korean RG, get it. If you don't want to pay hundreds for Steve's name, get a regular RG and swap out the pickups.

This guitar is the wooden equivalent of an STD and with all the plastic on this thing, it's not even good for firewood.

+1.

The 555 is IDENTICAL to my Guitar yet it costs over $600 more just for better pickups.