Is this a versatile tube amp? Is it even a tube amp? Or is it another hybrid? I really really need a small (20-30 watts), versatile all-tube amp that can be used to perform soon... Something under $400 hopefully... Almost all places i play at have a PA.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
valvetronix is hybrid, only has a tube pre-amp IIRC.

For an all tube amp look for things like fender blues jr.'s or if you're in the UK, a Laney tube amp. Those are really good value.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Its a hybrid mate. It has a tube in the pre-amp but to my ears it sounded just like any other SS.
damn it! i'll look at the laneys... Ist the clean of the blues jr. ok for jazz? CLEAN, traditional jazz like wes montgomery... Because i have some pedals so, no problem with distortion
Quote by Free
Its a hybrid mate. It has a tube in the pre-amp but to my ears it sounded just like any other SS.

awww damn, and i was looking at it like "Whoa, looks like a cool deal".
I've got a Blues Junior, it'd be great for jazz (not that I play nay jazz) the clean sound is lush and the notes sparkle.

It is, however, only a 15W tube amp, so you'd need to go check it out and see if it's loud enough for your needs.
well, i can always mic it... But is there any good tube amp i can buy on like, eBay for about $300? I was hoping like 20-30 watts
Last edited by Kunundrum at Feb 9, 2007,
You can get laney's for that price, also some peavy's go for around that amount. It's hard to get a laney if you're not in the UK or Europe though.....
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
Well it has a tube preamp, and it does sound better than SS (I have tried both extensively). Not completely tube sound, but nice! It's a great deal anyway! It's pretty good for blues, depending on your other gear obviously. But I play mostly Grunge and Metal, so my opinion may not be valid.
if it's only gonna be a 20-30 watt practice amp then why do you care if it's all tube? you're not gonna crank it to the point where the power amp distorts most of the time. why spend twice as much?
DETHKLOK RULZ!
I don't know about other people, but I owned this amp and did not like it. I'd say the cleans are O.K, but overdrive or distortion doesn't even sound as good as on a Fender amp.
It broke down after less than a year of use. Personally I would go for any other amp instead of this. It sucks! Lol, sorry about all the negative crap.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
What about a VJ? I mean, you could probably pick up 2 heads and a 212 cab off ebay and run the heads into the two seperate speakers and just split your signal into the two heads. I'd love to do that...
The Valvetronix is a pretty good value for what it is, however it's no tube amp.
The Valvetronix is a pretty good value for what it is, however it's no tube amp.
I have a Vox AD50VT, and I love it.

They're great amps, especially for the money.
I will do my duty as a sole fan of the roland blues cube and recommend you get a Roland BC-30 or BC-60, as they have great cleans, a tube like overdrive (yes, they can be cranked on the clean channel and sound like a blues junior) and great tone for a great price. They are, however, discontinued, but some sites still have them.

It's a solid state amp with tube-logic technology, read the reviews on harmony central if you don't believe me, this amp is the best kept secret EVER! It will do jazz, blues (obviously) rock, funk etc.

Blues Cube + strat = messy pants.
Gear:
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Laney VC-15
I'm borrowing a blues cube actually, and it sounds GREEAT. unfortunately, it's been discontinued.

Oh yeah, i want a 20-30 watt because it's heavy to carry around a 50...
Last edited by Kunundrum at Feb 10, 2007,