I play live a LOT with a jazz ensemble and an electric bossa, jazz, trad classical, funk ensemble and gig with a jazz/metal band... Is this amp good enough? (Can't afford the ENGL, lol). I'm gonna mic it all the time, so wattage is not really an issue... If not, any suggestions? Something like less than $400...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
If you're micing up, yes. It's fine, just set it to a volume level where it sounds good to you(a bit of breakup is where I usually go for).
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
but versatile? cool, i think i'm set
I've got one, and it sounds orgasmic at band practice volumes, the clean breaks up slightly and you've got this big fat sound.

It's versitile with pedals, but I'm not sure how well you'd get decent metal sounds out of it.
Don't be afraid to care"

maybe with a boss metal core?
Urgh, don't get any pedals with the word "metal" in. Get a highish gain OD.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Kunundrum
maybe with a boss metal core?

"Metal" pedals don't really do great. Unless if you're thinking about the Metal Muff. But your best bet right now is a high gain OD pedal.
Sent from my iPad.
well, i got one for christmas... so might as well use it for now... I AM gonna buy a super OD
If you're playing live jazz, you may want more clean headroom than than a 15W amp can provide for you. Take that $400 to the used market, and you can find a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30, or a Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe. All great versatile amps with double the wattage of the BJ or more.

A lot of folks gig with the Blues Jr., but personally I wouldn't want to gig with less than 30W.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
You are really wasting the Les Paul with an amp like that. Save up more money so you can get an amp which the guitar deserves.
Quote by mr_hankey
You are really wasting the Les Paul with an amp like that. Save up more money so you can get an amp which the guitar deserves.

There is nothing wrong with that amp
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by slatsmania
If you're playing live jazz, you may want more clean headroom than than a 15W amp can provide for you. Take that $400 to the used market, and you can find a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30, or a Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe. All great versatile amps with double the wattage of the BJ or more.

A lot of folks gig with the Blues Jr., but personally I wouldn't want to gig with less than 30W.

I agree, I really like both the hot rod and the peavey classic. great sounding amps, IMO
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by mattldm2003
There is nothing wrong with that amp

Sure, but it's not exactly in the same league his guitar is (high end, to be more specific).
Quote by Kunundrum
I play live a LOT with a jazz ensemble and an electric bossa, jazz, trad classical, funk ensemble and gig with a jazz/metal band... Is this amp good enough? (Can't afford the ENGL, lol). I'm gonna mic it all the time, so wattage is not really an issue... If not, any suggestions? Something like less than $400...

I have to laugh, you have the Wow-zer guitar worth $2000 and your amp is like worth only $200 being generous!

But yeah, just mic it and it will sound really nice!!!
Wowzer guitar. this was a gift... Unfortunately, i don't have that kind of money myself. And i don't wanna sell this guitar...
A gift from who?? Rich bastards...
Don't be afraid to care"

the BJ can get a good metal tone with a Metal Muff. Thats what i use
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by slatsmania

I just gigged with it last night (played a Jazz standard), and it worked out pretty fine, but he's right, you might want more clean headroom.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Completely different amp.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by thestrokesrock
how about a twin reverb

Don't want to carry around that big amp.

Quote by R_H_C_P
A gift from who?? Rich bastards...

A gift from a friend who owns a general musical equipment shop. I played at a concert and my group was endorsing his shop. Used his PA equip. Our performance got a lot of good feedback and my friend gave it to me as a late christmas gift.

anyway,

Still deciding between

a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30, or a Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe.

But might get the BJ for smaller venues...
If I were you, I'd be inclined to go for one of the Fenders.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by Kunundrum

Still deciding between

a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30, or a Fender Hot Rod or Blues Deluxe.

But might get the BJ for smaller venues...

Well, that's a great list of amps for what you're looking for. What you're gonna' have to do now is find them and see which one you like the best out of all of them.
Don't be afraid to care"

I really like the classic thirty... not sure, though if it can do metal very well.
^If you want to play metal, you're looking at the wrong amps.

Unless you're talking about Classic metal, like UFO etc.
Don't be afraid to care"